It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-11-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    Strattera

Looks like we need a new strattera thread.

If you or your child have or are currently taking strattera please read and respond.

This is general info on strattera produced by the Eli Lily company:
    [url]http://www.strattera.com/index.jsp[/url] Here you will find information on all known side effects, as well as information on dosage, safety, and how to take strattera.

A strattera capsule should NEVER be opened!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post information and tips as well as questions and comments regaurding strattera.

Some hot topics having to do with strattera are:

Sexual side effects in men and women.

How to take strattera.

Side effects in children.

Dosages.

Moodiness

Strattera works for a while then suddenly stops working for some...

Everyone, post your experiences and thoughts... help out those new patients who have just recently began taking strattera.

TTFN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2003, 07:14 AM   #2
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User
    I also notice a lot of parents not being informed enough about Strattera. The five most important issues - I believe - are:

1. Do not open the capsule!
    2. Ask your doctor about taking Strattera at bedtime to deal better with the sleepyness. During the first week on Strattera, many kids can hardly make it through the school day or fall asleep in class! This can be avoided when Strattera is taken at bedtime. Strattera is not a stimulant and CAN be taken at bedtime, but stimulants like Ritalin, Adderall, Concerta should NEVER be taken at bedtime.
    3. Inform the teacher and school nurse, so they can look out/understand about any occurring side effects during school.
    4. If you don't see any improvement after two months, most likely Strattera is not working. Strattera needs time to build up in your system; stimulants don't, they work immediately.
    5. Start your child on a weekend, where you can observe, or even better during an upcoming school break.

Old 11-12-2003, 11:49 AM   #3
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

About Strattera

What is Strattera?
    (Pronounced Stra-tair-a)

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Strattera, judging it safe and effective for the treatment of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children, adolescents, and adults.
    Strattera is a selective norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor, a class of ADHD treatment that works differently from the other ADHD medications available.
    Strattera is the only FDA-approved ADHD medication clinically proven effective for adults.
    Strattera is the first non-stimulant medication approved for the treatment of ADHD in children, adolescents, and adults.
    Because Strattera is a non-controlled prescription medication, it offers the convenience of phone-in refills between physician visits and physician samples.
    Strattera is an oral capsule and can be taken once or twice a day to provide full-day relief from ADHD symptoms.
    Only a doctor can prescribe Strattera, so ask your doctor if Strattera is right for you or your child.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Should I Expect with Strattera?
    When should I expect to see the benefits of Strattera?
    While you are likely to notice improvements in ADHD symptoms by the first week, it may take up to a month to see the full therapeutic benefit of the effect as your child adjusts to the new medication.
    Remember that there are many variables that may affect a child's response to a new medication in addition to the normal ups and downs of daily life. Talk with your doctor if you have any questions about changes in your child during this transition time.
    Strattera works differently than other ADHD medications.

If your child previously took a stimulant, he or she might have been able to feel an immediate impact when it took effect and could tell when it stopped working. Because Strattera works differently, your child will not experience this.
    Watch for patterns in your child's behavior to help assess how Strattera works for your child. It might be helpful to identify 2-3 behaviors that you can monitor on a daily basis to evaluate the benefits of Strattera (e.g., sitting through dinner time, settling at bedtime, getting off to school in the morning, participating in group activities).
    Progress Evaluation Chart

View and print the Progress Evaluation Chart in a printer-friendly format (pdf) by clicking on the chart below.

In the "Specific Behavior" spaces, identify behaviors that have been problematic for your child in the past.
    In the "Progress Evaluation" spaces, each week record changes or improvements in the behaviors identified.
    Discuss your comments with your doctor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Questions to Ask Your Healthcare Professional
    Once your child has been diagnosed with ADHD, you are faced with many options for treatment. If you're considering Strattera, be sure to ask your healthcare professional the following questions before getting started:
    What class of medication does Strattera belong to?
    How does Strattera work?
    What are the benefits of Strattera?
    What are the most common side effects associated with Strattera?
    What is the data to support safety and efficacy in children?
    Was Strattera specifically studied in children with ADHD?
    How is Strattera prescribed?
    Once my child starts taking Strattera, how soon can I expect to see improvement in my child's ADHD symptoms?
    Is a school dose required?
    Is Strattera right for my child?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Already Taking Strattera?
    If you are a parent or caregiver of a child who is already taking Strattera for ADHD, these are some things that you might want to discuss with your child's healthcare professional.
    Review how long your child has been on Strattera, at what dose, what time of day your child is taking the medication, and if your child is taking Strattera with meals or not. These questions are intended for parents and caregivers of children with ADHD who have been on Strattera for at least one week.

