It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Guafecine for a 4 year old

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-27-2018, 02:38 PM   #1
    MPA26
    (female)

MPA26 HB User
    Guafecine for a 4 year old

I took my 4 year old daughter to a developmental pediatrician today and she was diagnosed with ADHD. She has a very high IQ that when combined with the ADHD causes her to become extremely frustrated and anxious because she knows what she is supposed to do but canít focus long enough to do it. Since her ADHD is pretty significant and really causing her to struggle she was prescribed Guafecine which I guess is Tenex when I googled it. She is supposed to take 0.25mg (quarter of a tablet) every morning. She said the side effects shouldnít bother her but that she could be more tired than usual. I hate the idea of having to medicate her at such a young age but itís so sad to watch her struggle. Has anyone else used this medication for their child and if so how was it? Have you had any experience medicating a child this young with this or any other ADHD medication?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2019, 11:42 PM   #2
    Jay1992
    (female)

Jay1992 HB User
    Re: Guafecine for a 4 year old

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MPA26 View Post
    I took my 4 year old daughter to a developmental pediatrician today and she was diagnosed with ADHD. She has a very high IQ that when combined with the ADHD causes her to become extremely frustrated and anxious because she knows what she is supposed to do but canít focus long enough to do it. Since her ADHD is pretty significant and really causing her to struggle she was prescribed Guafecine which I guess is Tenex when I googled it. She is supposed to take 0.25mg (quarter of a tablet) every morning. She said the side effects shouldnít bother her but that she could be more tired than usual. I hate the idea of having to medicate her at such a young age but itís so sad to watch her struggle. Has anyone else used this medication for their child and if so how was it? Have you had any experience medicating a child this young with this or any other ADHD medication?
    Hi, I have been on intuniv (thatís the extended version of tenex) for twenty years actually since I was six. I too was a very advanced child but my mind went too fast and I couldnít still myself. I must say this is the only medication that was safe and that worked for me with the least side effects that I have never stopped taking. It helps in a different way than stimulants since itís an Alpha-2 Agonist and works by slightly lowering blood pressing and increasing oxygen to the brain. It isnít a dopamine agonist, isnít addictive, and doesnít cause any permanent brain damages nor changes. The tiredness is merely due to the slight blood pressure lowering (itís used for hypertension, tic disorders, ocd and anxiety as well) my mom felt the same stress as you and took me to countless doctors and even the Yale Child Study center. I am really grateful for this medication. My mom said when I was little it was like I had a motor running in me constantly and the intuniv helped slow everything down. It shouldnít effect personality either (sometimes stimulants like adderall have a blunting effect) hope that this is helpful!

Reply Reply