It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• any experiences with strattera???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-27-2004, 09:04 AM   #1
    hopeless_gurl
    (female)

hopeless_gurl HB User
    Question any experiences with strattera???

Hello, Im new to the board although I have a feeling I will be posting here a lot in time to come. as I have so many problems that are unresolved. and so many unanswered questions.
    Q: for now is : has anyone been on strattera before or currently?

my doctor prescribed this med. for me a couple of months ago and im skeptical about trying it since having bad experiences with other meds.
    I did take it 1 time and i had hot flashes followed by cold chills?
    and Im about to try again today as I need some relief .
    I have not been diag. with add or adhd... although I have depression/ anxiety issues. that have not clearly had a dx put on them either...

ID LIKE TO HEAR FROM SOME ONE ELSE WHO HAS TAKEN THIS MED. AND YOUR EXPIEREINCE PLEASE.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2004, 07:41 PM   #2
    ang64063

ang64063 HB User
    Re: any experiences with strattera???

I don't take it, but my son does and he is doing so much better on it and taking the many vitamins and suppliments that he takes. Since we started the suppliments we have been about to take him off of three perscription medications, but am not even considering taking him off the Strattera at this point in his life.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:16 AM   #3
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hi My son takes Strattera too and has no side effects except tiredness mid day. The only thing is that there was a warning on the news last week about it the same day they were warning about celebrex. I have not had a chance to speak with my doctor yet about this warning but you might want to ask your doctor before you begin it again. The warning was about liver damage connected to Stratera.
    Has anyone researched this?

Old 12-28-2004, 05:55 PM   #4
    hopeless_gurl
    (female)

hopeless_gurl HB User
    Question Re: any experiences with strattera???

thanks so much for your replies, just a relief I guess to hear from someone else on it.
    like I said I did take 1 pill and i could tell a difference. I did have hot/cold flashes. not enough to stop taking it and I felt kinda like I was in a zone.
    my husband rides horses which would trigger panic attacks on me .
    and on the day i took this dose I went along and i didnt have a panic. although
    I kinda didnt feel anything. happy , sad, or scared, and for some reason
    i woke up like 5 am wide awake the next morn.
    I do think ill try it again maybe tomorrow. Im just a worrier and after bad side effects from another med. Im really scared , til I hear from someone else (although I know everyone is different )
    another med I have is seroquel / symbyax I think is the generic form.
    and Im terrified with it b.c Im not diag. with psycotic or nothing
    only depression and anxiety stress related racing thoughts at times. I
    am going to post in that area but if you have any info would greatly help me as well.
    thanks again!

Old 12-28-2004, 07:50 PM   #5
    Wensdzchld

Wensdzchld HB User

Hi, I'm new to this board as well. I've been taking Strattera since about June for ADD. I don't recall ever having hotflashes (you might want to ask your doc about that) but I did have some dizzy spells, daytime sleepiness, sleep disruptions at night, and even a few bad dreams at first. However as time went on most of these went away. It does tend to make me constipated and continues to do so. Also I've found that if I don't take it at exactly (with in an hour or so) the same time every day it makes me feel exhausted the following day. Apparently you have to take it everyday (or according to the times prescribed by your doctor) for it to take effect. It is also something that has to build up in your system in order for it to work (this is one thing that makes it different from the stimulant medications normally prescribed for ADD). In addition to ADD I was diagnosed with mild depression/anxiety and learning disablilities. I have found that the Strattera seems to help with the anxiety and some with the depression, but I'm not sure that it's helping much with the ADD. I will be going to my doc next week for a follow up and I may ask about something different at that time. I haven't heard anything about the liver problems mentioned by some of the other people on this board (it wouldn't surprize me though since it is very dehydrating) so I guess I'll ask her about that as well. I hope this helps.
    Wednesday

Old 12-29-2004, 06:49 AM   #6
    hopeless_gurl
    (female)

hopeless_gurl HB User

my doctor asked me questions like was I in trouble a lot at school? (no)
    did I feel intimidated? (yes) 3. did I daydream or zone out? (yes) 4. did I make good grades ?( yes until now it has become hard for me to concentrate,I have memory block, as well as dont comprehend like i use too.
    I have worked with children who are ADHD and know somewhat how that works. But Can you tell me what as an individual do you experience as having ADD?
    What Do I need to look for ?
    I also think my daughter is showing some of the signs she just dont get a lot of her school work (in simplest form)

so what symptoms / signs of ADD?

