It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Dexedrine Side Effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-19-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
    jrmom
    (female)

jrmom HB User
    Dexedrine Side Effects

My son is 5 1/2 and has a dx of autism and ADHD. Today he started taking dexedrine, 5 mg in morning and 5mg in afternoon. He has become extra hyper. He is constantly licking his lips (fast) and constantly moving and talking (also fast). He has hardly sat down all day, and has hardly eaten anything today. Is this normal? Will it eventually subside after a few days once his body gets used to it?

I'm worried.

Please respond ASAP.

Thanks.
    Hope

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
    Kimberly315

Kimberly315 HB User
    Re: Dexedrine Side Effects

It sounds like his dosage might be too high...when my fiance was first diagnosed with ADD his doctor prescribed 30 mg of dexedrine per day (one 15 mg extended release capsule and three 5 mg immediate release pills every morning.) After taking his medication, he would be very excited and talk NONSTOP for several hours. He would also fidget a lot and developed obsessive behaviors (like spending half the day organizing his desk until every little thing was perfect.) He would also have trouble eating and sleeping and got really cranky when the medication started to wear off. His personality completely changed- he would be excessively happy and energetic for a while, then sullen and moody for the rest of the day. After talking to his doctor, he now takes one 15 mg capsule in the morning and one 5 mg pill in the afternoon. This dosage seems to be working- it controls his ADD but doesn't make him "high." I think some people are more sensitive to dexedrine than others- if 30 mg is too much for him (he's 6'2" and 200 lbs.), 10 mg. might be too much for your son. Hope this helps!

Old 05-20-2004, 06:38 AM   #3
    EverWondering

EverWondering HB User

I have a NDR - nurses drug reference it says that for 6 years and older, initial dose is 5 mg 1-2 times/day; increase in increments of 5mg/week until optimum dose is achieved (rarely over 40mg/day.) children 3-5 years initial dose is 2.5 mg/day; increase by 2.5 mg/day at weekly intervals until optimum dose is achieved. If the drug is extended release it is 5/15 mg/day.

Old 05-20-2004, 08:36 AM   #4
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

People on the autistic spectrum can sometimes be overly sensitive to medication, so extremely small doses can be required to find the dose that works best.

Since Dexedrine is twice as potent (i.e. 5mg Dex roughly equates to 10mg Ritalin) as methyphenidate (Ritalin), maybe trying him on generic (since these are available in scored 5mg pills, which are easier to split into 2.5mg) Ritalin starting at 2.5 mg might be a better idea, as this would allow for better fine-tuning.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 05-20-2004 at 08:38 AM.

Old 05-20-2004, 09:46 AM   #5
    jrmom
    (female)

jrmom HB User

Thanks everyone,
    I was scared and took him to the emergency room last night because he was still "freaking out". We waited 3.5 hrs to see the ER doctor. By the time we saw the Dr. he had calmed down a little, so they didn't really do anything but check his vital signs etc.....Any way, the neurologist never called me back yesterday, so the ER contacted him. He just said to give my son 2.5 mg in the morning for now on (none in the afternoon) and call back in a week. He also said to incease his Seroquel at bedtime to help him sleep.(Seroquel is a medication usually prescribed for schitzophrenia, but helps some people with autism). I did do that but my son still didn't go to sleep until 3:15 am.

I am just glad he finally did go to sleep and that horrible experience is over!

Thanks again for your replies,

Hope

Old 05-23-2004, 05:01 PM   #6
    Joebinski

Joebinski HB User

I was prescibed dexamphetamine when I was 20 and it made me lose much weight and kept me up for days at a time. It also took away any love of life. Medication may not be the answer for your son.

From here it seems like the 'solution' is worse then the problem.

Regards
    Joe

Closed Thread