It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

how to talk to my doctor about ADD

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-22-2017, 12:27 AM   #1
Zespring
(female)

Zespring HB User
how to talk to my doctor about ADD

I'm 21, and I'm fairly certain I have ADD. I've had bad symptoms, but never could decide to do anything about it. When I was 7, my sister, who was 14, had been submitted to a mental hospital for multiple reasons for 2 years. In the process they drugged her up so bad she couldn't do anything but sit and mindlessly drool. I hated seeing her like that, and it made me want to avoid medications for myself. But I live on my own and am attending college right now and can tell that my problems are messing with my progress that I should be making. I'm nearly failing all of my courses, which I know I should be doing better. I comprehend everything full, I just cant make myself sit down and work on homework. Or when I'm stressed with homework piling on - I pretend like I don't have any. I try and make myself sit down to finish it, but my mind constantly wanders. I cant even hold a normal conversation at times, someone will speak to me, and I'll be having an adventure in my own head. Same could be said for my bills as my homework. I tend to end up with late fees, simply because I tell myself that I can take care of it later. There are tons of other instances, but I don't want to make this an essay.

Anyways, I first thought that I had depression, which I still think I do. I've had periods of extreme melancholy. I thought that I procrastinated so much, simply because I lacked the motivation. But recently I ended up getting Ritalin from my brother, who has ADHD, after talking to him he thought I should try it. It made me feel clear headed, and calm. After looking up all the symptoms for ADD, and how the Ritalin affected me, I feel like my brother was right.

That was about a year ago after I bombed my first semester of college. A few months ago I made a doc appointment for my depression, and wanted to talk to my doc about ADD as well to see what could be done about it, to see if I actually had it. I heard that there are non-stimulant meds that work on people with ADD/ADHD while doing nothing for others, so I thought I could try that out to know for sure. I was really nervous about it because I didn't know how to approach the subject without seeming like I was just planning on getting meds to abuse... and so I wasn't very bold about it. My doc breezed right through to prescribing me Lexapro and didn't really talk at all about ADD when I mentioned it.

The Lexapro has done well in raising my general mood, when I actually remember to take it consistently. I've given the antidepressants a few months to see how it changes my daily life, but I still have all those symptoms that I described before. My anxiety regarding this is getting worse, as I think its important to get this done and over with but I just can't make myself take care of it. How do I go about mentioning the fact that I think I have ADD to my doctor? should I state that that's why I'm seeing her when I make the appointment?

Last edited by Administrator; 04-22-2017 at 09:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2017, 10:43 AM   #2
Snoopy61
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User
Re: how to talk to my doctor about ADD

The best Dr. to see regarding ADHD, if you have it or don't, is a Psychiatrist. The medications and testing for ADHD as well as depression is within the specialty of a Psychiatrist. Discussing your concerns about having ADHD with a Primary Care Physician could be different. Many Primary Care Physicians are not comfortable with prescribing ADHD medication and some will not prescribe them.

All ADHD medications are a Schedule II controlled substance.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:51 PM   #3
Dragonfly Wings
Senior Veteran

Dragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB UserDragonfly Wings HB User

Heya Zespring & Welcome

It sounds as though a good talk with a psychiatrist would be of great benefit for you to receive the proper assessments, diagnosis, referrals etc to help you. My teen son has ADHD and is medicated but also has therapy every few weeks to help manage his anxieties etc. He has a case manager, counsellor, psychiatrist and paediatrician who all work quite closely together to ensure he's receiving the best health care he can. I hope you have a circle of professionals who can help you too and this info has been of benefit!

All the very best!
DW.

Old 05-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #4
amandax53
(female)

amandax53 HB User

I asked my primary doctor to be screened for ADHD. The doctor and nurse each asked me about 5-10 questions and that was it. Hopefully it is that easy for you.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #5
PrestonJames
(female)

PrestonJames HB User

I am needing help for my boyfriend. I have known him 20 years and been together for 3.
In that timeframe there is are times when he is very attentive, and other times when he is very neglectful of me. He has broken it off with me 3 times and come back each time after he has had a little time to get himself together.
He works on tons of projects, model tanks, star wars stuff, and whatever the next project is. He said it helps him focus. He is always very tired and not super active unless it's something he wants to do.
Throughout the years he has said more than once... I think I had ADD.
Right now we are on a break for him to sort himself out.
So iam on here asking for help in an area I know very little about.
Could his emotions being all over the place have something to do with the ADD as well?
Any input would be helpful.. Thank you

Reply Reply