It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• ADD-inattentive - Adderall no longer helps - what to do ??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-20-2003, 12:53 PM   #1
    bradcured

bradcured HB User
    Question ADD-inattentive - Adderall no longer helps - what to do ??

I have a son who has ADD-inattentive (quiet) type. He is on Adderall and this medication worked WONDERFUL for him. It made him motivated, calm, non-anhedonic, he had lots of energy and drive to succeed.
    After 2 months, he is at highest possible dose (30mg), because the tolerance has risen so suddenly in his case, and the med is now not working at all. It is making him full of anxiety, there is no motivation and energy like before, he tells me that nothing interests him anymore. If I'd only know about substances that block amphetamine tolerance (NDMA antagonists like memantine,magnesium,DXM,L-theanine) - I'd give him with his daily dose of Adderall. But I had known nothing about it back then. What should I do now? I'm really desperately trying to help him out. What to do? Thanks in advance for the response.

Brad

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2003, 06:58 PM   #2
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    Re: ADD-inattentive - Adderall no longer helps - what to do ??

You should try a safer treatment method. There are many options other than medication out there. A child should only be medicated if absolutely necessary. I would suggest you taper him off this medication, as it is only making things worse for him.

Stimulants (street or RX) can cause depression, or depressive symptoms, such as lost of interest in things.

Stopping meds should be done VERY slowly, as it can cause severe depression (withdrawal) and suicidal idealation. (Staying on it can also cause depression/suicidal thoughts, so not quitting because of this wouldnt make it better)

If his attention problems affect his schoolwork then get him a 504 so he can have some extra help.

90% of children who are medicated for this disorder should NOT be medicated and would be able to do just as well in life (probably much better) if they just got the extra help and attention they needed along with a safer treatment. (like biofeedback, behavior therapy, nutritional interventions, etc etc)

It's strange how some doctors will swear that people with true ADHD will not develope a tolerance to medications and once the proper dose is found it will not have to be raised (unless a raise is needed because of growth/weight gain)

Some say if a tolerance is developed it is not true ADD, that if a medication works for a short time then suddenly stops it is most likely another condition that mimics ADD.

While other doctors say it's perfectly normal to develope a tolerance. Well... it is normal to develope a tolerance to speed I guess, isn't it.

Some doctors used to believe (and some still do) that a good reaction to stimulant medication meant that the child was ADD positive. Well as you may or may not know this is a myth. In reality many non-ADD children respond to ritalin by becoming more focused and compliant.

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 12-20-2003 at 07:11 PM.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:19 AM   #3
    rubydog
    Inactive

rubydog HB User

Well, if you're not opposed to meds at this point, I think your son's doctor might make one of the following recommendations: 1) straterra 2) trying a different stimulant, or 3) a drug "holiday" from the adderall might make it work again.

{I am editing my post to say that Bornfree's point above about weaning stimulants is quite valid. I wouldn't want you to take *any* of the above recommendations, including a drug holiday, without first discussing it with your doctor}.

I was really interested in what you said about NDMA antagonists. I had not heard of this so I'm going to have to do more reading. My son hasn't yet taken stimulants, but this sounds like a topic worth researching just in case we have to go that route. Thanks for the info!

Last edited by rubydog; 12-21-2003 at 09:40 AM.

Old 12-22-2003, 03:41 PM   #4
    brainf0g

brainf0g HB User

Yes look into NMDA antagonists. One good one used to treat alzhiemers, like you mentioned, is memantine.

Old 12-22-2003, 04:50 PM   #5
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brainf0g
    Yes look into NMDA antagonists. One good one used to treat alzhiemers, like you mentioned, is memantine.
    welcome back brainfog

Old 12-24-2003, 01:12 AM   #6
    jeebus268

jeebus268 HB User

I've been perscribed stimulants since I was in first grade (I'm now a senior in college). I have never had a problem with developing a tolerence to the medication. See if your child's habits have changed. Perhaps their caffine intake is up? Citrus also decreases the effectiveness of stimulents. Another (hopefully less plausable) possibility is that your child may be taking more on his/her own or selling the drug instead of taking it. I notice dramatic differences in absorption of the drug depending on how tired I am and how much I eat before hand. Generally when I'm tired it doesn't effect me as much and if I don't eat before I take my pill then feel the effects much more greatly

Closed Thread