It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

How to make sure you eat while on adderall

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-10-2016, 05:33 PM   #1
ConnorR
(male)

ConnorR HB User
How to make sure you eat while on adderall

Recently I've started taking adderall again to help me focus in school. It has been helping but even more recently I had to go from 20mg-30mg because the adderall would where off too soon. Soon I might have to go up even higher because the affects still don't last long enough. And I have an issue of not eating enough, even when I was on 20mg. It's progressively been getting harder to feed myself. I could force feed myself, but not for 6 days every week. I just want to know what kinds of foods that could be good to eat while on adderall to make sure I'm above 2,000-2,200 calories a day, or just other tips that people who have the same issue use to make sure they eat enough.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
Shamash9
(male)

Shamash9 HB User
Re: How to make sure you eat while on adderall

There is certainly no magic-bullet for this. Each of us who have long taken adderall have different coping mechanisms for dealing with the loss of appetite and I'd like to share mine with you. First of all, I don't think it's an appetite suppressant as much as it's telling your brain to think about food differently. People with untreated ADD use food as a stimulant whether or not they're hungry. You start feeling antsy, your dopamine and seratonin levels are low, and your body will crave a snack just to get that mild serotonin and dopamine boost that comes from eating something pleasurable and a spike in blood-sugar. Now that your neurotransmitter chemicals are beginning to normalize, the urge to eat for stimulation isn't necessarily there anymore and you're just going to have to accept and treat eating as a chore like brushing your teeth. Secondly, the "appetite suppression" won't always be as acute as it is now after you've had a few weeks/months to adjust, you'll find that you're eating plenty without having to "force" yourself to eat to the same degree.

Third, you should start working out if you aren't already. I like to lift and do martial arts and I have that extra motivation to eat as a source of fuel for my body. Engaging in either of these activities without the proper fuel will put you on the sidelines quickly and you won't build muscle. I make sure I eat for fuel, not for pleasure, and I would submit that I eat much healthier as a result.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited by mod85; 10-13-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:03 AM   #3
Lethargic Lady
(female)

Lethargic Lady HB User
Re: How to make sure you eat while on adderall

It really is hard to eat on Adderall. I bought myself a Nutri Ninja blender. It's a little expensive but the cheap ones can't handle ice. I make a smoothie with a banana, vanilla flavored high protein milk and some ice. You can make a smoothie with anything but it's important to get enough protein. It goes down easy and you can drink it while you're studying or while you're driving so you don't have to stop what you're doing to eat. And it only takes a few minutes to make it.

Reply Reply

Tags
adderall, eating habits