It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



ADD / ADHD Message Board

  • Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 12-06-2003, 09:34 AM   #1
    nomorepills
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 63
    nomorepills HB User
    Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the effects of Ritilan prescribed to someone that did not need it. I was a good kid that did NOT have ADD/ADHD. I was a daydreamer that just simply could not finish my homework. My mom has always tried to play God in my life, so she decided that I needed Ritilan. I was a perfectly happy child with no chemical imbalances. I know this because I have spent my life since then in therapy and on medication. I just want every parent out there to know what you are setting your children up for!!!!! Make sure that there are NO OTHER ALTERNATIVES before you go doping your child up!!! I say this from experience. I have now spent a life time not knowing who I am or if I was normal. I have been addicted to all sorts of pharmaceuticals, and half the time I didnt know which way to turn when I felt emotional, because I was afraid of being put on something. I finally got off of all pharmaceuticals after a 17 year battle. And let me stress the word BATTLE!!!!! Please think about what you are doing to your children. I DO understand that there are some children that really do have imbalances, but please make sure they are diagnosed properly. The docs are soooo quick to right out that script that will shut little Johnny up. Do it for your kids!!!!!!!

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 12-06-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
    ShantillyLace
    Newbie
     
    ShantillyLace's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Posts: 8
    ShantillyLace HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nomorepills
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the effects of Ritilan prescribed to someone that did not need it. I was a good kid that did NOT have ADD/ADHD. I was a daydreamer that just simply could not finish my homework. My mom has always tried to play God in my life, so she decided that I needed Ritilan. I was a perfectly happy child with no chemical imbalances. I know this because I have spent my life since then in therapy and on medication. I just want every parent out there to know what you are setting your children up for!!!!! Make sure that there are NO OTHER ALTERNATIVES before you go doping your child up!!! I say this from experience. I have now spent a life time not knowing who I am or if I was normal. I have been addicted to all sorts of pharmaceuticals, and half the time I didnt know which way to turn when I felt emotional, because I was afraid of being put on something. I finally got off of all pharmaceuticals after a 17 year battle. And let me stress the word BATTLE!!!!! Please think about what you are doing to your children. I DO understand that there are some children that really do have imbalances, but please make sure they are diagnosed properly. The docs are soooo quick to right out that script that will shut little Johnny up. Do it for your kids!!!!!!!
    I am so sorry that this has happened to you. I know because I have a daughter that I had to fight with the school board to keep her off Ritilan. It also divided my family with my neice being put on these tragic drugs and therapies. It was a period of time when many mothers were confused at what the professionals told us and false beliefs seem to dominate basic logic and good parenting. Today my daughter has graduated from college and she is happy that I didn't put her medication. My problems with my sister's kid just became worse and was more complicated as time went on. She is of age today and has alignated herself from our family. She stopped going to the psychiatrist claimings that the primial years of life were, as yours, so dominated in counsellors and therapies that she is sick of the lies and drugging from that profession. She even went as far as consulting an attorney but didn't have the monies for a lawsuit and was told it would be impossible to prove any of the alligations she wanted to make againt the profession. My sister is sadden with grief over her decision to medicate her child in younger years. The ADHD problem destoyed a wonderful girl and split our family. Don't take the medicating and therapy out on your Mother or family as we were all deceived. Try to forget and move on, Stay loving your family and forgive. They are all you have in the rest of your wonderful life.

     
    Old 12-06-2003, 06:46 PM   #3
    nomorepills
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 63
    nomorepills HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    ShantillyLace,
    Thank you. I am sorry for your niece. I can see how she has alienated herself. I can understand her position. I am sure that she and I have definetely shared the same lifestyle.
    I am the type of person that really does not like to blame who I am on other people...i.e. my parents. I have blamed a lot of things on my husband, but that is different :-) My father worked like 80 hours a week as a very hard working midwestern farmer, and my mother was a very sick individual, with bi-polar undiagnosed (up until 7 years ago). So i know that for who they were and what they did, they did the best they could. My mom, like I said earlier, did like to play God with my life, but it is soething that I have had to greive and get over the fact that I was so niave and allowed her to play this role. But she was very sick and could not get a grip on her lie of a life, so she had to get her grips on mine. I know it sounds like I am still angry, and sometimes I am. But 90% of the time i am fine. I have grown to take care of her in her mania, and my older age, I also see her in a different light.
    Well i hope that your niece comes around. Maybe if your sister would approach her and tell her how sorry she is that she put her on the meds. I dont know what would work, but I do know that your niece will never be the same. And let her know that you all love her.
    Take Care,
    Amanda

     
    Old 12-06-2003, 08:34 PM   #4
    *born~free*
    Member
     
    *born~free*'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 56
    *born~free* HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    From what you said it sounds like you are actually "ADD" But one could definantly argue that ADD symptoms can be part of a personality type, even a learning style, rather than a disorder that needs to be medicated.

