It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Can you be prescribed Adderall/Dexedrine with a history of recreational drug use?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-04-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
    Sarah22
    (female)

Sarah22 HB User
    Can you be prescribed Adderall/Dexedrine with a history of recreational drug use?

I want to switch from Concerta to Adderall or Dexedrine for several reasons.

But....
    I was self-medicating my (what I now know as) ADD symptoms for a while with small amounts of a "recreational" drug before diagnosis of ADD.

Will I therefore be ruled out of ever being prescribed Adderall or Dexedrine?

Is it likely to be different in UK to America?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 12:23 AM   #2
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User
    Re: Can you be prescribed Adderall/Dexedrine with a history of recreational drug use?

Technically, I don't think stimulants (including Concerta) are supposed to be prescribed for anyone with a history with a drug abuse. That said, though, it seems to happen all the time so you never know, it could happen!

Old 01-05-2005, 05:31 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
    Re: Can you be prescribed Adderall/Dexedrine with a history of recreational drug use?

I can tell you from my sons exp[erience, that he had told the doc that he had been through drug treatment for alcohol just a few months before and the only things she would Rx is the non stimulating meds.I don't think that you would be able to find a really GOOD doc that would take a chance in doing this for you,it is just a little risky.But you might be able to find a not so good doc that would do it.But i don't know if i could even trust a doc that would actually do this.Hope you find something that works for you.Marcia

Old 01-05-2005, 08:26 AM   #4
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User

Well, you're already taking Concerta, which is a stimulant, so why would getting a script for Adderall or Dexedrine be a problem? Concerta is methylphenidate and Adderall & Dexedrine are amphetamine. Both are stimulants that work very similar in the brain, but are made up of different chemical compounds. If your doc is giving you Concerta already, I don't see what the problem is. As long as you have some *valid* reasons for wanting to change meds (like negative side effects or something) I don't see why you'd have trouble switching meds.

Old 01-08-2005, 04:53 PM   #5
    Sarah22
    (female)

Sarah22 HB User

Have found out that Adderall has not been approved for prescription in the UK.
    This leaves me with Dexedrine. On the guidelines it states that Methylphenidates (i.e. Ritalin and Concerta) should be used with caution in those with a history of drug or alcohol abuse and Dextroamphetamines (i.e. Adderall and Dexedrine) have 'a history of drug or alcohol abuse' under contraindications.

How do they define 'a history of drug abuse' and how strict is this?
    I'd have thought that if the (minor use) use of non-prescribed drugs was due to undiagnosed ADHD, and that prescribed drugs could help this, surely it's better treat medically, non? But maybe it's not seen this way in the UK.

Old 01-09-2005, 09:32 AM   #6
    Hilliard
    (male)

Hilliard HB User

Sarah, Im a 21m heavy user of drugs to self-medicate.. opiates primarly for the last 3 years, and in june i stopped. ADHD, is closely related with substance abuse.. its quite common.. dont let ANYONE tell you otherwise.. ive seen two psychatrist in the last 3 weeks and im now on a healthy dose of adderall, though i want to switch to dexedrine... Both doctors agree that stimulants are a safe and healthy alternative to opiate use, for the same symptoms.. we even had a laugh when we spoke of this.. Seems to me that you're getting to techincal here.. just relax!! in the real world while on these meds you might find, like I have that rec/drug use will significantly go down, and be careful what you say to the doctor about it, or else! dont bring it up unless he/she does.. - good luck!

Old 01-09-2005, 09:48 AM   #7
    Sarah22
    (female)

Sarah22 HB User

My pdoc is aware. I was upfront and honest with her on a kind of 'off-the-record' but probably gone 'on-the-record' kind of way. After all, this is how I realised that I most likely had ADD and was why I used the white stuff (to function normally). I was using it to get my work done not to party!

I stopped as soon as I was diagnosed and was put on medication, even though I was tempted a bit cos the medication wasn't working. This is why I want to try Dexedrine as I think it could be more effective. I'm not in the habit of abusing meds, after all it would be a bit counter-productive as I just want to get better and get my work done!

I don't want to be stigmatised...

Old 01-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
    Anti Social
    Veteran
    (female)

Anti Social HB UserAnti Social HB UserAnti Social HB User

Hi..The way Doctors are today,you never know.There are alot of shady Drs out there that will prescribe anything to anyone.Take me for example-My DR knew I had a problem w/ alcohol and still prescribed me Ambien AND Adderall!

Thankfully,I didnt care to abuse either so I never devolped a problem.I am no longer on either of them.

Old 01-12-2005, 05:04 PM   #9
    Sarah22
    (female)

Sarah22 HB User

I have an appointment tomorrow with my pdoc. Fingers crossed I'll get the Dexedrine.....

Wish me luck!

P.S. Anyone know if I need to leave a gap between finishing Concerta and starting Dexedrine?

Sarah

Old 01-15-2005, 01:47 AM   #10
    adhdinme
    (male)

adhdinme HB User
    unlimited medication

there is a way to get as many as you want, but it cannot work from the UK. sorry sarah

Closed Thread