It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Switching from Ritalin to Concerta

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2003, 05:30 PM   #1
    SBContreras

SBContreras HB User
    Question Switching from Ritalin to Concerta

My 13-year-old son is currently taking Ritalin and has been taking various dosages since he was 8. Right now (well on school days anyway) he takes one 10mg extended release with two, 5 mg regular in the morning, then another of the 10mg extended release at lunch. He has been taking this dosage since April. This SEEMS to be working for him, although I get mixed responses from his teachers, and since I don't see how he behaves during the school day, I can't say for sure. But he is having difficulties in his science, social studies and language arts classes, which are all before lunch. My son says the meds don't help him (he doesn't like taking them), but on the occasions when I do have him take some at home (mainly to help him focus on homework), I can see a difference in his behavior and ability to stay focused and on-task.

Anyway, I was thinking of maybe switching to Concerta to see if it would be more helpful for him. So, my questions are: Has anyone had experience with switching from Ritalin to Concerta ? And, what are some of the side effects of Concerta ? Right now, my son has virtually no (apparent) side effects from the Ritalin, although he says it takes away his appetite, but at home I always have him eat before he takes the meds, so that shouldn't really be a problem.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 06:53 PM   #2
    html
    (male)

html HB User
    Re: Switching from Ritalin to Concerta

Well, as you probably know, Ritalin and Concerta are the same drug (methylphenidate) but with different delivery systems. Concerta is a much longer acting version although many people find that it doesn't last as long as it claims.

Because it is longer-acting, you *might* see more appetite suppression and more sleep disturbance. However, these responses are very individual. Patients also report that it takes longer for the Concerta to "kick in". Some parents wake their children early to take it for this reason.

I'm curious what about the Ritalin your son doesn't like. Perhaps he is experiencing side effects that you're not aware of.

Old 12-27-2003, 08:38 PM   #3
    vrie

vrie HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by html
    Well, as you probably know, Ritalin and Concerta are the same drug (methylphenidate) but with different delivery systems. Concerta is a much longer acting version although many people find that it doesn't last as long as it claims.

Because it is longer-acting, you *might* see more appetite suppression and more sleep disturbance. However, these responses are very individual. Patients also report that it takes longer for the Concerta to "kick in". Some parents wake their children early to take it for this reason.

I'm curious what about the Ritalin your son doesn't like. Perhaps he is experiencing side effects that you're not aware of.

My daughter took ritalin years ago and it was horrible! She became defiant and tempermental and her tics increased. I hesitated on Concerta for quite a while because of this. She does take concerta now with entirely different effects. It takes a pretty high dose (as did any other meds she's taken for ADHD). Amazingly for some people the ritalin and the concerta seem to have different effects, probably because of the delivery system. Wenever we have to, we supplement with the short-acting ritalin, with much less effect. I do try to give my daughter her pills before she's fully awake so that she won't be "off the walls" completely before they kick in. Concerta does take longer to start working for her.

Old 12-28-2003, 07:29 AM   #4
    crillmom

crillmom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrie
    My daughter took ritalin years ago and it was horrible! She became defiant and tempermental and her tics increased. I hesitated on Concerta for quite a while because of this. She does take concerta now with entirely different effects. It takes a pretty high dose (as did any other meds she's taken for ADHD). Amazingly for some people the ritalin and the concerta seem to have different effects, probably because of the delivery system. Wenever we have to, we supplement with the short-acting ritalin, with much less effect. I do try to give my daughter her pills before she's fully awake so that she won't be "off the walls" completely before they kick in. Concerta does take longer to start working for her.
    I also find concerta takes longer to kick in but once it does it works well. i just make sure he takes it 1 hour before school so by the time school starts it is effective.

Old 12-28-2003, 10:38 AM   #5
    willow_lea

willow_lea HB User

hi, my son was tried on concerta xl and i can only tell you my experience which was that it did not help him at all. He described the 'funny feeling' in his tummy constantly which he gets with ritalin when it is starting to wear out. as i too get mixed reactions from his school they were no help. it may be worth trying it for a while as every child is different xx
    [FONT=Arial]

Closed Thread