Discuss any changes/improvements in the following areas regarding your child's physical condition
    Appetite
    Sleep patterns (going to bed, staying asleep, getting up)
    General physical well-being (absence/presence of circles under eyes, skin color, etc)
    Energy Level
    Personal Hygiene/Looks/Appearance

Discuss any changes/improvements in your child's emotional well-being
    Quality of interactions with family
    Quality of social interactions with friends

Review any changes/improvements in your child's everyday activities
    Ability to get ready in the morning/amount of time spent getting ready
    Ability to focus on homework
    Amount of time/effort spent on homework
    Ability to finish projects/activities that require sustained attention
    Ability to participate in structured group activities with other kids (sports, clubs, music)
    Behavior at school
    Performance at school

Think about changes/improvements to your family since your child has been on Strattera.
    Has the stress or tension level decreased in your household?
    Are you feeling less stressed or worn out?
    Are you more confident about your child's future?
    Do you have any questions or concerns about Strattera? Be sure to be specific and provide examples so your healthcare professional can help.

NOTE: These questions are intended to enhance the discussion between a parent or caregiver and their child's healthcare professional about the whole child, and the impact ADHD has on the all aspects of a child's life, as well as their family.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This information brought to you by Eli Lily, makers of Strattera

Old 11-12-2003, 11:51 AM   #4
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Side Effects Children and Adolescents
    Most children in clinical trials who experienced side effects were not bothered enough to stop taking Strattera. The most common side effects were upset stomach, decreased appetite, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, tiredness, and mood swings.
    In short-term clinical trials with children and adolescents, a modest decrease in appetite was the most common side effect. Some children may experience a loss of weight when starting treatment with Strattera. As with all ADHD medications, growth should be monitored during treatment. Strattera has not been tested in children under 6 years of age.

In rare cases, Strattera can cause allergic reactions, such as swelling or hives, which can be serious. Your child should stop taking Strattera. Call your doctor or healthcare professional if your child develops any of these symptoms.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. Contact your doctor or healthcare professional if your child develops any unusual symptoms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Side Effects Adults
    Most adults in clinical trials who experienced side effects were not bothered enough to stop taking Strattera. The most common side effects were constipation, dry mouth, nausea, decreased appetite, problems sleeping, sexual side effects, problems urinating, and menstrual cramps.
    In rare cases, Strattera can cause allergic reactions, such as swelling or hives, which can be serious. Stop taking Strattera and call your doctor or healthcare professional if you develop any of these symptoms.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. Contact your doctor or healthcare professional if you develop any unusual symptoms.

Safety Information
    Who should not take Strattera?
    Strattera is not for everyone. You should NOT take Strattera if:
    You are allergic to atomoxetine or any of the other ingredients in Strattera.
    You have narrow angle glaucoma.
    You are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) or have discontinued a MAOI in the last 14 days.
    If you are uncertain whether any of these conditions apply to you or your child, talk to your doctor.

What should I tell my doctor before taking Strattera?
    Be sure to tell your doctor:

If you are taking or plan to take, any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, dietary supplements, or herbal remedies.
    If you have any current or past physical or mental problems. Tell your doctor if there is a history of drug or alcohol abuse, depression, psychosis, epilepsy or seizure disorders, high blood pressure, heart disease, glaucoma, liver disease, or kidney disease.
    Is nursing, pregnant, or thinking of becoming pregnant.
    General Information
    Strattera has not been studied in children under six years of age, or in elderly adults.

