It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) Message Board

Hoping for some advice on Shortness of Breath

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-12-2015, 04:23 AM   #1
Circseam
(male)

Circseam HB User
Hoping for some advice on Shortness of Breath

Good morning,
I'm looking for someone to confirm that they too are sharing the same experiences as me and hopefully find out what it is and how it can be treated.

Brief summary, Im 45 years old, 6ft 1" tall and am overweight, 20 Stone, smoke but on the positive side, don't drink!

I left the UK for a new work challenge in Denmark about 8 months ago and don't have the support network I once had to discuss this issue with.

2 years ago I went to my GP complaining of shortness of breath and was directed to see a consultant at the NHS, I had tests (lung capacity, barium meal, chest x-rays and UT), they discovered a polyp on my gall bladder and I went private and had my gall bladder removed, the operation was a success but the shortness of breath continued and it took me almost a year to get over the operation. In the meantime I started seeing a private Doctor whom diagnosed gastritis but basically said loose weight and all the breathing issues will go away, I thought this was too simplistic to be correct and he also noted that I had a hernia, I had this repaired by a private clinic.

I also lost my father during the same period, moved house, had the above two operations and at the time had a very stressful time at work, all of which seemed to come at the same time, the doctor thought perhaps I had anxiety also!

So for the last 2 years I keep having these episodes of the feeling of not being able to breath and seems only to dissipate when I burp but the feeling of not being able to breath makes me panic (flight or fright) which ends up with me hyperventilating and feeling even worse.

Here in Denmark Ive been to see my GP whom tested my lung capacity and had a chest x-ray all of which were fine but the shortness of breath continues.

I usually have an "attack" leaving work in the car on the journey home which carries on until I go to bed and sleep, however, it seems to be continuously with me all day for the past few weeks.

Is this anxiety? or something else?

I just want to return to a "normal" life without having to take drugs such as citillapram (was on it for a year but weaned myself off it as hated the side effects!).

Also the latest attack happened after eating pasta, I had noticed a lot of bowel gas previously after eating pasta, could this be somehow connected?

I would appreciate any help anyone can offer, hopefully some tips to conquer whatever this is.

Sorry for the punctuation and spelling but time pressed as at work.

Thanks in advance

Circseam

Last edited by Circseam; 02-12-2015 at 04:27 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply