It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

• First accutane experience, can anyone relate??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
    Vilesy
    (male)

Vilesy HB User
    First accutane experience, can anyone relate??

Hello everyone,

So this is my first time on accutane, and also posting to this site. To give you a brief description of myself, I'm a guy, weigh 140 ish, blonde hair blue eyes, around 5'11'' and skateboarding is my passion. Been doing it for 12 years now, have some sponsors and skating really well, but there's just one thing that's been giving me trouble. This acne. It just sucks to be that guy with acne ha but hey gotta deal with it.. I'd say I had moderate acne, very persistent. Whiteheads, blackheads, big red cyst like bumps, you name it. I've tried somuch just like everyone else. Recently was using proactiv plus, it kept it at bay for a while. So now one day I just decided it's time to go on accutane, I'm over it I can't deal with it. It's completely ruined my social life, i hate feeling self conscience cause I love my friends. So here we go accutane.. Here's my story.

The reason I'm posting on here is I wanna share my accutane expierience as well as hear what other people have to say and if they can relate.. I just started my dosage on May 7, today is the 21st. So I'm 2 weeks in today. So into week 1 everything was going well.. Face was average, not too bad. Then all of a sudden one night I just started breaking out. And that's when I realized I hit my IB(initial breakout), so things got pretty bad for a couple of days. It was terrible, zits on my neck, around my mouth, cheeks, chin, jawline. But then a couple days in I was noticing the accutane was drying my skin and lips and starting to clear up what acne I had.. So here I am on week 2 and it's slowly clearing up. I'll start posting my progress.

I'm using cerave hydrating cleanser and cerave moisturizing cream. Are those good? And also does anyone know if The initial breakout might be over soon now since it's starting clear up?

Thanks guys, hope to hear some feedback😄 much love!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: First accutane experience, can anyone relate??

Hi there. What you are going through is normal and to be expected and within another 2-3 weeks you should be clearing up; however cerave products are LOADED with mineral oil and this can clog pores and aggravate the problem. Try switching cleansers and mositurizers. I really like cetaphil - which is similar, however doesnt have the oils in it. Youll still get the mositurizing benefits, without the oils. Remember too, that moisturizers can have hidden oils in the ingrediants. Things like Glycerine and any type of mineral oil or macadamia or grapeseed are still oils, which can still clog pores!
    Hope you continue to improve!
    MSNik

Old 05-23-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
    donatello2014
    (male)

donatello2014 HB User
    Thumbs up Re: First accutane experience, can anyone relate??

Been there, done that... not fun. What bothered me the most was the extremely dry face and lips. The dryness made it feel like I was wearing a mask. I used to go to work with a water moistened towel in a plastic ziplock bag. I would"pat" my face to to give me temporary relief. But I found it only an extremely short term relief and the bacteria growing on that moist towel in that sealed bag was not what my skin needed. After trial and error I found after a hot shower (best), or just resting a fresh very warm very wet towel on my face for 5 minutes or so, my skin would absorb enough of the water. Next is to SEAL IN THE MOISTURE. I used petroleum jelly when my face was still dripping wet. With clean hands, apply it onto your face. Just smooth it over and then take a facecloth with very warm water (as warm as you can stand) fold it and place that on the areas of your face you just applied the p/jelly. You are "melting" it into your skin and making a moisture barrier. Don't wipe, just GENTLY "pat" the skin. THEN LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't touch your face! After I did this, the skin didn't look oily/greasy because the p/jelly was "melted" it in. This worked for me EXTREMELY well, but may not be for everybody. This got me through my work schedule and I was so much more comfortable! JUST DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE. When I got home, I would take a hot shower again and use nothing on my face overnight (to let the skin breath) unless I was going out. The trick is just locking in the moisture. If you think about it, you are also somewhat sealing OUT some pollutants/dirt etc. AND watch for "food" triggers. Mine is coffee (caffeine), or caffeinated sports drinks. Don't forget, always wear clean preferably cotton shirts (I changed mine a few times a day) and, clean bedding all the time. You can get away with a fresh towel on your pillow and one to lay on. especially if the break-out gets messy, then just bleach the towels... Good luck, It's worth it...

Last edited by donatello2014; 05-23-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
    Vilesy
    (male)

Vilesy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
    Hi there. What you are going through is normal and to be expected and within another 2-3 weeks you should be clearing up; however cerave products are LOADED with mineral oil and this can clog pores and aggravate the problem. Try switching cleansers and mositurizers. I really like cetaphil - which is similar, however doesnt have the oils in it. Youll still get the mositurizing benefits, without the oils. Remember too, that moisturizers can have hidden oils in the ingrediants. Things like Glycerine and any type of mineral oil or macadamia or grapeseed are still oils, which can still clog pores!
    Hope you continue to improve!
    MSNik
    thank you for the assurance!! ive been hoping that i would start clearing up pretty soon.. im 19 days in today, and ive stopped picking.. well cut it down by a lot ha but things are starting to heal and im hoping for no new acne. well, bad acne that is. ill be looking into some new moisturizers! thank you for telling me about the mineral oils, im not sure why the heck my doctors told me to get that if its just gonna clog pores ha once again thank you!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
    Vilesy
    (male)

Vilesy HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by donatello2014 View Post
    Been there, done that... not fun. What bothered me the most was the extremely dry face and lips. The dryness made it feel like I was wearing a mask. I used to go to work with a water moistened towel in a plastic ziplock bag. I would"pat" my face to to give me temporary relief. But I found it only an extremely short term relief and the bacteria growing on that moist towel in that sealed bag was not what my skin needed. After trial and error I found after a hot shower (best), or just resting a fresh very warm very wet towel on my face for 5 minutes or so, my skin would absorb enough of the water. Next is to SEAL IN THE MOISTURE. I used petroleum jelly when my face was still dripping wet. With clean hands, apply it onto your face. Just smooth it over and then take a facecloth with very warm water (as warm as you can stand) fold it and place that on the areas of your face you just applied the p/jelly. You are "melting" it into your skin and making a moisture barrier. Don't wipe, just GENTLY "pat" the skin. THEN LEAVE IT ALONE. Don't touch your face! After I did this, the skin didn't look oily/greasy because the p/jelly was "melted" it in. This worked for me EXTREMELY well, but may not be for everybody. This got me through my work schedule and I was so much more comfortable! JUST DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE. When I got home, I would take a hot shower again and use nothing on my face overnight (to let the skin breath) unless I was going out. The trick is just locking in the moisture. If you think about it, you are also somewhat sealing OUT some pollutants/dirt etc. AND watch for "food" triggers. Mine is coffee (caffeine), or caffeinated sports drinks. Don't forget, always wear clean preferably cotton shirts (I changed mine a few times a day) and, clean bedding all the time. You can get away with a fresh towel on your pillow and one to lay on. especially if the break-out gets messy, then just bleach the towels... Good luck, It's worth it...
    Wow! thank you for the tips! those were great! my face honestly hasnt became that dried out yet.. i mean it has, but with a good moisturizer it keeps it under control. i do have like spots that are flaky, which blows! cause i feel like im ocd sometimes ha but ive been drinking mad water and that seems to be helping alot too. what was your acne like? cystic? also, im 19 days in right now. still have spots, but they are healing up.. i just wanna start getting to the point where there starts becoming less and less new bumps. or at least no big ones.. right now there are no new active ones. knock on wood. ha

Closed Thread

Tags
    accutane, acne, cystic acne, male