It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Police Officer diagnosed with Adult ADD, will I bust a drug test?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
    Lynn123

Lynn123 HB User
    Police Officer diagnosed with Adult ADD, will I bust a drug test?

I have been a police officer for 10 years. I have been diagnosed with Adult ADD and prescribed Adderall 10mg. I am concerned about having to take "amphetamines". I haven't told my supervisor that I will be taking this medication (haven't started yet). Will they say I can't take Adderall while on duty? If I was to take a drug test will I test positive? If I was to be involved in a shooting, what are the legal issues? What should I do? I know I need this medication, I'm miserable. Help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 06:32 PM   #2
    sodawater
    (male)

sodawater HB User
    Re: Police Officer diagnosed with Adult ADD, will I bust a drug test?

I would think using a controlled substance for its prescribed purpose must be acceptable, even for officers.

For example, using Tylenol 3 with codeine as prescribed would be ok, right? And just as Adderall is an amphetamine, codeine is an opiate.

Amphetamines are stigmatized but what you are doing is perfectly legal. God forbid it came to a shooting, but to be on the safe-side, maybe do this: make sure your doctor has given you the most airtight diagnosis possible (an oxymoron with ADD, I know). In a lawsuit, you wouldn't be able to afford any suggestion that your ADD was in any way uncertain.

If that is done, doctors would probably go to bat for you and explain how Adderall works on the ADD brain - ie in a way supposedly counter to how amphetamines work on someone else.

Just my two cents, but maybe spend sometime while you're here looking around for some ideas as to how many of us try to manage our ADD without using stimulants....

Old 05-18-2004, 06:58 PM   #3
    Lynn123

Lynn123 HB User

Do you have an alternate means of controlling ADD without stimulants?

Old 05-18-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
    sodawater
    (male)

sodawater HB User

I use some combination of the following:

--Diet (low carb, very high protein, lots of whole vegetables, fruits, almost no sugar, no caffeine, etc.)
    --Meditation
    --Regular Exercise (jogging/surfing)
    --Omega 3 Fish Oil
    --Amino Acid supplementation
    --sometimes assistance with task management and definition.
    --I also try to prioritize communicating with my bosses, etc. about my ADD and letting them know I often need to approach tasks in ways that might look strange, but that work for me.

I have personal reasons for not using stims, but I would say not using them is probably a more difficult route, even though it will likely pay off in the longterm.

Look around the board - this is probably the hottest single topic on the board - how to manage ADD without meds.

ps. Regardless of whether or not it works, homeopathy operates on a principle entirely foreign to Western medicine, thus making it more difficult to get Western docs to support you in experimenting with it. There are MANY holistic and complementary approaches to ADD that are in no way homeopathic. Nothing against homeopathy that is, but working *with* a doctor if you are trying to avoid stimulants can be really beneficial for a number of reasons......

Last edited by sodawater; 05-18-2004 at 07:31 PM.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:51 PM   #5
    Lynn123

Lynn123 HB User

I presently do the low carb, high protein and lots of veggies diet. It works well for me. I also take fish oil, aloe and vitamin E. That seems to work well also. However, I still battle with symptoms. I think I have decided to go with what the doctor prescribed primarily...Strattera. It's a non-stimulant. I think I would be safer in the long run with my job. The reason I requested something other than Staterra was it takes approximately 1 month to work. I'm miserable and wanted help now. I figure I've waited this long...what's a few more weeks. Thanks for the info...you were a big help...especially having me look a the legal aspect.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #6
    sodawater
    (male)

sodawater HB User

Glad to hear it and good luck. Definitely look into amino acid supplementation on top of what you are doing. ie. DL-Phenylalanine, L-Tyrosine, etc. Very promising stuff. Might also help you take a bit less of your meds.

Old 05-22-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
    jassieann

jassieann HB User

I wish you all the best of luck; my fiance' (31 years old) was enrolled in the criminal justice program for fall and just dropped the course for the same reason, he has adhd and was afraid that if anything were to ever happen in the line of duty he would be discriminated against because of it. His quote was "people might think I am trigger happy because I am more hyper than others." I feel for him because he feels he has lost his dreams of being an officer forever. What about Strattera it is a none stimulant drug, could this be an option for you? My daughter takes it and it really calms her down and she doesn't have the insomnia problems the others cause...she has lost weight though. Good luck!!!

Last edited by jassieann; 05-22-2004 at 05:20 PM.

Old 05-22-2004, 09:35 PM   #8
    apinecone

apinecone HB User

I can agree with both kinds of advice-- that controlled substance alternatives are preferable and that controlled substance alternatives are preferable! On the one hand, it is true that some meds can have effects that are problematical with some kind of public responsibilities, so it is preferable if possible to use alternatives. For example, I know a fireman and an EMT who have had problems with driving emergency vehicles because of certain meds. On the other hand, it is often a fact that certain meds have negative ongoing and eventual side-effects, and that it is preferable if possible to use alternatives. These alternatives are behavioral and and dietary, and both can significantly improve your ability to function acceptably to your employer and yourself. Although it's tricky to try to get some help at work to accommodate your situation, it is possible and in some cases can be the legal right of the employee/patient and responsiblity of the employer to make reasonable accommodations. Assuming you both are amenable, some restrictions in certain meds-related risk factors/tasks should be acceptable, but I know that in the military, the 'force' needs to maintain certain levels of capability in various ranks, so it's just unfortunate if you can't-- nothing personal, and wouldn't you rather have the best force as you can out there defending us? [Not being cynical, just realistic; it's hard to answer no when it comes to public or patient safety-- well, any kind of safety, I guess.] Best of luck, and please do give the alternatives a decent shot and try to have your employer accommodate you, at least while you find a satisfactory medium.

Old 05-23-2004, 08:12 AM   #9
    jmdPostal

jmdPostal HB User

Look into Strattera, then ask your doctor if you can take it. It's stimulant free.

Closed Thread