It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Can a med holiday cause depression

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #1
    Space Cadet

Space Cadet HB User
    Can a med holiday cause depression

I am a 28 year old grad student, and have known I am inattentive ADHD for years. I am currently in grad school, and so far have succeeded without meds. In grad school, I found it to be too overwhelming, and all my little systems that I had in place and tricks to help me keep it together weren't enough anymore. I was put on Concerta 36 mg, and it has been helpful to some extent.

I know that the meds are stimulant, and therefore try and use them very cautiosly. I couldn't really take med holidays till now, because school was so intense, that I was actually studying 7 days a week.
    Now that the semester is over, I am taking my first real meds holiday, it's been about a week now.

All of the sudden I have been hit by this wave of moodiness/depression symptoms. I have also been going through a lot of changes in my life in the last couple of weeks, but I was wondering if the meds holiday could be contributing to this.

Thanks, and a happy and healthy new year to all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 05:50 PM   #2
    html
    (male)

html HB User
    Re: Can a med holiday cause depression

The abrupt withdrawal of many medications, including stimulants, can cause moodiness and depression. You might want to talk to your prescribing md about weaning yourself from this medication for drug holidays.

Best wishes for the New Year to you as well!

John

Old 12-28-2003, 11:53 AM   #3
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

There has been a recent study that links use of stimulants to development of depression. So the answer to your question is most likely yes. But I've read that with a permanent drug holiday, the brain can recover but it takes awhile.

Old 12-31-2003, 06:58 PM   #4
    JodiMommy

JodiMommy HB User

why would you want to take a "med holiday" Sometimes I forget to take my morning dose and that makes it easier to miss the rest of the day, but I notice it! I dont think I could ever take such a holiday, and actually worry because I want to have another child in the next 5-7 years! My Dr. says i would have to stop the wellbutrin and the ritilin to do so safely...

Closed Thread