It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adderall Question -- Is This Dangerous?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-25-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Exclamation Adderall Question -- Is This Dangerous?

Hey everyone! If you are currently taking, or are familiar with the ADHD drug AdderallXR, I would appreciate your input on this. I am 21/F and have been taking this med for a couple months now.

I realize that "anorexia/loss of appetite" is listed as a side effect by the manufacturer, but I feel my case is a little extreme. I am 5'6" and when I began the med I was about 125 lbs. Now, only 2 months later I am down to 106. Of course my appetite is dulled from the drug, but I still make sure I eat 3 square meals a day and drink lots of water. I don't understand why my weight is dropping the way it is when my eating habits haven't really changed much. That is a 15% drop in a 2-month period which fits the diagnostic criteria for Anorexia Nervosa (eating disorder).

All my friends & family keep nagging me, accusing me of starving myself and saying I'm too skinny. This infuriates me because I don't starve myself by any means!!! I eat!!! I just don't know where it goes? And I'm scared that my weight is going to continue to drop, as it has been quite steadily. Has anyone heard of such drastic weight loss on Adderall??? I do not have an eating disorder and I am sick of everyone's rude comments! Any feedback would be appreciated

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
    Zulu
    (male)

Zulu HB User
    Re: Adderall Question -- Is This Dangerous?

You probably have a really good metabolism, and the increase in cardio activity and the decrease in appetite that Adderall causes is acting with your naturally effective metabolism to really spike things up. What you can do is explain this to people accusing you and jumping to the wrong conclusions, so at least they know the truth, and the most important is to speak to your doctor to either change the medication, or a nutritionist to come up with a diet that will make sure you put on weight(and good weight with complex carb's and proteins) regardless of how good you metabolise it.

If telling people who accuse you of an eating disorder is a problem because they don't even know you're taking medication for attention defficit, then I say **** it and tell them about the Add too. Add is nothing to be ashamed off, infact don't be ashamed of anything, you've overcome far more than people will ever know and you should be proud of that, not ashamed.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Barbie, sorry you are having such a hard time with family and friends.

I can understand why you are concerned about your weight. Anorexia and weight loss is a common side-effect (as you know) of Adderall, but your's does seem extreme. I think you really need to talk to your doctor about it, especially if the weight loss continues. My only other suggestion is to try more between-meal snacks and maybe try to sneak in more calories in liquid form. When my son was struggling with this issue, I gave him a Yoplait smoothie or a milkshake any time he was thirsty. That seemed to help.

Good luck to you!

Old 12-26-2004, 08:47 AM   #4
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Arrow Re: Adderall Question -- Is This Dangerous?

Zulu--

Thank you so much for your advice And also for putting things in plain english -- that is exactly what I'll start telling everyone. It has just been so stressful having to deal with everyone's rude comments and remarks. I actually had a relative over last night who called my mother and told her that it was disgusting how thin I was and that I was probably starving myself. The nerve!!!!! So of course this resulted in my mother hasseling me even more. She was being totally irrational, saying that ADHD is garbage and that the medicine is only giving me an eating disorder. This is completely untrue, I have noticed a huge difference, mentally, since starting the drug. No use in trying to explain anything to her though. I can't win I'm just going to concentrate on getting in a healthy amount of nutrients/calories daily and that's all I can do... screw what everyone else thinks. I see my doc in a couple weeks so I will speak with him about this as well. Anyway, thank you for taking the time to reply! Have a good one

--Barbie

Old 12-26-2004, 08:54 AM   #5
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User

index.html --

Thank you for the tip! I am going to try that (the liquid calorie idea). I guess all the water I'm drinking isn't helping my situation any since it has no calories or nutrients. I would think this would help my situation out quite a bit actually! I see my doctor in a couple weeks so I'm going to do my best to at least maintain my weight (if not gain a little) before the appointment. This drug has helped me a lot in terms of the ADHD, so I would hate to give it up over something I should be able to control. Thanks for the advice and have a great day

--MalibuBarbie

Old 12-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #6
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User

Barbie, How I wish I could give you some of my extra pounds. When my doctor put me on Adderall for my ADD, he told me that an added benefit (side effect) of taking the medication is that I would probably lose weight while on it since many people have that "problem" with taking Adderall. I put quotation marks around it because for me it wouldn't be a problem. I could stand to lose some weight, but of course, wouldn't you know it, the medication doesn't affect me in the least. It doesn't help the ADD that I notice and it also doesn't cause any weight loss either. What I would do is what someone else suggested...drink milkshakes. They're sure to add some weight to you. It works for me without intending it. I know drinking water is good for you, but in your case I wouldn't go overboard with it. Since it doesn't have calories and has a tendency to fill you up, it actually is doing the opposite of what you want. It's not adding much-needed calories, and it's also making you too full to eat or drink things that do have calories and that could help you put on some weight. Also, I've read that drinking lots of water helps to speed up your metabolism, and I certainly don't think that you want that to happen at this point. So I would cut back on the water (don't exclude it though) and try to get those high-calorie foods like milkshakes in me. I'm sure it can be very frustrating having to put up with those horrible comments that people are making to you. Good luck; I hope you can put on some weight. Definitely mention your concerns to your doctor when you see him.

Old 12-26-2004, 01:50 PM   #7
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User

comeonnow --

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate you taking the time to respond I am definitely going to start replacing a lot of the water I've been drinking with juice or milkshakes (for the added calories and the nutritional factor as well). It's weird, since I've been on Adderall my metabolism (which was once pretty normal -- not too speedy or anything), seems like it's on overdrive. I can't seem to understand how even lately (during the holidays) I've been eating more sweets & all that good stuff & my weight is still on the decline. The wonders of modern meds, huh? For awhile I was getting dizzy spells, which I thought were being caused by the medicine (it's listed as a side effect), but since I've been trying to eat bigger portions & stuff I haven't run into that problem. I guess what was causing the dizziness was a lack of nutrients. I guess as long as I am feeling healthy that's a good thing. I am sorry to hear Adderall didn't help you. What dosage were you taking and for how long? Possibly you just needed to take a higher dose. Have you tried any other meds? Thanks again for the advice, and have a great day!