How To Take Strattera
    Take Strattera exactly as directed by your physician. Strattera offers flexible dosing, once or twice daily. Discuss a convenient schedule for taking Strattera with your doctor.
    Strattera may be taken with or without food.
    If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible, but do not take more than the total daily dose in any 24-hour period.
    If possible, take Strattera at the same time every day to keep on schedule.
    Strattera capsules should never be broken and sprinkled on food. They must be taken whole.
    What else should I know about Strattera?
    Strattera should be part of an overall treatment plan for ADHD. Your doctor may recommend other therapy.
    Strattera should be stored at room temperature.
    Strattera has not been tested in geriatric adults.
    Keep all medicines, including Strattera, out of the reach of children.
    Call your doctor immediately if you take more than the amount of Strattera prescribed by your doctor.
    As with any medication, be careful when driving a car or operating hazardous machinery until you know how it affects you
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above information is brought to you by Eli Lily - makers of Strattera

If you or your child are currently taking strattera please click here:
    [url]https://www.strattera.com/ssl/registerUser[/url]
    and sign up for strattera updates. An email will be mailed to you every once in a while containing new research, updates on side effects, effectiveness for diff ADD types and more.

Old 11-13-2003, 11:07 AM   #5
    3BLESSINGS

3BLESSINGS HB User
    Thumbs up

MY SON HAS BEEN ON STRATTERA SINCE 8/2003 40 MG GIVEN IN THE A.M.
    HE HAS BEEN DOING MUCH BETTER IN SCHOOL.HE MORE FOCUSED AND ON THE FIRST REPORT CARD HE RECIEVED 3 C'S,3 B'S,AND EVEN GOT AN A IN SPELLING WHICH HE HAS NEVER DONE...I AM VERY HAPPY THAT HE;S NOT STRUGGLING AS MUCH IN SCHOOL AS MUCH AS HE WAS BEFORE...HE HAS COME A LONG WAY FROM LAST YEAR SINCE BEING ON HIS MEDS..ALTHOUGH HE COMPLAINS SOMETIMES ABOUT STOMACH ACHES & HEADACHES,BUT IT'S NOT AS OFTEN AS IT WAS IN THE BEGINNING OF TAKING HIS MEDS.
    I AM EXTREMELY PROUD OF MY SON AND ALL OF HIS ACCOMPLISHMENTS HE HAS MADE SINCE BEING ON STRATTERA.FOR MY SON IT'S HAS BEEN A MIRACLE MED.

Old 11-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #6
    momofADHD5yrold

momofADHD5yrold HB User
    Strattera

How do I get my 5 yr old son to take his Strattera without opening the capsule? I can't get him to take it at all. What else can I do?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by * Free ~ Spirit *
    Side Effects Children and Adolescents
    Most children in clinical trials who experienced side effects were not bothered enough to stop taking Strattera. The most common side effects were upset stomach, decreased appetite, nausea or vomiting, dizziness, tiredness, and mood swings.
    In short-term clinical trials with children and adolescents, a modest decrease in appetite was the most common side effect. Some children may experience a loss of weight when starting treatment with Strattera. As with all ADHD medications, growth should be monitored during treatment. Strattera has not been tested in children under 6 years of age.

In rare cases, Strattera can cause allergic reactions, such as swelling or hives, which can be serious. Your child should stop taking Strattera. Call your doctor or healthcare professional if your child develops any of these symptoms.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. Contact your doctor or healthcare professional if your child develops any unusual symptoms.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------Side Effects Adults
    Most adults in clinical trials who experienced side effects were not bothered enough to stop taking Strattera. The most common side effects were constipation, dry mouth, nausea, decreased appetite, problems sleeping, sexual side effects, problems urinating, and menstrual cramps.
    In rare cases, Strattera can cause allergic reactions, such as swelling or hives, which can be serious. Stop taking Strattera and call your doctor or healthcare professional if you develop any of these symptoms.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. Contact your doctor or healthcare professional if you develop any unusual symptoms.

Safety Information
    Who should not take Strattera?
    Strattera is not for everyone. You should NOT take Strattera if:
    You are allergic to atomoxetine or any of the other ingredients in Strattera.
    You have narrow angle glaucoma.
    You are taking a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) or have discontinued a MAOI in the last 14 days.
    If you are uncertain whether any of these conditions apply to you or your child, talk to your doctor.

What should I tell my doctor before taking Strattera?
    Be sure to tell your doctor:

If you are taking or plan to take, any prescription or over-the-counter medicines, dietary supplements, or herbal remedies.
    If you have any current or past physical or mental problems. Tell your doctor if there is a history of drug or alcohol abuse, depression, psychosis, epilepsy or seizure disorders, high blood pressure, heart disease, glaucoma, liver disease, or kidney disease.
    Is nursing, pregnant, or thinking of becoming pregnant.
    General Information
    Strattera has not been studied in children under six years of age, or in elderly adults.

