It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• I got the Dexedrine!!!! Hooray!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-13-2005, 04:02 PM   #1
    Sarah22
    (female)

Sarah22 HB User
    Talking I got the Dexedrine!!!! Hooray!

Hooray!

I got the Dex Rx!

My pdoc wasn't keen on prescribing me Dexedrine straight away, as the Concerta hadn't been so good for me, but I managed to get her to let me try it. I'm hoping I'll be able to tell quite quickly if it's benefitting me. (Will I?)

She was a bit edgy, as she knows that this month is particularly stressful for me - a whole tonne of coursework and a fat thesis due in on the 28th. I understand where she's coming from, i.e. she wants to try different meds when I'm less pressured and it's a not such a crucial time. But this is precisely why I'm desperate to sort this now!!!!

She didn't know the best way to get me from my current 36mg dose of Concerta on to the Dexedrine though. We've agreed that I will spend another week on Concerta at 18mg and then stop.
    She said it would be best to have a day's break with nothing before starting Dexedrine. I'm worried, cos one day last week I didn't take my Concerta and I felt like ####. Big time. (I can't afford to waste anymore time, every second is essential to me now this is my penultimate year).

BTW. my Dex dose is 5mg/am and 5mg/pm for 1wk, then 10mg/am and 10mg/pm for 3weeks

Anyone got any pearls of wisdom? Even plastic ones will do!!

Yours inexeperiencedly,
    Sarah x

(P.S. none of my 'pre-diagnosis self-medicating drug stuff' was brought into contention, so I needn't have worried.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2005, 10:55 AM   #2
    Sarah22
    (female)

Sarah22 HB User
    Re: I got the Dexedrine!!!! Hooray!

Ok, my questions weren't very clear in that, I guess I'm asking:

How smooth should I expect the transition from Concerta to Dexedrine to be?
    (I know it's prob different for different people but some general idea...)

Do I need a gap inbetween? Or can I stop Concerta one day and start Dex the next?

How long should it take before I start noticing any benefits?

My pdoc couldn't really answer any of these so your input would be really cool.
    I feel like I'm flailing round like a lunatic in the dark at the moment!

Sarah

Old 01-18-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User

good for you on going to dexedrine!! i have been taking it for about two years now and really works well
    now for the transition part..stimulants are not like antidepressants (long half-life) therefore going from one stimulant to another is no problem. you can stop the concerta and start on dexedrine the following day with no problems
    benefits should be seen fairly quickly (an hour for the time released ones and 30 minutes for the immediate release version)..but because the recommended dosages range from 5mg-60mg daily, you have to find the right dose that works for you..
    it took me about 2 months to find the right dosage that worked best, 50mg.
    good luck!!
    i think you will find the dexedrine to be a much more pleasant drug than concerta

Old 01-23-2005, 05:43 AM   #4
    Sarah22
    (female)

Sarah22 HB User
    Talking Re: I got the Dexedrine!!!! Hooray!

The Dexedrine's been working really well! I can't believe how different I feel from when I was on Concerta! I'm only on 10mg a day as yet and the only problem I've had so far is insomnia (which I can treat herbally).

I'm a little worried about the tolerance thing and forever having to increase the dose to maintain long-term effectiveness. I was wondering if the addition of Wellbutrin might slow this down and supplement the Dexedrine benefits in other ways.

Any thoughts?

Sarah x

Old 02-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
    ftlmatt

ftlmatt HB User

i was always jealous of those like you who have a lower tolerance to drugs than i do...my tolerance to ALL drugs is very high. not sure why
    tolerance to amphetamines is common but because the dosage ranges from 5mg-60mg daily...you still have a while to go LOL
    i am at 50mg now and have been for six months, however i have built a tolerance and ready to go to 60mg.
    i also take wellbutrin, 300mg daily immediate release version for my depression, but that would not slow down or eliminate the possibility of tolerance.
    as far as taking them together, for ME personally it works well because i also suffer from depression but when i added wellbutrin to the dexedrine...did not notice any increased/decreased effects

Closed Thread