It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Started Strattera Today - My dose and other's side effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-02-2004, 11:01 AM   #1
    Brian850

Brian850 HB User
    Started Strattera Today - My dose and other's side effects

Started Strattera today.... 19 Y/O male, 190lbs, does this sound ok?

Week 1: 25mgs
    Week 2: 40mg
    Week 3-4: 60mgs
    Week 5+: 80mgs

What are some things i should be aware of when taking this? I started my first dose today and did alot of research before taking this drug but i want to hear some more first hand side-effects, the only well documented descussions of side-effects for strattera here are the "male sexual side-effects" descussions, anyone else experience significant other side-effects that more than one person have observed? Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User
    Re: Started Strattera Today - My dose and other's side effects

For my son, one side effect was terrible constipation (no pooping for 5 or 6 days).

Old 01-07-2004, 12:11 PM   #3
    Brian850

Brian850 HB User
    Post Re: Started Strattera Today - My dose and other's side effects

Today i started 40mgs and feel pretty sick after taking it, even with food. I can fee a small difference since i started, a little more focused but nothing too noticeable, which is expected this far. Definetly noticed constipation and dry-mouth as being retty sever, however those are the only side effects i have noticed other than a loss of appetite for a few hours after taking the pill in the AM due to upset stomach. When did you feel the notieable affects of strattera when taking it? before or after 3 weeks?

Old 01-08-2004, 09:24 AM   #4
    Raes*Mom
    (female)

Raes*Mom HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian850
    Today i started 40mgs and feel pretty sick after taking it, even with food. I can fee a small difference since i started, a little more focused but nothing too noticeable, which is expected this far. Definetly noticed constipation and dry-mouth as being retty sever, however those are the only side effects i have noticed other than a loss of appetite for a few hours after taking the pill in the AM due to upset stomach. When did you feel the notieable affects of strattera when taking it? before or after 3 weeks?

My daughter is 10 years old and when she went past the 25 mgs., she started showing signs of elevated blood pressure such as pounding headaches, hot flashes and flushing red in her face. This didn't start until she had been on the medication for a week or two. Be very aware of any signs of elevated blood pressure as this is a documented side-effect.

Old 01-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
    hyperev

hyperev HB User

I am a 37 year old male and was on 80 mg/day for about 6-months. I had most reported negative side effects. The ones most concerning were the sexual and urinary side effects. My experience showed the negative outweighing the positive so I stopped. I am so much better off without this junk Eli Lilly is making tons of $$$ on.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:46 PM   #6
    Brian850

Brian850 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hyperev
    I am a 37 year old male and was on 80 mg/day for about 6-months. I had most reported negative side effects. The ones most concerning were the sexual and urinary side effects. My experience showed the negative outweighing the positive so I stopped. I am so much better off without this junk Eli Lilly is making tons of $$$ on.
    I have heard alot about the sexual side-effects and also the urinary retention that alot of people have seen. I am on my 3rd day on 40mgs and have fortunetly not seen these side-effects at all yet. The dry mouth has subsided, however now with the higher dosage i constantly feel "hot" or just warm all over, not just in my face like i did with stimulants, is this something you noticed? I am very worried about the sexual side-effects and am wondering if i havnt seen them yet at 40mgs, will i see them at all, did u experience them at a low dosage? Very sorry to hear about your bad experience with the medication, if you could rid yourself of the negative effects and look back was there anything positive? thanks for the information, i really appreciate it.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:48 AM   #7
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User

Make sure you frequently check your blood pressure (most grocery stores have self-check devices in the pharmacy sections). I have heard about the "feeling hot" many times as well as blood pressure going up.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #8
    Brian850

Brian850 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palms1
    Make sure you frequently check your blood pressure (most grocery stores have self-check devices in the pharmacy sections). I have heard about the "feeling hot" many times as well as blood pressure going up.
    Do you know if this "feeling hot" is directly related to blood pressure?

Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 AM   #9
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User

No, I don't know for sure, I just know from posts I have been reading, where people described being hot as well as noticing increased blood pressure as well as increased heart rate. I do assume though that it is in connection with the blood pressure, ie. I have low blood pressure and always feels cold, while my husband has high blood pressure and usually always feels warm/hot. In your case it's probably best to go ahead and check your blood pressure and see if it has increased and if yes, I would think it has something to do with you feeling hot.

Last edited by Palms1; 01-09-2004 at 11:07 AM.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:13 AM   #10
    Palms1
    Inactive

Palms1 HB User

This is one of the posts I have found on this board about the sweating/blood pressure issue that I mentioned above:

Ok I have had it with this medicine! The side effects are now so annoying that I have made an appt to see my Dr Tommorrow. I have taken Strattera for 3 months now and the daily clear thinking is gone. All I have left is that I wake up at 6am every day. That's it. The male side effects went away after 2 months but the cold sweats, high blood pressure, headaches and stomach problems have made me miserable while I am on this medicine.

