It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

motivating story for parents

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-05-2003, 06:51 AM   #1
roadmap

roadmap HB User
Smile motivating story for parents

A little motivating story for the parents of kids who learn and think differently: When I was about9-10 years old, many, many years ago, I had a teacher who did not understand my way of learning. She was convinced that I was retarded and she told my parents that I needed to be put in a school for retarded children. I know this because I was listening outside the principal's office. My parents told me she said it was because I was so impulsive, couldn’t sit still, and could not read like the other kids. I remember that, no matter how hard I tried, I could not create a neat homework paper. My mother, the forward thinker that she was, had me tested and the psychologist said I was dyslexic. Although the school was resistant, my parents insisted on a switch of teachers. Things gradually improved but throughout elementary school and early HS, I felt stupid. I then attended a HS without grades and flourished there. I met a wonderful teacher who encouraged me. I was so determined to prove to myself that I wasn’t stupid, that I began to work very hard. I graduated HS a year early; did very well in college, and now have two graduate degrees. For the past several years I have worked as the CEO of a small business; manage a $15 million+ budget and employ almost 200 people. The impulsivity grew into enthusiasm, the distractability grew into multitasking. Somewhere along the line I compensated. Although when tested for dyslexia as an adult in a graduate class, presumably to teach me how to evaluate others,I was surprised when the professor said, “my dear, do you know that you are quite dyslexic.” I did but thought because I was so successful, it had just gone away. Anyway, for years I could not even talk about what it felt like to be a young child and feel so badly about yourself. I believe so thoroughly that I did well because my parents had unwavering faith in me and my ability. Now my son faces similar challenges and I find we run into similar ignorant teachers who equate learning disabilities with lack of intelligence or ability. They are wrong. Sometimes thinking a bit differently can be an asset.

[This message has been edited by roadmap (edited 04-05-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread