It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• from aderall to strattera??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-10-2004, 12:26 AM   #1
    PAmermaids
    Inactive

PAmermaids HB User
    Unhappy from aderall to strattera??

hi. i was having some problems on aderall, so i started cutting back, seemed like i still needed 15mg twicw a day just to "get by" this week my doc. is switting me to strattera....i see alot of ppl had problems with that and switched to aderall. Anyone who was on the aderall then switched to strattera?? i would like to hear your experiences....also yesterday was my first day on strattera, i am to taper off on the aderall while starting the strattera. I didn't take my morning dose of aderall, just took the strattera in the AM, however, come afternoon i was really getting fatigue, and the "blah" feeling so i took my afternoon dose of aderall-- i am not sure if it was medication related or not but i got REALLY sick. the worst headache of my life, severe nausea, and strage problems with my muscles, i couldn't keep still i had to "stretch" all over like every mintute, i had the feeling like i just got out af bed and needed to "stretch my muscles" but it was constant, it was very strange. since it was sat. and the dr. office was closed, my husband called the on call dr. for me, she suggested i go to the ER but i couldn't even get out of bed so i just took some tylenol and lay there all night in agony, finally the tylenol kicked in after my second dose, my headache is now mild and my strange muscle problem is gone, still feeling nauseated. is this a possible side effect form the new med. or most likely unrelated? i plan on going to the dr. office on monday, i am reluctant to take both meds again today, or even take the strattera at all. thanks for listening

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #2
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User
    Re: from aderall to strattera??

Hi I can't help you with the Adderall to Strattera switch info but I can attest to the side effects you are having. My son started Strattera about a year and half ago and he experienced severe fatigue and flu like symptoms for about the first 5-7 days. It subsided after the first five days and completely disappeared after the first week or so. So hang in there it did get much better for my son.

Old 10-12-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
    PAmermaids
    Inactive

PAmermaids HB User

hello. thankyou for the reply, i endde up getting worse and going to the hospital, they didn't find much of a cause for my severe headache, they did a MRI and found nothing abnormal. but they first gave me some meds for the nausea also for the headache through IV , so i did atleast get relief. i think it was probably due to the introduction of the Straterra, becasue of what your son went through and also i seem to have bad adjustment periods with meds. now today i found that my insurance will not cover the strattera, so i am not sure if i will be continuing on it anyway! i find that i go through quite the run around regaurding all my medications, i am on depression meds. makes me wish i didn't need to take any at all, or atleast start over with nothing and then decide what doses of what to be on...thanks for the info. i know that no matter what problems i have, there are lots of people on the boards who are so caring and helpful, and understanding, thanks for being one of them -Liz

Old 10-12-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
    suzy_Q

suzy_Q HB User

We had the same problem with our insurance company. You can appeal their decision not to cover it if you get a letter from your physician with good reasons why you need to be on this drug. It doesn't always work but it's worth a try, might save you a few bucks. Hang in there I know it can feel like things are closing in around you sometimes. I know I can feel very overwhelmed dealing with my son at times, I try to remember things could be sooo much worse. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:22 AM   #5
    sawbuck44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

PAMermaids, what kind of problems did you experience with Adderall that made you and the doc switch you to Strattera? How long were you on Adderall?

Old 10-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #6
    PAmermaids
    Inactive

PAmermaids HB User

hi sawbuck44
    I was having mostly problems when coming off the adderall, was unaable to get XR through my insurance, so i took it in the morning, and again early afternoon, the problem was if i didnt take it early enough in the afternoon i got extreme fatigue and depression all that quickly, also i got these symtoms in the evening after my second dose wore off, and nothing i could really do. also i was having tolerance problems, and worry about it i think made it much worse, i think if i can cut back and find a small dose that will help the adhd, but cut back the side effects, esspecially the strong mood change coming off it, i would do better, it is very hard to find that balance though. since it is addictive i had problems stopping it also, i have only been completely off for about a week. I think maybe i was just on to high a dose. i am going to play around with it, taking very small amount in the morning and afternoon and hope for the best.

Closed Thread