It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

Can't remember anything!

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
scruphelpplease
(female)

scruphelpplease HB User
Can't remember anything!

So lately I've been really forgetful. I leave the fridge door open, forget where I put my phone, and I'll go to wash my hands, then I think "oh I'm thirsty" so I go to get a drink, set it down, and forget what I was doing in the first place. This is happening with everything! An lately my days just run together. And everything seems so slow. I can take HOURS writing a paper, but an hour drive can seem like twenty minutes.

And I have to have the same thing repeated over and over to me.
It's been like this before, but it seems to be worse.
Has this happened to anyone? I feel like I'm going insane!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-24-2016, 02:50 AM   #2
Krissanne
(female)

Krissanne HB User
Re: Can't remember anything!

Sounds like me at times...
How's your daily routine?
What helps me is daily exercise at the same time, early and it helps my coordination memory and flexibility.
It helps set the pace for the day.
Try 20 min of walking.

Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
Pepperd
(female)

Pepperd HB User

Definitely, this is a problem for me and others I know have this condition. You're not alone! I suspect it's the same cognitive issue that makes us frequently late and poor at understanding directions in new areas. Thirty years before her diagnosis, my mom - the sweetest and most devoted imaginable - would constantly forgot to pick me up from school! It would just slip her mind until at least a half an hour or so after it let out, and she'd be flustered and mad at herself and bewildered how it happened.

She finally got a wristwatch with a timer on it to solve the problem, and that's the best way to go about dealing with this aspect of the condition. A huge part of managing it is behavioral therapy - but if that's not possible, you can benefit greatly from making your own system of checks and balances. Setting alarms, learning one of the many popular "getting things done" methods these days - I treated myself to a pretty day planner, and using it diligently has been... Well, tough, but it's helped a lot so far. A friend of mine has a system where an appointed person calls or texts a few times a day, just to help her refocus if (and when) she's been distracted from her plans and routines, and might regret it late..It's frustrating, but it can really pay off to build a system of a count ability like that.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Hey there, sorry to hear you're having issues with your memory. My son is the same. He is 12, but has been complaining quite a lot the past 12 or so months of memory fog and forgetfulness in the same ways as you're describing above.

I have not found any way to help him just yet but I wanted you to know that you're not alone If I come up with any sure proof ideas on how to help I will come back and let you know. Right now, memory alerts on his phone or iPad is helping but if he doesn't write down on the alarm time what the alarm was put on for then of course he forgets what he's meant to be doing

Cheers,
K.

Reply Reply