Old 12-29-2004, 11:26 PM   #7
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hopeless gurl, it sounds as tho you have multiple problems and if you are taking other medications beside the straterra you should make sure your doctor who prescribed it knows about it. You also can ask the pharmacist as they know about drug interactions between drugs too. Give them a list of everything you are taking.
    You can get a list of common symptoms which people with ADD/ADHD have and read thru them to see which of them you might have. I think you could probably find that on a website dealing with the problem (google ADD or ADHD). Usually if you have more than a certain number, it is an indication. But everyone has some of the symptoms so if you just have a few, it could be something else. Some of the things you mention are not common symptoms so might be from some of your other medical problems.
    I am wondering too because I have not heard of ADD starting in adulthood. Some people do not recognize that they have ADD until they are an adult but usually once they find out they then can look back and remember the symptoms as a child. Depression can cause some of the things you mention like having problems concentrating. Also, the doctors i have seen have given me a pamphlet explaining ADD and its symptoms and treatments. You can get one of those from your doctor. I am taking my son to a Neurologist for his ADD. I found this choice more helpful than a psychiatrist in my case, altho many people do see psychiatrists.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:40 AM   #8
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Hopeless gurl, your symptoms and reactions are very similar to mine.

Lateeth (& Hope gurl), Although I was just diagnosed with ADD at age 51(!), I'm sure I've had it since I was very young. I can think back on so many things I've done and especially things I've said said over the years that cause me so much embarassment that I would pack a few things and leave town to start over--without consciously realizing why I was doing it.

I also have obsessive compulsive issues--which are "normal" in my family. And I've fought a lot of depression since I was very young too. Anxiety was normal for me as well.

It seems all of these conditons feed off of each other, forming a vicious cycle. It seems memory troubles can be at the root of much of it. For example, I remember to do something I had forgotten. Then, before it's complete, something in the project reminds me of another chore I had forgotten. Fearful that I will forget the second item if I don't do it right away, I leave the first project (literally leaving it out so I wont forget it later), and I begin the second task. Invariable the 2nd task with remind me of something else equally important the needs doing. Now I leave task 2 and start task 3 so that I wont forget it, or procrastinate. Eventually my home is a mess of papers etc., and the projects which were left out are littered with bits of junk mail and energy bar wrappers. This makes me depressed, as well as anxious about visitors. In an effort to focus on something more pleasont, take on a job.

That's the most accurate picture of ADD in action that I can give at 2:30 am (as I obsessively type, needing to share these thoughts with someone who won't tell me "it's an excuse" or "ADD doesn't exist."

Now, to get to the original question. I've been taking Strattera for several weeks. I'm also taking Zoloft, so it's hard to say which side effects are caused by which drugs. I have an appointment tomorrow morning, and am going to tell the psychiatrist that this really isn't working for me. Medication has typically affected me differently that the average human. Maybe being post-menapausal makes a difference too.
    I am getting chills, and my obsessing and attention/memory issues seem worse. So, I intend to stand firm tomorrow about trying something else--maybe no meds for awhile.

Lateeth, can you share any relevent parts of your experiene with the Neurologist?
    Thanks,
    Nancy

