It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall Side Effect? PLEASE HELP!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-21-2004, 11:23 PM   #1
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Question Adderall Side Effect? PLEASE HELP!

Hey everyone, thanks for reading this. I'm grateful for any feedback I can get. I am 21/F with ADHD and General Anxiety Disorder. I began taking Adderall XR 3 months ago for the ADHD. It is the only med I am currently taking. I have always been in good health, but since starting Adderall XR (I am now at a dose of 20MG twice daily), I've experienced a strange side effect. I am small frame (5'6" 110 lbs) with a normal blood pressure of 120/70. At my 1 month check-up after starting the Adderall my blood pressure had dropped to 110/64. Then yesterday, 2nd follow-up, it was 88/64 - very low for me! My pulse rate remains the same as always (in the 90s, as I am a very anxious person). My doctor says this is nothing to worry about and says 88/64 is still considered normal. Regardless of his reassurance, I am scared something is wrong. Aren't stimulants supposed to RAISE blood pressure? Has anyone ever heard of this type of effect? Please help, I am losing sleep over this and scared I'm gonna die or something!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2004, 03:37 PM   #2
    Vintage Wine
    (female)

Vintage Wine HB User
    Re: Adderall Side Effect? PLEASE HELP!

My blood pressure is low all the time too (20 mg Adderall per day). I don't know exactly why that is, but I had low blood pressure to begin with. Now, SSRI's RAISED my blood pressure. Ewww. I couldn't handle that.

I'm sure there's an explanation for why our blood pressure is low. Since your doctor said it's safe, then, I guess it's OK.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:59 PM   #3
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User

Thanks for the feedback! I feel a little better now, knowing I'm not alone in this. The doctors say low BP is considered "healthy" unless you are experiencing side effects such as dizziness/weakness. I guess high BP puts you at a much higher risk of complications. I don't blame you for stopping the SSRI! If a drug is putting that much stress on your body, it's just not worth it. I guess I will stick with my Adderall, as everyone I've talked with seems to think I shouldn't worry. Anyway, thanks again for your 2 cents, have a great day

Old 12-23-2004, 07:06 AM   #4
    denmom
    (female)

denmom HB User

My daughter is 16 and has been taking Adderall XR for over a year. Other than doing the "teen thing" and going on and off of it she has been taking it consistantly for the last 3 months and has seen significant differences.

Although she states that she doees not always care for some of the side effects, she is now an "A"/"B" student and excelling in writing and other areas. She truly can tell the difference when on it. Although she feels as though she is less socil adn feels a sort of "flat affect" at times, it has been crucial in her focusing and academic success.

SHe state that it is worth it. Although she does have trouble remembering to take it at times, she says that as long as she is reminded on occassion to take it, the Adderall has really made a difference in her life.

Closed Thread