It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• Retin A and closed Comedone

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
    kayseaann
    (female)

kayseaann HB User
    Unhappy Retin A and closed Comedone

Hi Guys, so I've been reading tons of forums about retin a and how it works but I figured I would write my own post and see if anyone else has similar acne. So in middle school, I had closed comedones all over my face! It was seriously so gross and nothing worked. I never went to a dermatologist but I've tried a lot of over the counter like proactive and clean & clear, etc. Anyway, my face cleared as I got older. I seriously had great skin. I never wore makeup and I always got compliments on my skin. One day I decided to try Rose Hip Seed Oil, just because of the rave and boy did I make a HUGE mistake. My face has now closed comedones ALL over it and I'm 26 years old. So I went to the dermatologist and he thought it was irritant contact dermatitis so he gave me cephalexin and steriods. That ended up not helping, so then he suggested it was adult acne and gave me epiduo samples. I took that for a week, and it cleared my skin a lot then all of a sudden my cc started to come back the next week! (total bummer) Anyway, now I'm using Retin a ( 0.025%) and it's been about a week and my face is breaking out even more, even in places where I never break out and it's very itchy. I called my dermatologist and he said that it's not common for a breakout to get worse while using Retin a but from what I read on here, it's very common so now I'm all sorts of confused. Anyway, I'm hoping someone had a similar situation and found a solution! Any help, I'll be grateful for.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2014, 03:13 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Retin A and closed Comedone

My experience with RetinA has been that it only gets worse, or gets itchy when I use too much or use it too often. Although you are tempted to smear it all over the breakouts, You honestly, only need a pea sized amount, and should only use it once a day. Also, make sure you use it 1/2 hour after you dry your face after washing. Any water still on your face will keep the medicine from working.
    It sounds like a terrible reaction to the oil- which rose hip shouldnt be used on the face, its too fragranced and has too much oil clogging ingrediants, but none the less, retinA should help if you stick with it, by removing the closed part of the comedone and allowing the medicine to actually go to work under the skin.
    The longer you use RetinA, the clearer your skin should get, but it wont work over night and you cant use it like an acne medicine. Alittle bit goes a very long way.

Closed Thread