It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Facial wounds and scabs

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
    My Face Hurts
    (female)

My Face Hurts HB User
    Red face Facial wounds and scabs

I have had cystic acne for about 2 years now. I have been cleaning and picking.

Yes the cysts are drained but now I have enormous scabs along my jawline. They throb and hurt and make me lose focus.

How can I heal these with minimal scarring??

Last edited by Administrator; 03-04-2014 at 07:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
    Stoler99
    (male)

Stoler99 HB UserStoler99 HB User
    Re: Facial wounds and scabs

Hi, you need to stop picking. That will make it worse.
    when you saying cleaning. How are you cleaning the cystic acne.

You need to see a derm and first try an antibiotic.
    The Derm will probably recommend Clindamycin or Doxycycline.

Now some large cysts do not respond to medication and may require drainage and extraction. Drainage and extraction, or “acne surgery” as it is also called, should not be performed by patients. Dermatologists are trained in the proper technique and perform acne surgery under sterile conditions. Patient attempts to drain and extract comedones by squeezing or picking, can lead to infection, worsening of the acne and scarring.

Interlesional Corticosteroid Injection
    When an acne cyst becomes severely inflamed, there is a good chance it will rupture and scarring may result. To treat these severely inflamed cysts and prevent scarring, dermatologists may inject such cysts with a much-diluted corticosteroid. This lessens the inflammation and promotes healing. An interlesional corticosteroid injection works by "melting" the cyst over a period of 3 to 5 days.

Isotretinoin, formerly sold under the brand name Accutane, is a vitamin A derivative. It works by shrinking the sebaceous glands, reducing the amount of oil found on the skin. This, in turn, reduces the amount of comedones produced.
    Because of possible serious side effects, it is used only in cases of very severe or cystic acne after all other treatment options have been exhausted.

But you definitely need to see a Derm if you've had cystic acne for 2 years.

Last edited by Stoler99; 03-23-2014 at 07:27 AM.

Old 03-30-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Facial wounds and scabs

A topical antibiotic like neosporin will help the open wounds to heal -however you should only use it at night. During the day, a medicine with salacylic acid or even benzoil peroxide will help the healing.
    PLease see a dermatologist to get on an antibiotic to stop the cycle of cystic acne from returning.

Closed Thread

Tags
    acne, acne dermatologist lymph cyst, cystic acne, skin cysts