    The sad truth is that over 90% or so of the children being medicated for their ADD symptoms simply SHOULD NOT be on medication. Society likes to label and drug anyone who is a little bit different from the norm, anyone who thinks differently, or questions authority or why things are the way they are etc etc are said to be disordered and need to be drugged. It's just so sad.

    I hope you are able to move on with your life eventually. You do sound VERY angry still. I know you said that you really arent all that angry, but being angry isn't something you can help and from how you talk it sounds like you were very hurt and angered by all of this, and ya know what thats ok. It's really great that you were able to forgive you mom and help take care of her though.

     
    Old 12-06-2003, 10:03 PM   #5
    ShantillyLace
    Newbie
     
    ShantillyLace's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2001
    Posts: 8
    ShantillyLace HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nomorepills
    ShantillyLace,
    Thank you. I am sorry for your niece. I can see how she has alienated herself. I can understand her position. I am sure that she and I have definetely shared the same lifestyle.
    I am the type of person that really does not like to blame who I am on other people...i.e. my parents. I have blamed a lot of things on my husband, but that is different :-) My father worked like 80 hours a week as a very hard working midwestern farmer, and my mother was a very sick individual, with bi-polar undiagnosed (up until 7 years ago). So i know that for who they were and what they did, they did the best they could. My mom, like I said earlier, did like to play God with my life, but it is soething that I have had to greive and get over the fact that I was so niave and allowed her to play this role. But she was very sick and could not get a grip on her lie of a life, so she had to get her grips on mine. I know it sounds like I am still angry, and sometimes I am. But 90% of the time i am fine. I have grown to take care of her in her mania, and my older age, I also see her in a different light.
    Well i hope that your niece comes around. Maybe if your sister would approach her and tell her how sorry she is that she put her on the meds. I dont know what would work, but I do know that your niece will never be the same. And let her know that you all love her.
    Take Care,
    Amanda
    ----------------------------
    Amanda
    Somehow i imagined you to be much younger in your posting but I am glad that you have the ability to reason and sparkle with a caring attitude for your mom. I am sorry about your mom's bi-polar personality. I have read an interesting article today in one network news that stated many of the mental problems was from Tics and from some forms of bacteria. The article was written from foreign research of 18 women in Finland and the article seem to have some sense to it. It also stated that misdiagnoses of people were often treated by drugging for ADHD when the problem should have been treated with a antibotic because it wasn't ADHD or a mental condition but only effected the mind. The article is in news today. I would mention the webnews but there is some restrictions on posting on this chat. It may be worth looking at because you stated your mom was a farm girl and tics do reside around farms and animals.
    My sister has gone the long road of trying to communicate with her daughter but I don't think there is any point until she wants a reconcilation. My niece is having Christmas away from the family this year and she has done in the past and that makes me sad as we usually all get together each year at someones home. We alternate each year. I am happy that you have such a beautiful outlook on forgiveness and hope that a full recovery for your mom is in site.
    Peggy

     
    Old 12-07-2003, 02:24 AM   #6
    RMiller
    Member
     
    RMiller's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 53
    RMiller HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nomorepills
    Hi I was wondering if anyone knew the effects of Ritilan prescribed to someone that did not need it. I was a good kid that did NOT have ADD/ADHD. I was a daydreamer that just simply could not finish my homework. My mom has always tried to play God in my life, so she decided that I needed Ritilan. I was a perfectly happy child with no chemical imbalances. I know this because I have spent my life since then in therapy and on medication. I just want every parent out there to know what you are setting your children up for!!!!! Make sure that there are NO OTHER ALTERNATIVES before you go doping your child up!!! I say this from experience. I have now spent a life time not knowing who I am or if I was normal. I have been addicted to all sorts of pharmaceuticals, and half the time I didnt know which way to turn when I felt emotional, because I was afraid of being put on something. I finally got off of all pharmaceuticals after a 17 year battle. And let me stress the word BATTLE!!!!! Please think about what you are doing to your children. I DO understand that there are some children that really do have imbalances, but please make sure they are diagnosed properly. The docs are soooo quick to right out that script that will shut little Johnny up. Do it for your kids!!!!!!!
    The effects of Ritalin are the same as Cocaine, as the share the same chemical compounds.
    The only difference being that Ritalin is a longer lasting high.
    The effects of withdrawal are the same as well.
    __________________
    Rich