I am 31 and so far I have tried adderall XL and strattera. I tried stopping strattera over the weekend and my sweating problem got much better, but in return I am tired all the time. Yesterday I even fell asleep at the wheel and almost crashed on the way home from work. Over the weekend I was feeling very sad and I was spending my money irresponsibly. At least I gave it a good try, but now its just not in my best interests to keep taking it. If for nothing other than its effect on raising my blood pressure ( I am also taking altace for my BP). I even had to get another medicine Pro-Bathine for the very excessive sweating. My hair is soaking wet and my shirt is also wet around my shoulders and neck. But the worst part is that I am not hot I have this irritating cold sweat that makes me feel like I am sick.

I took it again last night and as before I woke up at 6 am this morning. But the drive to work was a nightmare. Right now my blood pressure is so high that I have a severe headache. It just doesn't seem like it is doing what I hoped it would.

...and here is another post from this board.....
    I am 28 yrs old and have been on straterra for a short period of time. At 40mg I am having major side effects that I am wondering if anyone else has. I have serious hot flashes where I sweat. Sometimes it is a cold sweat with chills. I have not seen anyone else write about this so I am a little alarmed. This happens throughout the day.

Last edited by Palms1; 01-09-2004 at 11:20 AM.

Old 01-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #11
    Aurashim

Aurashim HB User

My 12 year old took Staterra for about 2 months before we put him back on Concerta. He was very very tired for the first three days, and then he had headaches for the rest of that first week. Then, it seemed okay. Then, slowly we saw an increase in hostile and aggressive behaviors. When that kept escalating, we put him on the Concerta and the aggression has disappeared again. =(Still a cranky kind of kid, but no physical aggression now, or when he is on no meds so we believe it was related to the Staterra. It does effect brain chemistry , so be sure its the right one for you...and change if its not!

Old 01-12-2004, 12:44 PM   #12
    ADD_BarB

ADD_BarB HB User

Among the side effects I notice are very cold hands and feet. In fact, I just bought a pair of fleece gloves last night in the grocery store to wear while I read, sitting on the sofa. I live in TX, where our winters are mild. I normally keep my thermostat at 68 degrees, but since taking Strattera I'm still cold when the room is 73 degrees. I work out 5x/week, so poor circulation can't be blamed.

Other side effects I have: light constipation, light dry mouth, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure (I'm keeping my eye on this one), occasional insomnia, loss of appetite. I've had about 5 instances where my heart skipped a beat (palpitations).

The good effects for me are: decreased appetite, increased energy (which in itself helps me get more done), less sleepy, can get up easier in the morning.

I can't tell if this drug is helping me. I was recently diagnosed w/ ADD, and so far, I don't think I've noticed enough of a benefit from Strattera. Haven't noticed a change in the ability to focus. I'm giving it 2 more weeks.

Old 01-12-2004, 07:20 PM   #13
    Brian850

Brian850 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ADD_BarB
    Among the side effects I notice are very cold hands and feet. In fact, I just bought a pair of fleece gloves last night in the grocery store to wear while I read, sitting on the sofa. I live in TX, where our winters are mild. I normally keep my thermostat at 68 degrees, but since taking Strattera I'm still cold when the room is 73 degrees. I work out 5x/week, so poor circulation can't be blamed.

Other side effects I have: light constipation, light dry mouth, increased heart rate, increased blood pressure (I'm keeping my eye on this one), occasional insomnia, loss of appetite. I've had about 5 instances where my heart skipped a beat (palpitations).

The good effects for me are: decreased appetite, increased energy (which in itself helps me get more done), less sleepy, can get up easier in the morning.

I can't tell if this drug is helping me. I was recently diagnosed w/ ADD, and so far, I don't think I've noticed enough of a benefit from Strattera. Haven't noticed a change in the ability to focus. I'm giving it 2 more weeks.

Thos are almost exactly what i am feeling about 2 weeks in, how long have you been taking strattera? I have not yet noticed anything, but i'm going to at least give it till the 6-8 week point before i assess any differences possitive or negative.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:39 AM   #14
    ADD_BarB

ADD_BarB HB User

Brian, I've been taking it for 7-8 weeks. I talked w/ my psychiatrist about it a few days ago & we agreed that w/ the holidays & all (I was out of town twice), it's hard to know how it's working. Need some time w/ my normal routine. From what I've read, 3 months is definitely a long enough trial. So, I might give it another month.

I'm trying to do some contract work at home, and it's nigh impossible. I keep following all these rabbit trails instead of just sitting down & focusing. Very very frustrating. Esp. since it's work that I enjoy (web & graphics design). I desperately want the Strattera, or something, to help with this. I'm so afraid I'll find out I don't really have ADD (inattentive type), and I really am just a defective person!... I'm 40+, by the way.

Cheers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Brian850
    Thos are almost exactly what i am feeling about 2 weeks in, how long have you been taking strattera? I have not yet noticed anything, but i'm going to at least give it till the 6-8 week point before i assess any differences possitive or negative.

Old 01-13-2004, 09:56 AM   #15
    ADD_BarB

ADD_BarB HB User

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: I sometimes get this weird tight feeling in my face, like all the muscles are contracted, esp. around my forehead and eyes. Like I'm really stressed -- but I'm not.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ADD_BarB

Closed Thread