It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Q's regarding 9yr old with Strattera toxicity?? Switch to concerta?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-06-2004, 02:34 PM   #1
    rayne1

rayne1 HB User
    Question Q's regarding 9yr old with Strattera toxicity?? Switch to concerta?

Hi I'm new here and hoping someone can help. Here is some background-
    My 9 yr old son was diagnosed with ADHD about 6mos ago, although we have been seeing symptoms since Kindergarden. He has never been the type to jump up out of his seat, get into trouble or lose things but he does have some problems with impulse control, focusing his attention and staying on task. Both my husband and I were against treating him with meds so we never sought a formal Dx until the beginning of this year. We thought we would be able to help him though it, he would grow out of it, ect... As class sizes became larger and school became harder and demanded more attention he started falling more and more behind. 30 - 40min of homework was taking hours!! We didn't know what else to do for him so at his wonderful teachers suggestion we finally started looking at meds. We took him to a ped. whose speciality was pediatric ADHD.

We didn't want to try a stimulant because we were afraid of dependancy, mood swings, ect... so we started with Strattera. For the first week or 2 it seemed to be ok, then the mood swings started. He became angry ALL the time. His anger was all he seemed to be focusing on. He was blowing up over the smallest things. And physical activity became nearly impossible for him. After talking to the Dr she said it sounded like toxicity so she lowered his dosage from 40 - 25mg. We began stepping up the meds at 10mg. Still things just got worse. To the point that we were having to phisically restrain him at times. He was not the same kid anymore and we hadn't gotten up to the 25mg dose yet! Then we noticed he seemed to be getting better, thats when we realized that he had missed 3 doses. So we stopped giving him the meds for a week to see if there was an improvement. Gradually there was! He got better and better. He was the calmer, happier yet more implusive child we loved again!

Well after talking to the Dr. again she still insists it's toxicity and wants to keep him on Strattera at a dose of 10mg but she said that she will switch him to Concerta if thats what we want. I don't know what to do! Do I chance a child from [email protected] again and put him back on Strattera? Will things be just as bad on Concerta? What is the worst case senerio on Concerta?

I'm hoping someone with similar experiences here can offer me some advice, suggestions or ideas. Sorry for being so long. Bless you if you read this far!Any help is GREATLY appriciated!

Thanks,
    Rayne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2004, 03:19 PM   #2
    Trying_2_Deal

Trying_2_Deal HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Q's regarding 9yr old with Strattera toxicity?? Switch to concerta?

Hey!
    Im a soon to be 16 year old girl with ADD and I think I can give you some more insite into your situation with the meds. I was on strattera too. It totally changed my mood too. It was last summer that I was on it (so I was 14). Im normally a bubbly outgoing person, but strattera made me really quiet and always secluded and I would entertain myself by reading all the time (which I NEVER usally do and hate). SO that was weird. And I don't know if it did this to your son but it took my appetite away and I lost about 15 pounds that summer. I was gross looking. Since my mood change wasn't a bad one like your sons my mom wasn't gonna change me off of it but then a month or so into taking it I started getting hives one night. I told my mom and she just figured it was from the weeds by the creek by our house but then the next morning they were everywhere and in places that the weeds would have never touched like on top of my head and on my face. There were small bumps all the way up to HUGE raised "humps" (the size of tea cup saucer). They iched so bad; so mom had me stop taking my strattera and took me to the doc. at the urgent care. He said stop taking the strattera. Well, a week later they were still there and it was horribly itchy still and the bumps and "humps" were still there and my lips and fingers had swelled then too. So I went to the doc. again and he gave me allegra and told me to tell my doc. that I couldn't take strattera anymore. It finally went away and they put me on concerta (which works GREAT) no mood changes and you get to keep your appetite. So anyway, it was the strattera that did the rash thing to me and concerta is great so I wouldn't have a reserves for putting someone on it. Hope this helps!! Lemme know what happens!!

Trying_2_Deal

Last edited by Trying_2_Deal; 08-07-2004 at 08:22 AM.

