It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adult ADD & Ritalin

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-07-2004, 06:57 PM   #1
    TigerLeo

TigerLeo HB User
    Adult ADD & Ritalin

I was just diagnosed with Adult ADD. I was hoping that someone could provide some information to me.

1) I read that one of the symptoms of adult ADD is underachievement. However, I've always been considered an "overachiever". Do you think that the diagnosis of ADD is incorrect?

2) My doctor started me on Ritalin today. I don't notice any difference in the way I feel. How do I know that Ritalin works?

3) I'm also on Zoloft (for severe depression). Will the Ritalin counteract with the Zoloft?

Thank you very much.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 09:57 PM   #2
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User
    Re: Adult ADD & Ritalin

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TigerLeo
    I was just diagnosed with Adult ADD. I was hoping that someone could provide some information to me.

1) I read that one of the symptoms of adult ADD is underachievement. However, I've always been considered an "overachiever". Do you think that the diagnosis of ADD is incorrect?

2) My doctor started me on Ritalin today. I don't notice any difference in the way I feel. How do I know that Ritalin works?

3) I'm also on Zoloft (for severe depression). Will the Ritalin counteract with the Zoloft?

Thank you very much.
    We can overachiever to compensate. However, if you were to get into something really difficult (Like learning Chinese or something) your ability to overcompensate would not be enough and you would trail behind your non-add classmates.

You should feel it, it's a lot like speed (but milder) what dose are you on? There are many types of Ritalin. Ritalin 10MG, time release? They start you out on that but they will probably move you to something else.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Ritalin did away with your need for zoloft.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:46 PM   #3
    TigerLeo

TigerLeo HB User
    Question Re: Adult ADD & Ritalin

Thanks for the response. I'm on Ritalin LA 20mg. I don't feel a thing...I feel the same as I did before the medication. (I am a 46 year old woman.)

I'm still not sure if this is the right diagnosis. I actually don't have trouble with difficult subjects that require concentration. My doctor felt that I am ADD because of several symptoms:

1) I tend to feel "scatter-brained" when I am on the 100mgs of Zoloft. However, a lower dosage causes me to fall into a severe depression. At 100mgs, I am still depressed but I am not suicidal.

2) I had an extremely high GPA in high school and I was active with community clubs, etc. However, when away from school and those clubs, I tended toward drug abuse, dangerous behaviors, etc.

3) When I was in college, I was President of my sorority, involved with a ton of clubs on campus, etc. However, my GPA dropped to a B level. This is because I was having too much fun.

4) Since college days, I have had a very successful career, moving quickly to an executive level. About six months ago, I had enough and I quit.

5) I have always been very driven, a workaholic and very focused. I am a perfectionist. I have learned to become a good manager (where my last staff really liked working for me) and I have learned to get along with peers....though I am still opinionated.

6) Some people say that I don't listen well. Though I try, I sometimes miss cues that are being given to me.

7) I used to occasionally interrupt people but I don't any longer. I think that the Zoloft has really helped me in that regard over the past two years.

8) I believe that my 9 year old daughter is a classic case of ADD. I am arranging for her to be tested.

So, do you think I am ADD? Shouldn't I feel the affects of the Ritalin? Or, does this mean that I need a higher dose?

Thanks for reading through this long question. I am very confused about this diagnosis.

Old 10-08-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User

if it was me I'd take 2 and see what happened.

Just because a symptom is listed doesn't mean you will get it. So he probably used a chart and determined that you are.

Old 10-10-2004, 09:25 AM   #5
    nateislate

nateislate HB User

Quote:
    Thanks for the response. I'm on Ritalin LA 20mg. I don't feel a thing...I feel the same as I did before the medication. (I am a 46 year old woman.)

I'm still not sure if this is the right diagnosis. I actually don't have trouble with difficult subjects that require concentration. My doctor felt that I am ADD because of several symptoms:

2) I had an extremely high GPA in high school and I was active with community clubs, etc. However, when away from school and those clubs, I tended toward drug abuse, dangerous behaviors, etc.

4) Since college days, I have had a very successful career, moving quickly to an executive level. About six months ago, I had enough and I quit.

5) I have always been very driven, a workaholic and very focused. I am a perfectionist. I have learned to become a good manager (where my last staff really liked working for me) and I have learned to get along with peers....though I am still opinionated.

6) Some people say that I don't listen well. Though I try, I sometimes miss cues that are being given to me.
    Thanks for posting this. My counselor thinks I may be ADD. Knowing I'm obsessive about learning things, she suggested I should do some research to prepare for our next session.

I've been confused also because ADD is usually associated with poor performance, and I'm a high performer like you. I had a high GPA as an undergrad and moved into a series of high-power jobs. After 10 years of climbing the ladder, I had had enough and dropped out. I'm now in my second year of grad school, and I have a 4.0 GPA.