     
    Old 12-07-2003, 08:10 PM   #7
    nomorepills
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 63
    nomorepills HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Hey every one,
    i just wanted to say thank you for the posts and thoughts. Shantilly- I will definetely look for information regarding tics. You never know what the "problem causing" issue may be. I tell you what, it is worth every minute trying to find out. I hope your neices Christmas is ok alone.
    And, yes, I will definetely admit that I do still hold a lot of anger. After reading that post of mine...there is no denying it. But it is nice for someone else to tell ya everyonce in awhile.
    And also I did know the effects of Rit. were like Cocain on the "high" aspect of it, but I did not know about the withdrawls...(that explains alot)
    Once again...thank you all.
    Amanda

     
    Old 12-08-2003, 03:48 PM   #8
    szarkam
    Senior Member
     
    szarkam's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: NJ USA
    Posts: 160
    szarkam HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    This was an enlightening post.
    I am even more sure that I have to try every alternate to prescription meds. She has impulsivity and tends to be somewhat hyper, but my ped and the neurologist say to hold off but the counselor and the school are saying medication will help - she is only in FIRST grade.

     
    Old 12-08-2003, 03:55 PM   #9
    *born~free*
    Member
     
    *born~free*'s Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 56
    *born~free* HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by szarkam
    This was an enlightening post.
    I am even more sure that I have to try every alternate to prescription meds. She has impulsivity and tends to be somewhat hyper, but my ped and the neurologist say to hold off but the counselor and the school are saying medication will help - she is only in FIRST grade.

    Counselors at school always push to medicate. Dont let them have an effect on your decision!

     
    Old 12-08-2003, 04:02 PM   #10
    szarkam
    Senior Member
     
    szarkam's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: NJ USA
    Posts: 160
    szarkam HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    I don't plan it.
    And there are days when I would like to put her on something just because she gets on my last nerves, but I try to think of all ( and there are lots) the days that are so WONDERFUL and she is cute and playfill and that keeps me going. I can't imagine all these "long term" drugs are good for aot of the children on them - and mine is only 6 - what will they NEED when they are 20. SCARY

     
    Old 12-08-2003, 09:10 PM   #11
    RMiller
    Member
     
    RMiller's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Dec 2002
    Location: Michigan
    Posts: 53
    RMiller HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by szarkam
    I don't plan it.
    And there are days when I would like to put her on something just because she gets on my last nerves, but I try to think of all ( and there are lots) the days that are so WONDERFUL and she is cute and playfill and that keeps me going. I can't imagine all these "long term" drugs are good for aot of the children on them - and mine is only 6 - what will they NEED when they are 20. SCARY
    School Counselors are not legally qualified to make a medical assessment.
    Otherwise they would be "practicing medicine without a license."

    The only thing drugs like Ritalin do is re-route the dopamine levels in the brain.
    Essentially making a kid a stoner.

    Last year a father of one of the murdered Columbine High School kids testified before Congress about the dangers of Ritalin.
    He researched the outbreak of school murders by students across the country and found a remarkable pattern.
    Every one of the murderers was prescribed Ritalin or one of the other psychotropics.
    __________________
    Rich

     
    Old 12-09-2003, 06:35 AM   #12
    szarkam
    Senior Member
     
    szarkam's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: NJ USA
    Posts: 160
    szarkam HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    I did not know that was the case. All the more reason why I want to do everything I can for my daughter without giving her meds.

     
    Old 12-09-2003, 09:24 AM   #13
    nomorepills
    Inactive
     
    Join Date: Dec 2003
    Posts: 63
    nomorepills HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Szarkam- I am so glad that you found my post. When I read what you said it brought tears to my eyes. I am sure there are days when you want to medicate. But in my eyes...that is all the meds are doing is medicating the problem....not fixing it. It is so encouraging to hear another parent say that they are going to find every other alternative besides the medication. My daughter is the same age as i was when i was put on the ritilan. She is displaying all of my behavior at that age. And now i can clearly see that I did NOT need the meds. She is so happy, spiritual and artistic...she is a free spirit. I couldnt imagine taking that away from her!!!! It was taken away from me and now I have to become this person that i should have been allowed to become 17 years ago. It makes me very sad. But the only thing I can do now is to not repeat my moms mistake by NOT medicating my daughter, and to finally become that person I yearned to be for years.
    Please i beg of you to NOT listen to the school counselors and follow your heart on what would be best for your child.
    I wish you and your child the best.
    Take care, Amanda

     
    Old 12-09-2003, 09:52 AM   #14
    szarkam
    Senior Member
     
    szarkam's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Oct 2003
    Location: NJ USA
    Posts: 160
    szarkam HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Thanks Amanda,

    My daughter is a very lively child - independent ( sometime sneaky) but wonderful, enjoys all types of activities and loves to CUDDLE on the sofa with me and her sister and watch a movie, but some days she can be so defiant that I don't know what to do, but she goes to outside counseling - bith individual and now "peer group" as well. She has friends (trouble with certain types of personalities) loves to be in control, but gets along well with older children ( they kind of keep her in her place) she is a VERY good student - likes to read and I have no trouble with her doing her homework, it is more her impulsivity and attention seeking behavior (sometimes in very negative ways) that are causing her torubles - I am hoping with time she will learn how to handle them and possibly outgrow some of this.