Old 08-07-2004, 11:50 PM   #3
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User
    Re: Q's regarding 9yr old with Strattera toxicity?? Switch to concerta?

Rayne, my son is having great success with Strattera. He is 11 and has been on 40mg for a little over a year. When he was taking 60mg he went through the same thing that the previous poster did but nothing like what you described. However, before taking Strattera he tried Wellbutrin. It did helped with focus (more than Strattera does) but he was very angry and hostile. The reason I mention this is that Strattera and Wellbutrin are closley related. So my personal opinion is that the Strattera is probably not a good match for your son.

My younger son who just turned 7 is on Concerta. From your description he seems to be much like you son. Concerta works wonders for him. No negative side effects. He is more focused, less implusive, happy, and just as fun as he has always been

I would give Concerta a try. After 1 or 2 days you should be able to see how it will affect him. Strattera usually takes weeks before improvements is noticed.

Most importantly trust your instincts.

Old 08-08-2004, 10:34 PM   #4
    rids

rids HB User

My sweet , easy going kid was an aggressional nightmare on Strattera- we lowered the dose, etc. like you did... forget it, better but not great. Went back to regular Adderall.
    Had genetic testing done- found out he is a poor metabolizer of medication. He is on what is considered a low dose for his age & size- it works well, and his personality is back to normal....
    C-GA

Old 09-25-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
    ApocMan

ApocMan HB User

I'm a 32 yr old male and my brother 35 yr old both tried Strattera and went from nice guys to angry guys.My brother was to the point he could have hurt somebody

I HATE STRATTERA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

Old 09-25-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User

I believe strattera is a really, really bad med. Plus, to have to add an anti-depressant to the mix, (as they almost always do with Strattera), kind of shows the screwed up thinking in today's overmedicated society. Ritalin has been vilified for no good reason. It's much more like a strong dose of caffeine then speed.

If it were my son I would request normal Ritalin because it's out of the system in 4 hours. I would start the child on a small dose over a weekend, observe him, 4 hours later try a stronger dose, etc. The doctor is not going to take the time to find the correct dose for your child, he'll just give you 36MG concerta pills, (long acting ritalin) get you out of the examination room and herd the next person in.

The child also needs correction and discipline like any other child. Kids are smart and if he thinks he can get a free ride because of his "issue" he'll take it. I have no way of knowing of course, but make sure he isn't acting up because he feels there is something wrong with him.

Last edited by norat; 09-25-2004 at 09:51 PM.

Old 10-07-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
    mln2603
    (female)

mln2603 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by norat
    The child also needs correction and discipline like any other child. Kids are smart and if he thinks he can get a free ride because of his "issue" he'll take it. I have no way of knowing of course, but make sure he isn't acting up because he feels there is something wrong with him.

I have to first stop and take a moment to say that this quote is way off base. From what I am reading, the children described here are exactly like my 10 year old. These are good kids, never get in trouble, love life and a complete joy to be around. They have some problems concentrating and comprehending school work. This medicine is what causes these children to become demons. My son, has been absolute hell to live with but it's because he is miserable due to the medicine in his system. After 3 weeks, I couldnt bear to watch him go through this one more day and stopped the medicine as of today. I sat in Cub Scouts last night and watched him sit there with a huge scowl on his face and he LOVES Cub Scouts! I can't and won't let my son go through life like this. I'd rather struggle through schoolwork than have him feel like this.

As far as...
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by norat
    The child also needs correction and discipline like any other child.
    You can't correct or discipline a child for behavior that he CANNOT control! This is not a behavior problem, this is misery caused by medication. I, for one, have yelled at my son for the way he has acted and then feel horrible because it isn't his fault. Remember, this is a VERY Well Behaved child. How many 10 year olds love to sit and talk to an 82 year old neighbor? But guess what... the medicine makes him say that it's stupid to talk to old people!!! This is purely the medication!!!!!