But, I'm socially anxious, a condition I self-medicated with alcohol. 52 days ago, I admitted I'm an alcoholic and haven't drank since. When listening to other people, I'm good at understanding their logic and motivation, but I totally miss social/emotional cues.

I've been a pot smoker since age 15 (17 years ago!), and my counselor suggests this may have self-medicated my ADD. I complain that without the ganja (quit that 52 days ago also), I have a harder time focusing on my school work, cleaning my apartment, etc.

Just wanted to say, thanks for sharing your experience. It sounds like our conditions are similar, though neither of us is sure it's ADD.

Old 10-11-2004, 06:35 AM   #6
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Quote:
    I had an extremely high GPA in high school and I was active with community clubs, etc. However, when away from school and those clubs, I tended toward drug abuse, dangerous behaviors, etc.
    This does happen with quite a few ADHD people - work well when they have structure, but go "off the rails" as soon as the structure is gone.

Also, even though it may be the case that it's the Zoloft and boredom that causes you to be scatterbrained etc. (not ADHD), the fact that Ritalin does not show effect straight away does not mean you don't have ADHD.

20mg LA is not very much, you may be better off trying short-acting Ritalin to find the right dose. Also, some with ADHD react well to Ritalin, others don't, and an amphetamine works much better for them.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Last edited by Redhead23; 10-11-2004 at 06:38 AM.

Old 10-12-2004, 09:29 AM   #7
    p-tech

p-tech HB User

I was diagnosed last spring with Adult ADD. I am 52 and successful but decided about 7 years ago to go back to school part time and finish an engineering degree. I usually do one course a quarter at a very good engineering school and have completed about half of the courses I need for my degree. I know I am intelligent but have found I have to work much harder than most students to get good grades. I found I was running out of time in my day with a family, a demanding job, an old house which always needs work and school. My primary doctor recommended a clinical physiologist to evaluate me and the results were that I was in the 15 to 20 percentile of visual and audio processing ability. I started on Concerta last July and found the improvement in my ability to focus was amazing. Initially, my doctor started me out with very low dosages and together we noted the results until we both were satisfied that the results were what we wanted. I am currently taking about 38 mg of Concerta a day and a 20 mg generic Ritalin during times when I really have to concentrate. The upside was I was able to finish a physics course last summer with an A+ (I already had the work ethic and study habits before the medications). What this means is I could sit down for four hours and consistently focus on one subject. I can read a page one time and understand most of what in on it. I still needed to put in the time needed to master the information but the frustration of reading a page of technical language 10 or 15 times was gone. The downside is that when I am taking the larger dose of drugs I lose my sense of humor and struggle shutting down what I am doing to play with my six year old when she comes into my office and wants some attention. My primary doctor and I talked yesterday and he wants to try Strattera and I am considering doing that, but I am very pleased with the current medication because the results are so good. The concerns are:
    1. I am at the maximum recommended doses currently when I am combining the two drugs.
    2. The personality changes during the maximum dose times is not something I like and I am sure my wife and children don't like it either.
    3. I want to find something that works that has the minimal affect on me while finishing this degree program.
    4. If something is working, why mess with it? But after talking with my doctor, whom I both trust and respect, I am going to go on a month trial of the Strattera to see if it helps. I do like the fact that Strattera is not a controlled substance like the Ritalin family of which Concerta is a member.

I would like to mention that in my younger years I did a fair amount of drugs before I realized for myself how destructive they were. During this time, amphetamines were one of my favorite drugs and I believe I was probably self-medicating myself. The problem was I was taking much more than was needed and it is not legal.
    Bottom line is, like most adults I personally know with ADD, I am successful and doing well in life. I do not learn like the average person and what was great about my ADD evaluation was the ability to quantify exactly how I process information I see and hear. Like most adult who struggle with this issue I believe that I am normal and probably do not need drugs for most of the issues of my life because I have learned to compensate in other ways. What I do need help with is to process information more efficiently in a traditional college environment. I am not even sure with the information about this “disability” currently available is really even scratching the surface. My primary doctor has told me that there are probably millions of successful adults with ADD out there and he is not sure that the current rush to drugs for this condition is warranted. It may very well be that ADD is a normal condition in human evolution. That being said there is a use for drugs to help processing of information in learning situations but it is not a long term solution.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:19 PM   #8
    Marchello-

Marchello- HB User

I used to take all of those things, but then I started doing YOGA and taking a lot of Vitamins, and now I don't have as many problems.

Old 10-16-2004, 05:55 AM   #9
    norat
    Inactive

norat HB User

Ritalin will give anyone who uses it focus, it doesn't mean you have ADD. If you guys don't have ADD the med ride you have just embarked on will have an unpleasant outcome.

The meds seem fun at first, but then you get tolerance so you want something stronger. etc, etc.

Closed Thread