It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Dexedrine for my bipolar son.??? Advice please.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-13-2004, 04:38 AM   #1
    sadie30

sadie30 HB User
    Dexedrine for my bipolar son.??? Advice please.

Hello.. my ten year old son has been diagnosed bipolar now for nearly a year. HE is also diabetic due to a drug called zyprexa/olanzapine. His paedatrition perscribed him dexedrine yesterday to start on the weekend for his adhd symptoms. I know my son can not concentrate , he has been this way since he was 4 or so. His mind is all over the place all the time. He is currently taking epival for his rapid cycling which works really well. But his anger level among other things have gotten out of hand. Hence the dexedrine perscription. I have been reading about this drug and frankly dont like what i read . I realize with medicines comes side effects with everything . The major drug interaction dexedrine has is with insulin which my son takes. I could not understand for the life of me why his doctor would percribe a drug that would interfere with his insulin. ????????? anyway I am not going to give him this pill.. Is there anything at all that i can give him that is not so bad on his body.?????? herbs , b1 bombers or something. ? If anyone out there has any ideas please let me know. thanks
    peace

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2004, 10:51 AM   #2
    * Free ~ Spirit *
    Inactive

* Free ~ Spirit * HB User
    Re: Dexedrine for my bipolar son.??? Advice please.

DO NOT GIVE YOUR SON DEXEDRINE!!!! This is very important! Dexedrine can cause MANIA in bipolar patiants, as well as psychosis. Even with his other medication for rapid cycling, its still not safe. Your sons 'out of control anger' is likely to be made worse by the dexedrine. Plus theres the insulin factor!

Get your son a new doctor ASAP. This one obviously has no idea what he's doing!!!

Last edited by * Free ~ Spirit *; 05-13-2004 at 10:53 AM.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:14 PM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sadie30
    ... HE is also diabetic due to a drug called zyprexa/olanzapine.
    Sadie30, do you mind if I ask how much Zyprexa he was taking and for how long? Thanks...

Old 05-13-2004, 12:20 PM   #4
    ManiKGurLy

ManiKGurLy HB User

Hi all. I am not familiar with the DEX drug we are discussing however I am curious if anyone has any ideas about concerta? I have been on it for 3 weeks now and absolutely love it! I am 25, just diagnosed finally 3 weeks ago. Have had many years of therapy and different possible diagnosis (i.e.-bi polar tendencies, acute anxiety, etc.) Anyhow, I was on 18 mg my first week and have been on 27mg for the last 2 weeks. I want to increase my dose and my next appt is this coming monday so we'll see what the doc says. Does anyone know if taking the 27mg and then the 18mg one with it would hurt me?? Don't like to take things without prescriptions however I am just wondering. Thanks!~

Old 05-13-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

I wouldn't do it without your doctor's okay (but then I would NEVER take more of something than prescribed; less, yes, but not more).

Personally, 36mg of Concerta is just right for me. More than that makes me shakey. But, as always, YMMV!

Old 05-14-2004, 06:23 AM   #6
    sadie30

sadie30 HB User
    Index.hmtl zyprexa question answered

My son was taking zyprexa for three months.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:48 AM   #7
    kerosene

kerosene HB User

Sadie, my son (14) is bipolar. (My daughter is ADHD which is why I'm reading this board.) My son took Zyprexa and his weight jumped a lot. I had him removed from it. I'm not familiar with dexadrine, but my son takes Depakote ER, which also has a side-effect of appetite, but he is sooooo much better and happy.

There are other more natural things you can try, like Fish Oil, Vitamin B12 with Folic acid. Some kids report mania with the fish oil, so you have to keep an eye on it. I give this combination to my ADHD daughter with her ritalin and I notice a slight improvement. Other parents use Omegabrites (?) and they say they have good results.

Hope this helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-21-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
    sadie30

sadie30 HB User

hi , yes my son is taking divalproex it is the same as depakote. I find this helps him a lot with the rapid cycling. He used to go from laughing to crying to mad all in about ten minutes and plenty times a day. I decided not to give him the dexedrine. I called his peadatrition and asked about the insulin interference and he said not to worry about it and it wasnt going to make much of a difference.

I still decided against giving him this. Although I have thought about it . I mean my son can not concentrate on anything. I mean anything.!!! It is so difficult and frustrating. I know he is smart , yet when doing his math he can not remember from one question to the next , even if we had done 30 questions exactly the same before that .

I dont understand. I am trying to understand but he cant even make a sandwhich without getting distracted by something else , even when i am standing right beside him. I find it very difficult to have to explain each and every time how to complete a task or how do divide 4 into 20. Also I have to tell him in steps. One thing at a time or he doesnt remember one thing that i have said.

He is almost 11 and it is like he is 4 alot of the times. He is a very smart kid at things he likes , video games , inventing things, taking things apart , fixing things. But if it is something he isnt interested in , well good luck in trying to get his attention for five seconds let alone five minutes. It is so hard to teach him anything . He doesnt even have the patients to tie his shoes.!!

I feel like he is the only kid i know like this and it is difficult. My youngest son is 8 almost 9 and he is more mature and stable than my 11 year old. It is tough. Does anyone here also have this problem.? I mean that sounds more ADD than bipolar . Not knowing.. So confused on how to help him ..

Closed Thread