It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board

My sister is on Life Support

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
carolskating
(female)

carolskating HB User
My sister is on Life Support

She is 57 years old and never smoked. She has double pneumonia. Was placed in ICU almost 2 months ago and was immediately put on a ventilator. The ventilator was removed about 3 weeks ago and immediately put back. Then last week, she got a tracheotomy. She is kept under total sedation with a paralytic, propopal, versed and morphine for pain. The breathing machine was giving her 100% oxygen saturation and she was having trouble maintaining 95% but now they lowered the machine to give her 70% and she is maintaining 94% oxygen in her blood. This is extremely stressful and I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this and if you or your loved one survived and is fine now. The doctors say she may have ARDS. Is there hope?
Carol

Last edited by carolskating; 06-04-2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: better explaining the oxygen saturation sentence

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
mikeybo14
(male)

mikeybo14 HB User
Re: My sister is on Life Support

I really hope that your sister survived. I had ARDS 6 years ago. Was in an induced coma for 49 days and was completely delirious for another two weeks. Before that I had a liver transplant and was having follow up surgery a year an a half later when the illness struck. I also had a trache
but I got lucky and although I never fully recovered, there is life ARDS.

Reply Reply