It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• College daughter lying to get Adderol prescription

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #1
    Dixie Chick
    (female)

Dixie Chick HB User
    College daughter lying to get Adderall prescription

My 19-year old daughter claims she is ADD all of a sudden. She has started seeing a psychiatrist at school who prescribed Adderall, as well as Lexapro. I can see that she has had problems with depression but the rest is bull, in my opinion.

She started by taking an Adderall pill that she got from other students when she needed to study for finals. They helped her concentrate and get a lot done.

Now she claims she needs it all the time. She showed me some of the papers that the psych. wanted her to fill out. One of them was a paper for her mother (me) to fill out about how she was when she was between 6-10 years old. My daughter had already filled it out and forged my signature. She just wanted to see if I agreed with what she had put. Well, I didn't agree with any of the symptoms she had checked. I have never noticed anything ADD in her. When she was that age, she had perfect attendance at school year after year and she has never had anything less than an A all her life. I never noticed her being distracted in any way.

She attended very unchallenging rural schools all her life so she has been bored. My brother was ADD and he had lots of problems at school. Daughter is nothing like that.

Can a psychiatrist be fooled this easily? Do you think my daughter could be getting the Adderall prescription just to make money selling the pills to others? I'm beginning to wonder and worry.

Last edited by Dixie Chick; 06-26-2004 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Didn't know how to spell adderall

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2004, 09:32 PM   #2
    dietcokefreak
    Inactive

dietcokefreak HB User
    Re: College daughter lying to get Adderol prescription

I would be worried as well. Seems to be drug-seeking behavior. The fact that she filled out a paper that was intended for you and forged your name, as well as lied about the questions... is a big red flag. With her being 19, you don't necessarily have access to her medical records and a doctor is not legally obligated to discuss her medical issues with a parent as she is considered an adult. (at least here it would be anyway) This does not mean, however, that you couldn't call the doctors office and tell them about your concerns!

Good luck

Old 06-28-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
    brainf0g

brainf0g HB User
    Re: College daughter lying to get Adderall prescription

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dixie Chick
    My 19-year old daughter claims she is ADD all of a sudden. She has started seeing a psychiatrist at school who prescribed Adderall, as well as Lexapro. I can see that she has had problems with depression but the rest is bull, in my opinion.

She started by taking an Adderall pill that she got from other students when she needed to study for finals. They helped her concentrate and get a lot done.

Now she claims she needs it all the time. She showed me some of the papers that the psych. wanted her to fill out. One of them was a paper for her mother (me) to fill out about how she was when she was between 6-10 years old. My daughter had already filled it out and forged my signature. She just wanted to see if I agreed with what she had put. Well, I didn't agree with any of the symptoms she had checked. I have never noticed anything ADD in her. When she was that age, she had perfect attendance at school year after year and she has never had anything less than an A all her life. I never noticed her being distracted in any way.

She attended very unchallenging rural schools all her life so she has been bored. My brother was ADD and he had lots of problems at school. Daughter is nothing like that.

Can a psychiatrist be fooled this easily? Do you think my daughter could be getting the Adderall prescription just to make money selling the pills to others? I'm beginning to wonder and worry.
    It's VERY possible that she has AD/HD that has gone unnoticed until now, especially since you said your brother has it. AD/HD is genetic, and just because she did well in school doesn't mean she doesn't have it. Many people that have AD/HD do well in school, and there are also different severities of the disorder as well. It's very possible your brother may have a severe case and she does not.

Since AD/HD runs in your biological family and she also exhibits symptoms of depression then there is even a greater chance of her having it. Her depression may be indirectly related to her AD/HD.

What would lead you to the conclusion of her obtaining a prescription in order to "sell it"? Does she have a history of this type of behavior?

If not, it sounds like you may have denial about the disorder or that you have some type of anger towards the disorder. If true, is it possible that the reason she filled it out for you is because she knew your responses may be biased?

Last edited by brainf0g; 06-28-2004 at 01:41 AM.

Old 06-28-2004, 09:15 AM   #4
    Vintage Wine
    (female)

Vintage Wine HB User

It's easy for parents to be in denial about this. ADD/ADHD sometimes doesn't present itself in girls until they are college age, if not older. I was in my 30's before I was officially diagnosed. Spent years and years on anti-depressants,much to no avail. Adderall was the one and only thing that truly helped me.

At least she's seeing a doctor. Ask her if she was tested by the DSM IV. If indeed, she is truly ADD, then please be supportive. It's a difficult disorder to live with and the last thing we ADDers need is more criticism.