Sorry for going off but this is a very touchy subject for me, you spend 10 years raising a well behaved child and he turns into a demon overnight from medication... It rips your heart out!!!

Old 10-07-2004, 12:00 PM   #8
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User

Hey, I know what you are saying. I just never could discipline my own kids. But in this case you are in a corner:

a.) Reinforce their behavior by blaming it on the meds, thus giving them a free-ride for bad behavior. I would think you want to avoid at all costs making them emotionally dependent on medication. If they can transfer any guilt to the meds it will be bad for them.

b.) Lay down some ground rules and establish boundaries. I know you think your kids are special :-) But really, they are just like my kids and just like me. I always knew when my behavior was off, or when I was "pushing" it. Give your kids more credit. It isn't "just" the meds. They are in there too.

Old 10-07-2004, 12:46 PM   #9
    mln2603
    (female)

mln2603 HB User

I believe that unless you actually have gone through this ordeal with your child, you won't & can't fully understand what is going on here and can't comprehend the idea that the behavior is not the fault of the child.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:56 PM   #10
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User

Well, my son got AHDH from me, while the daughter is always honor roll - so imagine how that feels. But, I want to support you, I really do. In every case you are the person who must make the decision for your child.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #11
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mln2603
    I believe that unless you actually have gone through this ordeal with your child, you won't & can't fully understand what is going on here and can't comprehend the idea that the behavior is not the fault of the child.
    I agree, medications are perfectly capable of causing mood problems, more so in some than others! Constant crying spells, aggressiveness and fatigue finally convinced my brother-in-law to take my nephew off first Adderall than Strattera.

He's back to his old sweet personality. Sometimes all a kid needs is a tutor for schoolwork or some incentives/stimulation to make it more fun. Getting into a sport also burns up the extra energy; he skateboards regularly now with brother and dad; also involved in basketball.

It's for sure it was the medication all along, because now he is more sweet since getting off it.

Blaming a child who is reacting to psychoactive, brain altering meds is mis-placed denial of what these drugs, (which by the way are being given without any measures avalible of what proper neurotransmitter levels are in the brain), can mess with in a child's brain.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:36 PM   #12
    mln2603
    (female)

mln2603 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    Blaming a child who is reacting to psychoactive, brain altering meds is mis-placed denial of what these drugs, (which by the way are being given without any measures avalible of what proper neurotransmitter levels are in the brain), can mess with in a child's brain.
    I wish I would have done more research on the proper diagnosing. My doctor took my word for it that he was having trouble concentrating. There were no tests done on him. I go back Monday and my main reason for keeping the appointment is to tell her what these meds did to him.

1 day off of the med and my son is just about back to his old self!!! What a difference! For instance: yesterday at dinner my dh was pouring drinks, he joking poured a tiny amount in my sons glass and handed it to him, my son laughed again!!! If he would have been on the meds, he would ran to his room crying, saying that everyone hates him and we won't even give him anything to drink!!!! It was so nice to joke with him again and best of all... see him smile again!

Old 10-09-2004, 10:32 AM   #13
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    I wish I would have done more research on the proper diagnosing. My doctor took my word for it that he was having trouble concentrating. There were no tests done on him. I go back Monday and my main reason for keeping the appointment is to tell her what these meds did to him.

1 day off of the med and my son is just about back to his old self!!! What a difference! For instance: yesterday at dinner my dh was pouring drinks, he joking poured a tiny amount in my sons glass and handed it to him, my son laughed again!!! If he would have been on the meds, he would ran to his room crying, saying that everyone hates him and we won't even give him anything to drink!!!! It was so nice to joke with him again and best of all... see him smile again!
    That's great to hear!!!

Old 10-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
    mln2603
    (female)

mln2603 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    That's great to hear!!!
    Thanks Jennita.... Is your son completely off meds now too?

Old 10-12-2004, 12:12 AM   #15
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Thanks Jennita.... Is your son completely off meds now too?
    Oh, actually that was my nephew, and yes, he is completely off (hooray!)

Closed Thread