    Thanks for your support

     
    Old 12-09-2003, 12:43 PM   #15
    sawbuck44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    Join Date: Jul 2003
    Location: Rochester, NY USA
    Posts: 966
    sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
    Re: Effects of Ritilan when not Needed

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by szarkam
    Thanks Amanda,

    My daughter is a very lively child - independent ( sometime sneaky) but wonderful, enjoys all types of activities and loves to CUDDLE on the sofa with me and her sister and watch a movie, but some days she can be so defiant that I don't know what to do, but she goes to outside counseling - bith individual and now "peer group" as well. She has friends (trouble with certain types of personalities) loves to be in control, but gets along well with older children ( they kind of keep her in her place) she is a VERY good student - likes to read and I have no trouble with her doing her homework, it is more her impulsivity and attention seeking behavior (sometimes in very negative ways) that are causing her torubles - I am hoping with time she will learn how to handle them and possibly outgrow some of this.

    Thanks for your support
    I stand by you !00%! Your story sounds exactly like mine did over five years ago. My son who is almost 12 sounds just like your daughter. He was always active, and seeking attention. Had trouble with certain kids and was a great student. Kindergarten teacher suggested he needed 'help' from the school counselor and possibly that I should 'go talk to my family doctor' about his behavior. We had him on Ritalin/Dexedrine (tried them two months each) for a total of 4 months. The school counselor said he was a wonderful child. The teacher was always disciplining him (she really needed to retire and did so two years later). Please, I don't want to get into that parents against teachers thing. Anyway, while on meds, I did not know who that child was. He was not my son. When on Ritalin he looked like he was in another world, eyes wide and serious looking. When on Dex, he laughed - too much. I wanted my son back and swore that I would work with him until he was able to 'function' the way that he should be in school. He is a high-strung, high-maintenance kid. Just this week I had to take him to get his brace wire snipped (it got lose from chewing gum), had to return a coat that he only had for a month (wasn't really his fault the zipper fell apart but he was playing in it and it's his good coat), have to get new shoelaces, and he just mentioned that his glasses (only 8 months old) are not so good anymore.

    Over the years we have done behavior modification very extensively in our home. Sometimes I have to remind his father that "remember when we decided we weren't going to use meds and we realized that we had to be more patient with him and yelling and lecturing only got him more riled?" You definitely have to have more patient in dealing with this type of child, but they still have not come up with a test that will convince me he "needs" drugs. You can take those written tests and give them to 'normal' kids and they would probably look like they need meds too! I always asked the teachers/caregivers 'what does he do that is SO different from other children?' Even at the young age of 6 he knew that taking meds made him different. Not only feeling different, but different from other kids. He thought there was something wrong with him even with my telling him that we were just trying to see if the meds helped him.

    I could write a book. What's stopping me?! Today he is a B average student, plays the drums, and has many friends. He is maturing very nicely. I would say right on target. Oh, I forgot to mention that he did go see a psychologist also who, even though my son did well and at the top of the class in their social behavioral group, said that my son needed meds! It was funny (not really) but when we talked at the end of our 5-week session, I said, 'I'm glad you don't think he needs meds because I really don't want to go that route.' He looked astounded and said, 'Oh, but I do think he needs them.' I said, "I'm not going to have a problem with that am I because I am not putting him on meds." He said, "no, let's see how he does in the next grade and you call me if you need to come back." I left there and never looked back!

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Topamax Side Effects R_Ann Headaches & Migraines 19 08-18-2007 03:12 PM
    Kids snorting ritilan danashale ADD / ADHD 17 11-27-2006 10:31 PM
    Increasing Ritilan - pls. help Karon ADD / ADHD 7 12-18-2004 01:37 PM
    Strattera use side effects? jojobon ADD / ADHD 7 03-29-2004 03:11 AM
    What is proper dosage - Concerta/Ritilan? Karon ADD / ADHD 9 02-12-2004 07:13 AM
    Side effects of Ritilan TrinityGal ADD / ADHD 3 01-01-2002 02:30 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:15 PM.





    © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!