It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• DL-phenylalanine and tyrosine??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2003, 05:38 PM   #1
    ireneb96

ireneb96 HB User
    Question DL-phenylalanine and tyrosine??

I have decided to try DL-phenylalanine and L-tyrosine, Ibaught them tonight but havent taken them yet. does anyone have any expirence with these??
    I am taking wellbutrin xl and ritilin right now but thought Id try the natural way. I am already on a low carb diet mostly beacuse I am alergic to wheats and grains.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2003, 06:59 PM   #2
    html
    (male)

html HB User
    Re: DL-phenylalanine and tyrosine??

I think it's important that you speak with your physician before 1) taking anything additional with your medication and/or 2) changing the medication that you are currently taking.

I don't personally know of interactions between the substances you mention, but the possibility of dangerous interactions always exists.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:49 AM   #3
    Raes*Mom
    (female)

Raes*Mom HB User

I'm considering using L-tyrosine both for myself and my daughter and did a search on the supplement. I found a website that listed adverse reactions with other medications and it acutally said that l-tyrosine complimented Adderall and helped reduce some of the side effects. I don't know if that holds true for Ritalin. HOWEVER, as someone else pointed out, I would certainly speak with my doctor first before beginning. And of course, you can't believe everything you read. Some of these supplement ads claim to cure everything but world hunger.

I would be more concerned about using with the Wellbutrin than the Ritalin. I tried Wellbutrin for depression and had very negative side-effects such as hives and tightening of the throat. I know it had a bad-rap a few years ago with the possibility of causing seizures although I believe the percentage was very low. It's always best to check out with the doctor as all of these products are dealing with neurotransmitters in the brain.

Old 12-28-2003, 09:59 AM   #4
    ireneb96

ireneb96 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raes*Mom
    I'm considering using L-tyrosine both for myself and my daughter and did a search on the supplement. I found a website that listed adverse reactions with other medications and it acutally said that l-tyrosine complimented Adderall and helped reduce some of the side effects. I don't know if that holds true for Ritalin. HOWEVER, as someone else pointed out, I would certainly speak with my doctor first before beginning. And of course, you can't believe everything you read. Some of these supplement ads claim to cure everything but world hunger.

I would be more concerned about using with the Wellbutrin than the Ritalin. I tried Wellbutrin for depression and had very negative side-effects such as hives and tightening of the throat. I know it had a bad-rap a few years ago with the possibility of causing seizures although I believe the percentage was very low. It's always best to check out with the doctor as all of these products are dealing with neurotransmitters in the brain.
    I do not get hives but I do get a prickly itch all over and I was wondering if that was a reaction to the wellbutrin or maybe the wellbutrin is making me hypersensitive ( i have very sensative skin to begin with)

Old 12-28-2003, 10:29 AM   #5
    Raes*Mom
    (female)

Raes*Mom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ireneb96
    I do not get hives but I do get a prickly itch all over and I was wondering if that was a reaction to the wellbutrin or maybe the wellbutrin is making me hypersensitive ( i have very sensative skin to begin with)
    Mine started out as itching along the tops of my arms around my elbows. And then I proceeded to break out all along my arms and especially on the underside of my upper arms. Then it progressed to my face right under my eyes and my chest. The break out looked a lot like sun-poisoning which I get every summer if I spend too much time in the sun and the break-outs were in the same area where I get sun-poisoning. It was most certainly the Wellbutrin as it was the only thing I was taking at the time and it went away after I quit taking it. However, it took a long time for the bumps to go away and at one point, I was actually afraid they were going to leave scars. I too tend to have sensitive skin so possibly that could be the connection.

How long have you been taking Wellbutrin as my reaction started with just a few days of taking?

Old 12-28-2003, 10:43 AM   #6
    ireneb96

ireneb96 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raes*Mom
    Mine started out as itching along the tops of my arms around my elbows. And then I proceeded to break out all along my arms and especially on the underside of my upper arms. Then it progressed to my face right under my eyes and my chest. The break out looked a lot like sun-poisoning which I get every summer if I spend too much time in the sun and the break-outs were in the same area where I get sun-poisoning. It was most certainly the Wellbutrin as it was the only thing I was taking at the time and it went away after I quit taking it. However, it took a long time for the bumps to go away and at one point, I was actually afraid they were going to leave scars. I too tend to have sensitive skin so possibly that could be the connection.

How long have you been taking Wellbutrin as my reaction started with just a few days of taking?
    I have been on wellbutrin 2 months and thats why I think it may be making me hypersensitive bacause tha itching started happening after we got our xmass tree ive never been alergic to trees however showed a slight irritation to pine durring an allergy tests. I believe if I were not on the wellbutrin I would not have the itching but I'll ask my Dr when I call him monday it also goes away for a short time after i take my rittilin. I also dont have the itching when I wake befor I take the wellbutrin. Hmmm makes you think..

Closed Thread