It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

How should I pursue this with a doctor?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-07-2017, 08:21 PM   #1
Mossyoakbow27
(male)

Mossyoakbow27 HB User
Question How should I pursue this with a doctor?

Hello, I will try to keep this short, first time ever asking a question on a forum. I am a 21 year old male, and to start this off, I have never been a pill taking kind of person, I very rarely even take Tylenol. A friend of mine had a prescription of adderall, I told him offhandedly in conversation, that ever since I was a child, doctors and teachers have been telling my parents I should get looked at for ADHD. Long story short, he gave me one pill, and I took it to see if it helped and after two hours I was almost in tears because it was like an enormous fog was lifted. My whole life has consisted of 53 things going on in my head at once and my attention always being shifted, the forgetfulness, the inability to focus on one thing completely. I always chocked these things up to being normal or just my personal attributes. I was curious if I should talk to a doctor, because honestly I never want to go back to the way I have lived my days before this, I never knew life could be so clear, I actually lived in the moment for once. How do I not come off as someone just trying to get drugs for nefarious reasons? (I have never actually sat and told a doctors about my issues, slightly nervous around them.) Is adderall safe short and long-term? Any input and feedback is much appreciated.
Best wishes- MossyOak

Last edited by Mossyoakbow27; 01-07-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Title was awkwardly worded.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: How should I pursue this with a doctor?

Hello MossyOak,

My suggestion; Look for a Psychiatrist within you health insurance. Then make an appointment to be evaluated for ADD/ADHD. The diagnosis and medications for ADD/ADHD is within the field/specialty of a Psychiatrist and would be more helpful than a Primary Care Physician(PCP), in my opinion

There are several medications used for the treatment of ADD/ADHD and all come with about the same side effects. Some are not bothered by side effects and some are.

Hope all goes well with whatever Dr. you decide to see about this issue.

Reply Reply

Tags
adderall