It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Thoughts on adderall vs. ritalin?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2004, 02:08 PM   #1
    WrenFrazier

WrenFrazier HB User
    Question Thoughts on adderall vs. ritalin?

Is there anyone out there who took ritalin and then later switched to adderall? I'd love to hear some comparisons of the two. I'm taking ritalin now, 20 mg, three or four X a day, and I'm thinking about the possibility of trying something new.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2004, 06:23 PM   #2
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User
    Re: Thoughts on adderall vs. ritalin?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WrenFrazier
    Is there anyone out there who took ritalin and then later switched to adderall? I'd love to hear some comparisons of the two. I'm taking ritalin now, 20 mg, three or four X a day, and I'm thinking about the possibility of trying something new.

Adderall is much weaker then ritalin (I know that sounds odd but it's true) You can't "feel" adderall so it's hard to know what it's doing.

I use them both. If adderall was stronger it would be the best drug. To equal 20MG of Ritalin I have to take 60MG of adderall and because of that god-awful sticky filler in Adderall 60MG is too much.

Old 10-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
    uptown22

uptown22 HB User

Adderall is much stronger than ritalin. Maybe for you personally ritalin works better, but it is 1/2 the strength of adderall

Old 10-03-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
    Zander14

Zander14 HB User

I just switched from Rit SR 80mg daily to ADD XR 60mg daily and I feel terible. I thought it would be a smooth transition but it has not been. I am checking about withdrawl from Rit. They say it is better but I have not seen it yet...Good luck........
    Don't let my babbling stop you. It effect each of us different...And to think people abuse Adderall............

Old 10-03-2004, 02:19 PM   #5
    Kathy287
    (female)

Kathy287 HB User

my son was on ritalin for about 6 months but he lost too much weight. This was back about 8 years ago. They tried many different meds before settling in on a combo of adderall and clonidine for him. He has been on this ever since and has only had to have one increase since he started. He is now 12 1/2 years old and is right on for height and weight (actually he is one of the taller boys in the class). We have been very happy with adderall.
    Good luck with whatever you choose. I know from my own experience with meds, one medicine isn't for everyone.
    Kathy

Old 10-04-2004, 06:30 AM   #6
    twins2sets
    (female)

twins2sets HB User

I personally found Adderall to be much stronger than Ritalin. Again, everyone is different in how their body reacts to medication, so it's kind of hard to decide from others' opinions. I could "feel" Adderall but not Ritalin. Ritalin also made me very sick - nauseous 24/7. I had to stop taking Adderall because of the side effects though - got very obsessive compulsive - obsessive thoughts, skin picking, head scratching, little tics like that. Plus sweating and occasional nausea. Horrible dry mouth. I'm currently on Concerta and very happy with it. Still have the weight loss, dry mouth (but not as bad), insomnia, etc but not to the same extent. Obsessive compulsive behaviors again, but not as strong. I really love Concerta.

Old 10-31-2004, 08:59 PM   #7
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WrenFrazier
    are you happy with the ritalin? if so no need to mess with success :P
    the two are COMPLETELY different medications and side-effects, effects of the drugs vary...
    ritalin only blocks the reuptake of dopamine while adderall, being an amphetamine, not only blocks the reuptake of dopamine and norepinephrine to an extent, but also stimulates the brain cell to release more dopamine...
    if the ritalin stops working well for you...adderall would be a good option, however i believe dexedrine is even better

Old 11-03-2004, 08:06 PM   #8
    MafiaKiddo

MafiaKiddo HB User

Supposedly Adderall is the strongest stimulent medication out right now but what works for one usually doesn't work for another so it is a trial and error type of process. I tried many different meds before finding one that worked for me. I agree with the above comment if Ritalin is working why change it.

If your just tired of taking it so many times why not switch to a longer lasting ritalin like Ritalin LA or Concerta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Look At Me I Have ADHD
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:36 AM   #9
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MafiaKiddo
    Supposedly Adderall is the strongest stimulent medication out right now but what works for one usually doesn't work for another so it is a trial and error type of process. I tried many different meds before finding one that worked for me. I agree with the above comment if Ritalin is working why change it.