How To Take Strattera
    Take Strattera exactly as directed by your physician. Strattera offers flexible dosing, once or twice daily. Discuss a convenient schedule for taking Strattera with your doctor.
    Strattera may be taken with or without food.
    If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible, but do not take more than the total daily dose in any 24-hour period.
    If possible, take Strattera at the same time every day to keep on schedule.
    Strattera capsules should never be broken and sprinkled on food. They must be taken whole.
    What else should I know about Strattera?
    Strattera should be part of an overall treatment plan for ADHD. Your doctor may recommend other therapy.
    Strattera should be stored at room temperature.
    Strattera has not been tested in geriatric adults.
    Keep all medicines, including Strattera, out of the reach of children.
    Call your doctor immediately if you take more than the amount of Strattera prescribed by your doctor.
    As with any medication, be careful when driving a car or operating hazardous machinery until you know how it affects you
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above information is brought to you by Eli Lily - makers of Strattera

If you or your child are currently taking strattera please click here:
    [url]https://www.strattera.com/ssl/registerUser[/url]
    and sign up for strattera updates. An email will be mailed to you every once in a while containing new research, updates on side effects, effectiveness for diff ADD types and more.
    [FONT=Arial]

Old 11-18-2003, 10:42 AM   #7
    3BLESSINGS

3BLESSINGS HB User
    Hello Momof,
    My Son Would Not Take His Meds In The Beginning Willingly Either,so I Had To Give Him Something That He Loved To Eat Which Was At The Time Go/gurts..once I Cut The Slit Off For Him I Slipped The Pill In And He Swalled It..use Something That He Can Eat,put Does Not Chew..or You Can Even Use The Story About The Pill Making Him Strong And Fast..that Worked For About A Week Until He Just Got Use To Takinbg The Pill On His Own. You Have To Be Creative...i'll Continue To Pray For You & Your Victory Over This Situation.

Old 11-19-2003, 12:49 PM   #8
    momofADHD5yrold

momofADHD5yrold HB User
    How do i get my son to take his medicine?

I am needing help getting my 5 yr old son to take his medicine he won't take it and if i try to shove it down his throat he just spits it back out. Pleas help me!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-19-2003, 01:16 PM   #9
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User
    I don't know about many 5-year olds who know how to swallow a pill (my son didn't swallow pills until age 7). The worst thing you can do is "trying to shove it down his throat." You can try to teach your child with M & M's how to swallow. Maybe just consider something else than Strattera until he has learned how to swallow. According to the FDA, Strattera is not approved for children under age 6 anyway.

Old 11-20-2003, 05:49 AM   #10
    3BLESSINGS

3BLESSINGS HB User
    Re: Strattera

I GUESS THAT MY SUGGESTION WAS TAKEN THE WRONG WAY..I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT SHOVING IT DOWN THERE THROAT..WHY WOULD A CHILD SWALLOW WHOLE M&M's..IT'S EASIER FOR THEM TO START WITH A FOOD THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHEW,LIKE YOGURT..I DO APOLOGIZE FOR ANY MISUNDERSTANDING!

Old 11-20-2003, 07:48 AM   #11
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by 3BLESSINGS
    ..WHY WOULD A CHILD SWALLOW WHOLE M&M's..
    Doctors even make this suggestion, to teach children to swallow M & M's, Skittles or Tic Tacs and I've read many posts of parents who had success with this method. The goal is to make them getting used to the little hard substance in their mouth that they need to swallow.

Old 11-20-2003, 09:49 PM   #12
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

Maybe theres a reason that he doesnt want to take it besides just having trouble swallowing it.............ask him, talk to him about medication, see what he thinks about it.

Old 11-21-2003, 07:18 AM   #13
    fedupmom2470

fedupmom2470 HB User

I notice that many people give Strattera at bedtime. It has to be given with food right? So do you give a snack with it at bedtime? Also has anyone tried giving it with peanut Butter...out Neurologist said that some of his patients said that it helped with nausea.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:43 AM   #14
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User

No, it does not have to be given with food. It may be given with or without food (according to the Strattera website).

Closed Thread