If not, it sounds like you may have denial about the disorder or that you have some type of anger towards the disorder. If true, is it possible that the reason she filled it out for you is because she knew your responses may be biased?[/QUOTE]

Old 06-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
    Vintage Wine
    (female)

Vintage Wine HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brainf0g
    If not, it sounds like you may have denial about the disorder or that you have some type of anger towards the disorder. If true, is it possible that the reason she filled it out for you is because she knew your responses may be biased?
    It is very easy for parents to be in denial about this. As if it was something they should have "seen" or "fixed" in the child. According to the book Women with ADD, it often doesn't present itself in girls until they are in college or even later. The demands of college, working, marriage, etc., expose the underlying ADD.

I am ADD but wasn't diagnosed until I was in my 30's. I was also a straight-A student, honor roll, loved to read books, but I was also in a very calm, controlled, structured environment from grades 1-12. I was however, always easily distracted and was labeled as "emotional', "sensitive", "immature". When all it was was frustration due to an inability to focus and concentrate!!! College was a nightmare for me. Working was a nightmare for me. The only thing that helped me feel I had any hope was Adderall.

Now, if she is exhibiting true drug seeking behavior, yes, stay on her. Count her Adderall pills if you have to. Schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist or neurologist of your choice and get a 2nd opinion.

But if she is indeed truly ADD, she needs the support and positivity of her family. I do not have that. And it's been a very tough road, too.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:07 PM   #6
    Dixie Chick
    (female)

Dixie Chick HB User

Well, I have to say, I never considered that she could really be ADD. I guess I need to study up on it. All I know is that she doesn't act anything like my brother (who always did things without thinking, got in trouble at school not staying at his desk, etc.)

I thought everyone had trouble studying in college. I know I did. It's hard. Taking a pill to concentrate just sounds wrong to me. When I was in college, I took my brother's ritalin a couple of times to pull all-nighters but I knew it was not right and I sure didn't want to make it a habit. I figured this adderall was the same thing. Something for a crutch.

I suggested that she might be selling them because she needs money and told me that everybody takes adderall to study. If it's only by prescription, then it seems like it would be a lucrative racket to get into (act ADD to get the prescription and then sell them by the pill).

Her room is messy and she studies better with adderall. I just never thought this could be ADD.

Thanks for your replies, by the way. I'm learning a lot.

Old 06-28-2004, 08:36 PM   #7
    brainf0g

brainf0g HB User

Have you thought that you may have AD/HD as well?

Last edited by brainf0g; 06-28-2004 at 08:37 PM.

Old 06-28-2004, 10:34 PM   #8
    msmars5188
    (female)

msmars5188 HB User

adhd symptoms are very differant in males and females, as well as with certain age groups. Please try to support her decision, especially if she is really found to be adhd. Its hard enough to have it, let alone having your mother not support or believe you. Trust me on this one, im speaking from experience. But if you are afraid that she just wants the dx so she can sell her meds, say something to her and her dr. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2004, 12:31 AM   #9
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dixie Chick
    Well, I have to say, I never considered that she could really be ADD. I guess I need to study up on it. All I know is that she doesn't act anything like my brother (who always did things without thinking, got in trouble at school not staying at his desk, etc.)

I thought everyone had trouble studying in college. I know I did. It's hard. Taking a pill to concentrate just sounds wrong to me. When I was in college, I took my brother's ritalin a couple of times to pull all-nighters but I knew it was not right and I sure didn't want to make it a habit. I figured this adderall was the same thing. Something for a crutch.

I suggested that she might be selling them because she needs money and told me that everybody takes adderall to study. If it's only by prescription, then it seems like it would be a lucrative racket to get into (act ADD to get the prescription and then sell them by the pill).

Her room is messy and she studies better with adderall. I just never thought this could be ADD.

Thanks for your replies, by the way. I'm learning a lot.
    Adderall is still speed, and speed helps you study better, ADD or not. The fact she signed your name and filled out symptoms without your input, went to professionals without your knowledge, etc is very, very suspect....sounds like manipulation on her part. A downright ambush to insure she gets what she wanted, which was legal speed.

But I doubt she intends to become an addict or anything of that sort of sinister intention...most likely, all she is trying to do is keep up with light-speed pace of college these days and also sees the potential of extra money to boot by giving other college kids the opportunity to also use Adderall as a study aid.

It seems psychiatry has sent the message that speed is ok as long as it's a written prescription and not used to get high. Well, although it is more innocent than getting high, use of speed in any way is still a potential hazard for mind and body; it's a calculated risk of how long one can take it and not suffer any ill effects. Even at doses below what could cause euphoria, she could become dependant on it mentally as the brain will become used to the chemicals, especially if she takes it everyday. Hopefully your daughter will be very careful. I doubt she has ADD.

Closed Thread