It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Am I making this feeling up, or is it real?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 01-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
    probablyokay
    (female)

probablyokay HB User
    Exclamation Am I making this feeling up, or is it real?

Hello,

Let's start with some background! I am a girl in her first year of college. In high school I was one of the smartest kids, president of every club, valedictorian, but once I got to college I freaked out. Within 3 months I had a complete mental breakdown and took a medical withdrawal from college before the end of the first semester. Then after winter break I started to attend a college closer to home (in the same state vs. four states away), but I still feel terrible. In the time between my medical withdrawal and the start of the winter term I started treatment for anxiety and depression and got on daily medication, while seeing a therapist regularly.

I have always been a shy person in general, but at the same time I am willing to talk the ears of anyone who is willing to listen. When I was little my doctors thought I might have autism, but ADHD/ADD was never on the table. My mom has ADD and takes medication for it.

Recently I've been trying to figure out why my antidepressant is not helping me function and I have been thinking about the possibility of ADHD. As a disclaimer I am very prone to self diagnosing, but I am almost always right (except for one time when I thought my appendix burst). I have looked at a lot of lists for common ADHD things in young adult women and I feel like I have almost all of the symptoms.

My problem is that I am worried that any doctor I talk to will just think I'm trying to get medication, but in reality I am just so scared that I am going to have to take another medical withdrawal from college. I study so hard and I feel like I do everything right, but as soon as it comes time to actually take a test I cannot do it. I feel like I am being surpassed by all of my peers even though I used to be good at stuff???

Basically I want to know if anyone has any advice on talking to doctors/ what doctors to talk to. I just want a definitive answer from a doctor because I think that would ease my mind even if they told me that I didn't have ADHD because then I would stop worrying myself sick about it (and I mean that literally... I have puked multiple times in the past 48 hours worried about this).

This is so long, but I hope someone reads at least some of it and can help me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    adhd, adhd symptoms, college, diagnose, worry