It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

First day of Ritalin: really unpleasant side effects

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
TopTaff31
(male)

TopTaff31 HB User
Exclamation First day of Ritalin: really unpleasant side effects

Hi all,

Really looking for some advice here. I was diagnosed with ADHD on Wednesday, and I took my first dose of Ritalin (Medikinet I think it's called) of 5mg on the Thursday morning, 30 minutes after eating my morning porridge.

Regardless of me eating on pretty much a full stomach, I got stomach aches throughout the day, and pretty much every side effect imaginable: headaches, blurry vision, slurred speech, general feeling of 'zoned out', loss of appetite and a horrible metallic taste in my mouth

I tried eating a lot and drinking a lot throughout the day to try and alleviate the symptoms, but nothing really made it better. It was only on the Friday morning after that all of the side effects had died down.

So what should I do? I only took 5mg and didn't take any more after because of the bad side effects which overshadowed any benefits (if any). Should I ask my doctor to try me on another med? Vyvanse, perhaps?

Thank you all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Yume1
(female)

Yume1 HB User
Re: First day of Ritalin: really unpleasant side effects

Hello,
I was also diagnosed with ADHD and have been taking Ritalin (Methylphenidate) for about nine years now. I used to eat a lot and act obnoxiously until I started the medication. Some common side effects include loss of appetite, nausea, headaches, and/or numbness to your toes or fingers (etc). When you first start taking Ritalin, it is common to have loss of appetite or any other of the minor symptoms. Your body is not used to the medicine at first, and will take some time to adjust. When I first started taking Ritalin, I experienced major weight loss and was below the average weight for a child. But, after a few years or so, my body finally adjusted and I started to gain more weight gradually. These are common when you first start, but if you experience rapid heartbeat, trouble breathing or any other major symptom(s), you need to tell your doctor. Also, if you say that the medicine is not beneficial at all to you, consult your doctor to either ask if you should continiue to take Ritalin, or even lower your dose. If you are considering to change your medication (Ritalin) to Vyvanse, talk to your doctor about it. I have stuck with Ritalin since the beginning and right now my dosage is 36mg. I am not the most knowledgeable about Ritalin or Vyvanse, but I'm confident your doctor is. All in all, talk with your doctor and how you want to approach your concerns. Hope this helps you!

Reply Reply

Tags
adhd, ritalin, side effects, vyvanse