It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Help w. 19yrold son

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-15-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
    alli's mom
    (female)

alli's mom HB User
    Help w. 19yrold son

My stepson was diagnosed with ADD in May of this year. He is currently a fulltime student at a community college and holds down a partime job. The last two semesters have been awful for him. Part of the problem is that since he was diagnosed in May he has yet to make an appointment with a Psychiatrist to be prescibed medication. This is causing an obvious problem as we recieved his semester grades yesterday and his GPA has now dropped to a 1.80. I am at a loss as to what to do. He is not a child so I feel that he should be taking responsiblity forb himself and doing this on his own. Then I wonder if his problem is making him completely able to function. I just need a little advice about how to handle him. I am sure I have left something out. Let me know if you need more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
    catie1
    (female)

catie1 HB User
    Re: Help w. 19yrold son

Hi, my 20 yr. old son was having the same trouble with his classes. He couldn't focus and concentrate and didn't do very well. He was prescribed Strattera by his doctor and says it has helped him concentrate better, and slow his thoughts down a little. Your son may be procrastinating because the idea of going to a psychiatrist still has a stigma for some. Family physicians can diagnose this and prescribe a medication. I don't know if there may be some other reason you want him to go to a psych., but maybe he would go do it if it was just a regular doctor visit. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 PM   #3
    Z'sMom

Z'sMom HB User
    Re: Help w. 19yrold son

At this age, you'd like to think that he's grown up enough to make this decision and improve his lot in life. Unforunately, depression often goes hand in hand with ADD/ADHD for adults. His procrastination and other behaviors may indicate to you whether or not he's depressed. Is he? Is he having difficulty coping in other areas?

If you think ADD/ADHD is really impacting his life, you can only make the help he needs AVAILABLE. Ask him if he wants your help to get things scheduled (and you don't need a psych to get meds) until he's "on his feet". Point to his grades and ask if he'd like things to come more easily. If he does go to a psych, then he can get MORE help than just meds...a life coach, an organizational mentor, counseling to help "undo" his perceptions of himself caused by dealing for years with his ADD, etc. Share stories that make taking this course of action 'normal', something that he knows you will support because you've gotten help at some time or other (or someone else in the family has).

You can encourage and support...maybe even make the appointment. BUT, in the long run, he has to WANT help, want to improve, want to address the issues he has. Something about leading a horse to water...

Closed Thread