Last edited by seriousperson; 12-30-2004 at 12:42 AM.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hey Nancy/hopeless gurl your stories do sound very similar. I wonder if the combo of straterra and zoloft make chills since you both have the same problem.
    My son has only ADD (as far as I know) and that is the main reason i like the neurologist better than the psychiatrist. We had originally gone to a psych when he was in elementary school but she seemed to be interested only in medicating (and overmedicating I thought). She gave him Ritalin because i mentioned he had a habit of clearing his throat which she decided might be Tourets syndrome, which is more common in people with add. Since my son did not have ADHD this drug was not good for him and also i needed those annoying triplicate prescriptions all the time. Anyway, she had said she would do counseling which i had read was important together with drugs but after 4 or 5 sessions it was evident there was no counseling to be done. Then one day when we had an appt he had a bad day at school.. a test, he was tired, some kid had prob teased him etc. He was a child and was in a sour mood after school so he wasn't talking much. That led her to believe he was depressed and she prescribed anti depressants. in addition to the ADD meds. My son had never appeared depressed and even on that day he was just unhappy and sad and stressed as you sometimes can be when a bunch of stuff is piled on you in one day. I thought that was overdone on the meds so i decided to go elsewhere. That is why i went to the neurologist. They understand lots about your brain. She is much calmer than the psychiatrist was and more willing to listen and ask questions. It could just be their two personalities.
    I just wanted to comment that some of the things you mention you do Nancy sound just like me and I do not have ADD, but i do have this thing called getting older where i keep forgetting what i went to do and i keep getting sidetracked by other projects i forgot about finishing before. My house has never been neat. Straightening up has always been at the bottom of my list so just about anything will interupt me from doing that. In fact tomorrow i need to do some major straightening because i foolishly invited some friends over and then looked at the mess. Oh well, at least that will motivate me. I thought i would have time to straighten the house up when my child left for college but she has been gone 4 months and it is worse than before. I think i just have other priorities. That and i never want to get rid of anything so after a while there is no storage space left. So that may or may not be ADD. I do believe in ADD.

Old 12-31-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
    hopeless_gurl
    (female)

hopeless_gurl HB User

went in to see doctor yesterday, and he suggest that i go for a evaluation with the phychiatrist . since none of the meds that they had me on was doing much anyway.
    and that for him to "cocktail" me up a med. would only interfere with whats going on and make it worse. I Really liked seeing this new doc. he was very informative and listened to what i had to say instead of telling me ( you should do this , you shouldnt do that) he was willing to listen and he seemed to understand a great deal. and also from the view I got on one of my other meds that Ive been afraid to take. he said he rarely ever prescribed that one. only the 2 that were in it but not at the same time... so he must think I didnt need it. I have spoken with my spouse about this to some extent b/c he just dont usually undertand, and my mom totally dont! she thinks if you seek counceling that your going to be sent off to a mental hosp. but my husb. was more understanding. and I think I will follow ip with this. Because my WORST problem is ANXIETY and I dont think I truly am ADD. Im smart when im not depressed or having lot of anxiety. and when im not in pain I can get my work done clean house top to bottom. only I pay dearly the next day with pain to my back.
    you have been of great help and support to me.. where my family dont understand. THANK YOU DEEPLY.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:29 PM   #11
    Time2Heal
    (female)

Time2Heal HB User

My son (15) was diag. with ADHD in 1st grade. After 7 docs. and every med possible, adderall worked best for him. Last year the dr. put him on Strattera because I was concerned about the long term effects of adderall. Well, I guess because he was so suddenly stopped from adderall, the strattera had horrible effects on him. So, after 1 day- he was put back on adderall.

I have heard of it helping many, many people. But in his case...it didn't.

I have been through so much over the years with him and he has been through even more-it is very hard to see what he goes through everyday!

Caytie!

Old 12-31-2004, 06:29 PM   #12
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hi Caytie, my son, also 15 started on Strattera last year. The neurologist we see had him wean off the adderall over a 3 week period while he took both of them. She told me that Strattera has to build up in your system and will not work until it does. When he stopped the adderall after that time and was only on Strattera, i really could tell no difference in how they both worked, except for him being tired after school every day. She said that would last for 4-6 months as an aftereffect of the Adderall. One of the reasons, aside from what you mentioned to use Strattera according to my doc is that because it builds up in your system, if you miss a day or two after the buildup period, you still have the effect of the med in your system. My son usually does not take it on weekends and i have not noticed this buildup effect in him...he still cannot do weekend homework without taking a pill if he has a big project.

Old 12-31-2004, 06:33 PM   #13
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Hey Hopeless Gurl, you need to change your name to Hopeful Gurl now!