Old 12-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #8
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malibubarbie999
    comeonnow --
    What dosage were you taking and for how long? Possibly you just needed to take a higher dose. Have you tried any other meds? Thanks again for the advice, and have a great day!
    If I remember correctly I started out on a 10-mg dose of it, then he moved me to 20 mg 3 times a day and now I am on a 20-mg once a day dose of Adderall XR. None of those have really helped me that I have noticed. He also tried me on Dexadrine and Ritalin; those were both flops too. I really am thinking that I'm probably one of out the 20% of people who aren't helped by ADD medication. I've more or less given up on it, so I'm back to square one. I had high hopes when I was diagnosed with the ADD several years ago after not knowing for years what was wrong with me, but still nothing helps me, so I'm really not much further ahead than I was before I had the diagnosis, just still trying to cope with life and drifting from job to job. But I'm glad that the Adderall is helping you. Just keep up with the high calories and I think that will help you a lot.

Old 12-26-2004, 08:58 PM   #9
    Zulu
    (male)

Zulu HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malibubarbie999
    This resulted in my mother hasseling me even more. She was being totally irrational, saying that ADHD is garbage and that the medicine is only giving me an eating disorder. This is completely untrue, I have noticed a huge difference, mentally, since starting the drug. No use in trying to explain anything to her though. I can't win
    Wow thats really sad to here, but I was the same as your mother (and I was suffering from the damn thing myself) its so easy to doubt I suppose.The key is to educate yourself and others about the disorder to prove it's real and it really affects you. I recommend the book "Driven to Distraction" mostly, but most significantly I recommend giving another copy of it to the most significant relationship the condition is affecting (your mother, your sibling, your boyfriend etc etc) and to read through it separately, and maybe after every chapter or two (maybe once a week) meet up to talk about what you've read. I did the same thing with my parents so I know it can work and ultimately the relief of being on the same page or at least closer to the same page and the pieces of the puzzle it can help fix can tottally transform your relationship.

Last edited by Zulu; 12-28-2004 at 05:52 AM.

Old 12-27-2004, 09:06 PM   #10
    ang64063

ang64063 HB User

My son has a hard time keeping the weight on too. He is only 7 years old and weighs about 50 pounds and is 4'5" (can you say bean pole?) He has a very active metabolism and he eats constantly (cookies, candy, chips, fruit, etc..whatever he can get his hands on.) I have tried many many things to get him some extra pounds, but nothing works.

Here are some suggestions that the doctors gave me, eventhough they did not work for my son, they may work for you.

Try making smoothies or a shakes for a between meal snacks
    Instead of eating 3 regular meals, try 6 small meals and a before bedtime snack w/milk,a shake or a high calorie drink.
    Drink high calorie drinks such as Ensure, Pedisure, Carnation Instant Breakfast, or Slim Fast between meals.
    Have healthy snacks on hand (such as raisins, yogurt, popcorn, crackers, bananas, apples, celery, Jell-O etc.)
    Add ice cream to your bedtime routine. Not only is it high in calories, but the calcium will help you to sleep better.
    Try adding cheese and a creamy dressing like ranch to foods such as pasta and vegetables
    Take your vitamins!

Old 12-28-2004, 01:35 AM   #11
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Comeonnow, doesn't it always seem like the thin people get thinner whenever a chance occurs and the heavy ones never get the possible side effect of weight loss? I am one of those that gains weight whenever possible too.
    But I am writing to encourage you to continue your search for something which will work for your ADD/ADHD be it medication or something else. My son tried quite a few drugs before we hit on Adderal which worked for him. We only tried that because a friend had had success with it so I asked the doctor for it. But everyone has a different reaction and the ones that did not work for him might do wonders for you. So hang in there and your magic remedy will come along.
    Malibubarbie, you hang in there too. I envy you your cure but i know that your weightless problem is just as bad for you as my weight problem is for me. One thing not mentioned here is protein powder. I know people mix it in to their drinks when they want to gain muscle and weight. You can get this and other natural additives at health food stores.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:37 PM   #12
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Smile Re: Adderall Question -- Is This Dangerous?

Thank you everyone for your wonderful advice!!! I have gotten so many great ideas from all of you & with all your tips, I should have my weight up to a healthy level in no time!

comeonnow-- I truly wish you the best of luck in finding a med that will work for you. Don't give up, there's something out there!

zulu-- I ordered the book you suggested, thank you so much for your insight!

ang-- I'm sorry to hear your son is going through this! He is definitely not alone. Hopefully as he gets older, he will fill out a little more. I've seen that in children quite a bit actually. I found your nutritional tips to be very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to pass that info on to me!

lateeth-- That's true what you said... people always look at being over-weight as a problem, without acknowledging that being too thin can also cause problems... especially when a drop in weight happens so quickly, like mine did. My blood pressure dropped, I felt dizzy, etc. Thank God that is starting to change... adding more calories into my diet has made me feel a lot better physically. Also, thanks for the protein tip. I am a vegetarian so protein is an issue... I've never tried protein shakes, but it's worth a shot!

Have a great new years all!!!

Old 01-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #13
    contagiousone
    (female)

contagiousone HB User

Hi. When my son was taking that exact medication the Dr. told me that he would have a loss of appetite and lose weight, but not over 5 pounds. So, if I were you I would definitely look into this and maybe even consider changing meds!

Closed Thread