If your just tired of taking it so many times why not switch to a longer lasting ritalin like Ritalin LA or Concerta.

actually Desoxyn (methamphetamine) is the strongest amphetamine, followed by dexedrine (dextroamphetamine sulphate) and then adderall (mixed amphetamine salts)

Old 11-05-2004, 12:21 AM   #10
    MafiaKiddo

MafiaKiddo HB User

That surprises me cus Dexedrine isn't a controlled substance while Adderall is. If they work the same maybe I'll ask my doc to switch to dexedrine then since it's so much cheaper and easier top get. Adderall works great but the medical/prescription bills are a killer so I'd be curious to hear if people taking Adderall have also tried dexedrine and what there thoughts were. Thanks

Look At Me I Have ADHD

Old 11-05-2004, 02:23 AM   #11
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    That surprises me cus Dexedrine isn't a controlled substance while Adderall is.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Dexedrine is also a controlled substance.

Old 11-05-2004, 04:11 AM   #12
    MafiaKiddo

MafiaKiddo HB User

Your right I looked into it more and that is so weird both are classified as Schedule II controlled substances. I wonder why dexedrine is so much cheaper and easier to get. Going to have to ask my doctor about this one.

OK gotta update my post because I just found out something new that totally surprised me. I'll paste it below.

Quote:
    Adderall is the new name for a Dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine)/Amphetamine composite medication which has been around for more than 20 years.

What is Adderall (formerly known as dexedrine)?

It is a single entity amphetamine product combining the neutral salts of dextroamphetamine and amphetamine, with the dextro isomer of amphetamine saccharate and d, I-amphetamine asperate. Each tablet contains:

10 mg 20 mg
    Dextroamphetamine Saccharate 2.5 mg 5 mg
    Amphetamine Aspartate 2.5 mg 5 mg
    Dextroamphetamine Sulfate USP 2.5 mg 5 mg
    Amphetamine Sulfate USP 2.5 mg 5 mg
    Total amphetamine base equivalence 6.3 mg 12.6 mg

Inactive ingredients: sucrose, lactose, corn starch, acacia and magnesium stearate.
    Colors: Adderall 10 mg contains FD & C Blue #1
    Aderall 20 mg contains FD & C Yellow #6 as a color additive.
    If they are really the same thing I'm calling and switching my meds today.

Look At Me I Have ADHD

Last edited by MafiaKiddo; 11-05-2004 at 04:24 AM.

Old 11-05-2004, 06:57 AM   #13
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    If they are really the same thing I'm calling and switching my meds today.
    Adderall contains the same ingredient as Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) but it also contains other ingredients, collectively known as "amphetamine salts". Adderall and Dexedrine are not the same drug.

Dexedrine is cheaper because it has been around so much longer. It carries a slightly higher potential for abuse than does Ritalin and Ritalin's cousins - Concerta, Metadate, methylphenidate, etc.

Old 11-05-2004, 10:18 AM   #14
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User

Quote:
    That surprises me cus Dexedrine isn't a controlled substance while Adderall is. If they work the same maybe I'll ask my doc to switch to dexedrine then since it's so much cheaper and easier top get. Adderall works great but the medical/prescription bills are a killer so I'd be curious to hear if people taking Adderall have also tried dexedrine and what there thoughts were. Thanks
    dexedrine is a controlled substance...in the same class as ritalin, adderall and desoxyn which are considered class 2...considered to have limited uses and very high abuse rate..
    their mode of action in the brain is similar...however because dexedrine contains the dextro (or right) isomer of the amphetamine molecule..and adderall is the levo (or left) isomer of amphetamine molecule, side effects and results will vary depending on the person.
    the dextro isomer is twice as potent as the levo and is more stimulating and considered more "recreational" among those who abuse it..
    adderall seems to cause more instances of increased heart rate, higher blood pressure and increased sweating...

Old 11-05-2004, 12:29 PM   #15
    MafiaKiddo

MafiaKiddo HB User

Alright thanks for all the information I really appreciate it. I'm definately going to talk to my doctor and see what he thinks.

Look At Me I Have ADHD

Closed Thread