It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Psychologist blames IQ for problems and Not ADHD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-17-2005, 02:23 PM   #1
    thefer
    Inactive

thefer HB User
    Psychologist blames IQ for problems and Not ADHD

Hi

Eight years ago, I was dx as having adhd/add and was placed on meds. I stopped meds cause I lost my insurance. I received accomindations at my Community college for the first two years. Then I transfered to my University to start my Junior year. As my classes became harder, problems got worse.

I started having problems at home with daily stuff with forgetting to do things. I couldn't focus in lectures, getting distracted and miss portions of my notes. I took exams in private rooms so I wouldn't get distracted. Studying at home last quarter proved to be a full time job. I would be up and down, unable to focus. I would sit down and start studying, then think about paying bills and I would go do that. It reached a point where I started using alcohol to sit down and focus.

My University requested that I get re-tested. So, I did that two months ago. But, since the shrink would take forever to get the results done. I opted to talk to my family dr who placed me on Dexedrine. I didn't want to go through another quarter like the last one. So, I started it 4 weeks ago and have seen huge improvements. I am focused in the lectures, can sit down at home to study and write papers and I am not yelling behind the wheel. The changes are amazing.

I got the results this week that determined that I am not ADHD. The shrink said that my problems are the result of my IQ score, which is around 86-90. He said that I should re-evaluate my career goals because it would be more harder for me to finish college if not impossible, since the average graduate has an average IQ of 115.

This doesn't make sense because if it is an IQ issue, then wouldn't I have problems with my grades even if i take them in a private room like getting C's, D's and F's on them. I went through last term taking test in a private room and got A's and B's on exams. I got a 3.8 gpa last quarter.

For a shrink to blame my problems on IQ is stupid. I won't accept it and I won't let someone tell me that I need to re-evaluate my career goals. I have made it to my 3rd year and still doing great on my grades. What would you do?

Thanks

Jennifer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
    JustMeInID
    (female)

JustMeInID HB User
    Re: Psychologist blames IQ for problems and Not ADHD

Hello, Jennifer. Rather than re-evaluating your career goals, you ought to re-evaluate your shrink! Sounds like you're doing perfectly well! Your family doctor surely did a thorough checkup and had decided that you had ADHD, or he/she wouldn't have put you on dexedrine.

Will the psychiatrist be sending your results to the university? (Can they even do that without your permission?) Why did the school request that you be retested? Because of the accommodations for test taking, etc.?

Old 01-18-2005, 07:41 AM   #3
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Being able to write does not mean a person must have an average IQ. Donna Williams (autistic author) has an IQ of around 70 and you can't exactly accuse her of being unable to express herself well!

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 01-18-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
    thefer
    Inactive

thefer HB User

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your help in this. I had an appt today with my family dr to check the doses on my dexedrine. I told her that the testing showed my IQ to be a problem and not adhd. She said if i didn't take meds beforehand, then it would explain the low IQ. She even noticed a difference today. She said I was much more calmer and not up and down like I was on my previous visits. Apparently, I have also lost some more weight. Not a concern yet.

So the plan is to stay on dexedrine, but I am switching over to a time-release. So I won't have to worry about having periods where the dexedrine is wearing off. She also said that she will write a letter to the University if there is problems.

Jennifer

Old 01-19-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
    MTS
    (male)

MTS HB User

I was diagnosed with ADD while scoring 115 on the IQ test which was part of the diagnostic process.

However, when I was 12 years old I scored 155 on a school's IQ test. I had more problems with ADD and academics when I was 12 than I do now, however.

As you can see, IQ means very little.

My mother, a college graduate, has an IQ of 160, and most of the time, this truly amazes me

There are people with low IQs yet with great memory (and sure, discipline) who can graduate from University while they couldn't understand something seamingly tivial, for example.

So don't beat yourself up. If you believe you can do it, then you most likely can. People that truly have limited intelligence stand out from the crowd because of characteristics that overly indicate their disability. Mainly, they lack scolastic ambitions, and interests in science or other intelectual areas.
    They feel more comforteable in areas that require very little intelectual skills. You couldn't get them to work on a degree if you threw sticks at them - they just don't find it interesting.
    If you like studying, and have ambitions of graduating, then you're most likely *not* someone with limited intelligence. There is another factor causing the problems you are having. Perhaps ADD, or perhaps something else (it shouldn't always be ADD). But it's not 'being dumb'.

It's imperative that you find out what's realy wrong with you however, and try to fix it before you get discouraged and frustrated.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

If you are getting A's and B's then I would call that advice(about reconsidering your career goals) a bunch of hogwash. What difference does it make what your IQ is if you are able to do the work and succeed which it sounds like you are with the help of the dexadrine? Go for it. I have heard too many stories, including one about a cousin of mine who ended up graduating from Harvard who was told as a child that he would never make it to college based on an IQ test.
    There are several different types of IQ tests and they are also up to interpretation. My daughter scored well below normal on one IQ test(around 70), but she scored so high she was off the scale on a different one so the psychologist agreed to put her in the gifted program. She ended up taking and passing 6 AP classes in high school and is now in one of the most demanding colleges in the nation. If your IQ score makes a difference to you, I would recommend being retested by a professional. Otherwise, trust your grades in school.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:18 PM   #7
    BetsyAnn
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BetsyAnn HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redhead23
    Being able to write does not mean a person must have an average IQ. Donna Williams (autistic author) has an IQ of around 70 and you can't exactly accuse her of being unable to express herself well!
    Redhead, I was not familiar with Donna Williams. Since reading your post I have looked her up. She is quite interesting. I am very glad you mentioned her.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #8
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

Just a quick drive-by post...I had a daughter tested for IQ for school rwhen we moved to a place with over-crowded schools.
    I had the opportunity to listen. from the waiting room while he administered the test. Wow, what an eye, er, uh, ear opener!
    Totally subjective.
    She was asked questions whose answers she would have only known if she had been taught those things in school.
    Some schools teach different things--especially if they aren't for kids with normal to above-normal IQs.
    Fortunately, she passed on her large vocabulary (2 sisters 5-10 years older and mother who just finished a college degree), and was able to get into a Gifted & Talented program in a normal school and out of a school for kids who were behind developmentally.

Old 02-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #9
    lateeth
    Veteran

lateeth HB User

Schoolsyk, i am interested to learn how NV will determine ability for "enriched" or advanced study. I think my children would be way behind had they not tested into the gifted programs at their schools. They were both up to and needed the challenge of these programs. In a large inner city setting, unfortunately if you are in a "regular" class, there is so much non academic learning going on it is difficult for the teacher to have time to address the needs of the quicker learners. With 30-45 in a classroom, all with different needs, only the best teachers seem to be able to do this.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:27 AM   #10
    skools
    (female)

skools HB User

Hello! Not sure what state you're in, but in NV (and most other states) the gifted and talented program (or GATE, as it's know here) is not funded by special education{REMOVED} Currently in NV, children are not eligible for GATE until 3rd grade (probably has to do with lack of state funding!). For the "regular" GATE program, I know the kids are still given IQ tests (they contract out to psychologists to do this)....then there is the HIGHLY gifted and talented program (IQ's over 140 or something like that). Personally, I think giftedness should be identified just as disability is identified....children who are gifted also need "intervention".....if the gen. ed. teacher is unable to meet the gifted child's needs through intervention (enrichment, acceleration etc.), then the child should be eligible for GATE. How do they do it where you live?

Last edited by msmod; 02-04-2005 at 04:40 PM.

Closed Thread