It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acne Message Board

Accutane and Winter - Advice needed!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-01-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
26Point2
(female)

26Point2 HB User
Question Accutane and Winter - Advice needed!

Hello everyone! Any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated!

I am 29, F, avid distance runner and have been on 40mg (20mg AM, 20mg PM) of Accutane for the past 2 months. I am seeing my derm in 2 weeks and I'm assuming I'll go up to 60-80mg. Anyway, things have been going pretty well, just experiencing the "typical" side effects: lips, eyes, skin extremely dry/flaky and occasionally itchy scalp, sensitivity to sun. Aquaphor has been a life saver! I use the tub of thick cream on my face/body and the lip stuff for the lips (Captain Obvious here). I also only wash my hair every 2-3 days and deep condition, which has helped with the flaking.

What I am having issues with is when I do any running, no matter how long or far, my face gets really raw and wind burned! I know the wind and cold has a lot to do with it, and living in PA there's no escape, but it's only Nov. and come Dec. my running group starts marathon training. Between the Accutane making me really sensitive to sun, wind, cold and sweat from running I am at a loss for what to do!
I'm looking for ANY advice!! I have tried using the Aquaphor and Vaseline before runs, but I end up sweating them off, which doesn't help matters. I have a balaclava (kind of a full face skin tight mask that wicks moisture and covers everything but your eyes), and I was going to try using the above to help hold in and protect my face, but I'm concerned that with the sweating it will make my face even more raw.

Any suggestions that any of you do would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Accutane and Winter - Advice needed!

Hi. I suggest using the full face mask WITHOUT any creams underneathe. When you get back inside and shower (remember tepid water not hot) Mositurize like crazy when you get out.
You are doing everything right! Congrats on being a step ahead of the game by knowing what to use!
good luck!!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
26Point2
(female)

26Point2 HB User
Re: Accutane and Winter - Advice needed!

Thanks!! That actually makes sense to try since my face will be protected from the elements. I'll see how it goes this weekend! Have a good one!

Closed Thread

Tags
accutane, acne, face acne, running, skin care