Old 01-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
    JT95
    (male)

JT95 HB User

Quote:
    I have worked with children who are ADHD and know somewhat how that works. But Can you tell me what as an individual do you experience as having ADD?
    30 yr old male here. Just recently diagnosed as ADD inattentive type. I, too, have worked with ADHD kids and never considered myself to remotely have ADD because I always attached this image of a hyperactive kid bouncing off the walls, unable to sit still and look in the same direction for more than 30 seconds. (That's an exaggeration, I know...) As I looked more into ADD I saw that all these "signs" pointed to me, and I learned that the hyperactivity does not have to be part of each person's equation. Here is what I have dealt with as "symptoms":

* Problem getting to tasks--if I spent three hours on a project the first hour was spent just trying to get started.
    * I can rarely get past the halfway point of any book I try to read.
    * I procrastinate.
    * I forget appointments, engagements, etc.
    * Poor concept of passing time. I'll say I'm going to be home at 6:00 and it'll be 6:45 and I haven't even left for home yet and think "When the heck did it get this late."
    * BIG problem with starting projects and then not finishing them.
    * In school I was neverhyper nor a discipline problem, but I was a doodler--my notebooks are filled with sketches and cartoons I would draw during lecture times.
    * I am fidigety as far as tapping fingers or constantly tapping rhythms with my teeth.
    * And, OMG, organization is a tremendous challenge for me. I'll clear off my desk and within a day it is piled with a war zone of papers, etc. that have no order whatsoever. I wate so much time at work LOOKING for what I need that could be spent more productively actually accomplishing something.

This is most of what I have dealt with. Hope it helps you identify your own situation.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #15
    Wensdzchld

Wensdzchld HB User

Hopeless(hopeful)gurl and lateeth: from what I have found out ADD and ADHD can be hereditary. Often times when a child is diagnosed one or both parents realize that they too have symptoms and sometimes they are diagnosed as well. I do not have children myself but I can say that both my father and mother exhibit symptoms of ADD as well though neither one has ever been diagnosed. I'm in my thirties and was diagnosed 6 months ago. I was trying to get into graduate school and had difficulty with the GRE. I've always known I had some kind of math problem and I've always been a slow reader (although I love reading and have a high comprehension rate). I never thought it was anything treatable though. I thought that maybe I was just "slow" or dumb or not trying hard enough. Plus I didn't think there was a such thing as a math learning disability. But a friend of mine who saw me struggling at work to calculate payrolls mentioned that he had something called "dyscalculia". I've since learned that this term is obsolete and no longer in use. My recent struggles with the GRE prompted me to get tested and as suspected the tests revealed that I had a both a math and reading learning disability. However I was shocked to learn that I also have ADD (or ADHD with out hyperactivity). Initially when the neuro-psychologist told me it didn't sink in because he kept using the words attention/concentration. He seemed to think that this was one of the causes of my slow reading. When I finally asked him what it meant he told me that I have what the medical community is now calling ADHD with out hyperactivity. He recommended several books, additional counciling, and medication. He also suggested that I try Statterra first.

I recommend that you read a book called Women with Attention Deficit Disorder by Sari Solden. Most books on ADHD still focus on the hyperactive type. This book, however focuses primarily on ADD (or ADHD with out hyperactivity). It also discusses many of the specific problems that women with ADD face such as cultural pressures etc. It also offers sollutions and suggestions for dealing with ADD. For a non-fiction book it is fairly easy to read and also includes visual aids. I strongly recommend it for anyone who has been diagnosed with the non-hyper type of ADD or has a family member diagnosed with it.

As for my symptoms, they include the following:
    *Difficulty concentrating
    *"Drifting" "zoning out" or daydreaming while reading although my eyes still move down the page. This causes me to have to back track and reread sections
    *Poor sense of direction and easily confused especially at night or when conditions are not optimal for driving. Although I seem to read maps really well, I have to constantly check and recheck them and there is also always the posibility of me "zoning out" and missing a turn or an exit.
    *Extremely poor memory for appointments. Although writing them down helps I will still forget them if they are in a date book or a planner. However I've recently learned that using Post It Notes on my front door helps me to keep track of them.
    *Unless things are visible (as in left out where I can see them) I have trouble finding them.
    *Extremely poor organizational and house keeping skills. I constantly loose things like my keys for instance. I now use large brightly colored key chains to help with this.
    *I have trouble starting projects and trouble finishing them once they are started.
    *While doing research on a topic I'm easily side tracked and often end up pursuing something that has no relationship to the original topic.
    *I often feel "bombarded" with ideas or thoughts for a project.
    *I jump from topic to topic in conversations and I am easily distracted by other things while talking. I have also made people angry by walking off before they were finished talking to me (although I didn't realize they still wanted to talk to me).
    I could go on but I think you probably get the idea.

Closed Thread