It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Coffee for 3 yr old?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2005, 12:48 PM   #1
    picksie
    (female)

picksie HB User
    Coffee for 3 yr old?

My parents are my "sitters" for my 3 year old son. He has always been a little, well, hyper but as he gets older there are times when he is just off the wall! He runs around and screams and hollers and can barely stay still sometimes. It gets unberable at times and he becomes very irritable and does not tolerate any kind of corrections or instructions to calm down - or direction to a more quiet task, even with myself or his dad.

So one day, upong picking him up after work, my Mom told me about something she had heard in the Dr's office - to give him a strong brewed cup of coffee and somehow, it has an equalizer effect and will help calm down a little bit. Now I avoid caffeine and sugars as often as I can with him because of how crazy he can act so the idea of giving him coffee seemed way out there... However, I agreed to it figuring it was worth a try. Mom gave him some the next morning and she said it worked, he was less hyper and more focused and calm. She has given him the coffee several mornings since, but not every one.

So I'm wondering, is this a new theory, unproven/proven, totally uncalled for, way out there...etc? Anyone ever heard of it? While I'm not sure that my son has ADD/ADHD, I do know that he is a little more unruly than you average little boy so anything to help curb that I would be willing to try within reason, of course. I just refuse to put him on medications - period.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
    comeonnow
    Veteran
    (female)

comeonnow HB User
    Re: Coffee for 3 yr old?

I think I can understand why the coffee would calm him down if he has ADD if it works the same as some medications do. I've been on Adderall, Dexadrine, and Ritalin at various times for my ADD. I can trouble understanding at first how a stimulant could possibly calm a person down; you'd think it would do the opposite. But as my psychologist pointed out, I don't have a normal brain; I have an ADD brain. Where my medications would give a person with a normal brain a high, they're used to calm down an ADD brain, which is very different than that of one of a person who doesn't have ADD. I hope I made sense.

Old 01-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #3
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

The theory that caffiene calms ADHD kids down has been around for some time. As far as I know, it hasn't been proven although many swear it is true.

I think it makes for an interesting test, but I wouldn't want to give a 3 year old the amount of caffiene that is in a cup of stong coffee regularly without okaying it with your pediatrician. Personally, I consider caffiene to be a pretty potent "drug" itself, even though it is freely available.

Old 01-09-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
    JustMeInID
    (female)

JustMeInID HB User

Over 30 years ago, I knew a couple who had a boy who was about 8. He'd been diagnosed with ADHD (maybe "hyperactive" at that time?), and the doctor suggested that he have a cup of coffee each morning before he went to school. The parents claimed that it worked for him.

I'm an adult with ADHD, and I've found that drinking coffee helps me concentrate. Maybe there IS something to it.

Old 01-09-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
    sawbuck44
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User

Yes, I've heard about this. My sister in law gave it to her son for this reason. I'm just curious though how can you get a three year old to like the taste?!!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by picksie
    My parents are my "sitters" for my 3 year old son. He has always been a little, well, hyper but as he gets older there are times when he is just off the wall! He runs around and screams and hollers and can barely stay still sometimes. It gets unberable at times and he becomes very irritable and does not tolerate any kind of corrections or instructions to calm down - or direction to a more quiet task, even with myself or his dad.

So one day, upong picking him up after work, my Mom told me about something she had heard in the Dr's office - to give him a strong brewed cup of coffee and somehow, it has an equalizer effect and will help calm down a little bit. Now I avoid caffeine and sugars as often as I can with him because of how crazy he can act so the idea of giving him coffee seemed way out there... However, I agreed to it figuring it was worth a try. Mom gave him some the next morning and she said it worked, he was less hyper and more focused and calm. She has given him the coffee several mornings since, but not every one.

So I'm wondering, is this a new theory, unproven/proven, totally uncalled for, way out there...etc? Anyone ever heard of it? While I'm not sure that my son has ADD/ADHD, I do know that he is a little more unruly than you average little boy so anything to help curb that I would be willing to try within reason, of course. I just refuse to put him on medications - period.
    It certainly isn't as harmful as strong medications and if she makes sure she doesn't overdo it, I don't see the harm but remember too much caffeine is bad for the heart. Maybe a cola would work better, it has way less caffeine than coffee. But colas can put on the weight, so again, careful!

My dad grew up drinking coffee at an early age and his health is good. I grew up with coca-cola which I still love but keep a limit on; I have great health at 47, no early menopause or other health problems. Moderation is fine with caffeine.

I'd try some cola, or if you don't like the idea of all that sugar, perhaps he would like some caffeinated tea?

Tea also has those beneficial antioxidants, especially the black teas and green teas...

My son and husband recentely got the flu, both were miserable. My daughter and I started to feel sick, we drank green tea everyday and we got better even before it started!

Last edited by Jennita; 01-10-2005 at 01:27 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 03:12 PM   #7
    picksie
    (female)

picksie HB User

Well, thanks everyone for your input. The way it counters the hyperactivity does make sense, even though it's a little strange!

My mom gives him a small cup, with some Splenda (she also avoids sugar at all costs with him as do I so soda gets the boot) and skim milk - possibly creamer but because she's diabetic, I would bet it is some special kind. Oddly enough, he loves the taste - even I hate coffee LOL!

And I do agree that caffeine, while deemed part of most everyone's daily life, is a powerful drug. I used to be addicted to Mountain Dew - the withdrawals you get from "going off" it are near unbearable. This is why it's not a daily thing but rather a when-necessary part of his morning routine. Some days, without it, he's almost unmanageable....!

Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 PM   #8
    Time2Heal
    (female)

Time2Heal HB User

my son is 15 and about 3 years ago-I gave him a cup of coffee thinking it would have a calming effect for his adhd. To my surprise-IT DID! He has probably only had 4-6 cups in those few years. But, if he is out of control and bouncing around he will say, " mom, can I please have a cup of coffee".
    Never hurts to try!
    Caytie

Old 01-12-2005, 01:45 PM   #9
    Tamyan
    (female)

Tamyan HB User
    Smile Re: Coffee for 3 yr old?

picksie,
    My 13 year old daughter has ADHD. When she's off her med's I'll fix her a strong cup of coffee or let her get a triple shot latte or espresso (she thinks that's cool) and it really does calm her down and help her focus. My husband was amazed with the difference it made when he took her out Christmas shopping. My daughter was born with ADHD, looking back all the signs were there. Hopefully you will be able to get a handle on things before he starts school. Good luck!
    Tamyan

Old 01-12-2005, 04:39 PM   #10
    mudhound
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

mudhound HB User

coffee for a 3 year old? WOW
    It could work?

Mudhound

Closed Thread