It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Super tired on methylphenidate now

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 02-16-2021, 02:33 PM   #1
    lynxartemis
    (female)

lynxartemis HB User
    Unhappy Super tired on methylphenidate now

Hi there, I've been on methylphenidate short-release for probably 2 years now; I started at 20mg and it gradually got increased over time to 40mg when my doctor and I were initially figuring out the right dose for me. It's one of the few ADHD medications covered by my disability medical insurance. Lately all it's doing for me is it works pretty good still for the first 2 hours (which I get is the length of time the short release is supposed to last) but the problem is that now after those 2 hours have passed, I feel extremely tired, even though I sleep at least 8 hours per night still (it's never made me this tired before, from what I remember, even when I first started on the 40mg). I've tried Biphentin, which is one of the extended-release brands of methylphenidate available in Canada, and it literally did nothing for some reason, even on a bigger dose, so he switched me back to the short release because at least it did something at all. In the past, when I was covered by my dad's company's medical insurance I tried Adderall XR (which made me fall asleep) and Vyvanse (which actually worked really well because of it's ability to last so long in my system). I know I haven't tried any other ADHD medications yet, so I was wondering if you think there is another generic ADHD medication that might work better for me? Or something that can be added to the methylphenidate to make it work better for me? Thank you for all who reply.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #2
    2blikemike
    (male)

2blikemike HB User
    Re: Super tired on methylphenidate now

I'm new to this website, but I read your post and thought I would try to help. As you are probably aware, all medications have different effects on each individual, depending on the person's unique biology, chemistry, metabolism, medical history, and myriad other factors. This is the case even with over-the-counter medications such as ibuprofen and acetaminophen, natural supplements and remedies, and even foods. Some have a positive effect, some have no effect, and some have a negative.

My understanding is that there is a wide continuum on which each of us falls at a point that defines our individual response to any substance. The frustrating part is that so many variables make it practically impossible to know in advance what treatment will be effective for your symptoms.

Yet, on the other hand, there are volumes of research studies, case studies, journals, and other information available to both practitioners and patients, and the knowledge-base continues to grow.

My suggestion is that you take a deep breath, consider journaling and tracking your experiences in writing, and continue working with your doctor until together you find a combination of treatments that meet your personal goals. It might include different medications, combinations of medications, adjustments to your diet, physical activity, counseling, and developing new habits that are ADHD-friendly.

Best of luck!

Reply Reply