It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• long term effects of adderall

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2004, 12:20 PM   #1
    kirstilou

kirstilou HB User
    long term effects of adderall

Hi, has anyone out there been on Adderall for several years? If so have you noticed any major side effects or decreased impact of the drung? Also does anyone now the long term side effects on the brain from extended useage of Adderall?undefined

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
    Maria8804
    (female)

Maria8804 HB User
    Re: long term effects of adderall

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kirstilou
    Hi, has anyone out there been on Adderall for several years? If so have you noticed any major side effects or decreased impact of the drung? Also does anyone now the long term side effects on the brain from extended useage of Adderall?undefined
    I have taken it for a few years, and yes, there is a decreased effect as time goes by. This is your body building up a tolerance for the drug. Nothing you can really do about it--you can increase the dosage (with your doctor's permission of course), but that will only help in the short term. After awhile, your body will become tolerant to the higher dosage as well.

As for long term effects? I'm not sure about the effects of using the drug appropriately. It's been used for ADD for a relatively short time, so there isn't much research on long term effects of theraputic use. Abusing amphetamines (like adderall) for long periods of time, however, can result in heart trouble, addiction, psychosis, high blood pressure, etc.

Old 06-04-2004, 01:29 PM   #3
    brainf0g

brainf0g HB User

If you notice a decreased effect from a certain dosage, taking periodic breaks from the drug is the easiest way to stop tolerance and allow someone to stay on a low effective dosage indefinitely.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:15 PM   #4
    GlamorLegrand

GlamorLegrand HB User

As brainfog said, the best idea is to take periodic breaks. I notice when I do not take my adderrall for even just one day, the following day I am far more sensitive to it.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:56 PM   #5
    alltheanswers

alltheanswers HB User

My daughter has been taking adderall XL for over 5 years now. She's 9 yrs old now. Of course as she's gotten older and larger, we have had to increase the dosage amount but so far, the drug has been working great for us. We've learned how to deal with its side effects with other meds or by changing her dosage so that the rebound effects is not as severe.

I can't comment on the long terms effects really but at least we've seem improvements in her school work and overall behavior, eye contact (which she use to avoid), and the ability to stay on task as she's gotten older. I guess since we haven't seen any deterioration in her behaviors, its not having a negative effect on her brain but that's kind of hard to measure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:44 PM   #6
    tri_lingual_one

tri_lingual_one HB User

I have been using it for four and a half years now and have not noticed any long term side affects. I occasionaly build up a tolerance but when that comes I usually take a break for a few months. Through breaks like this I have stayed at 30mg.

Closed Thread