It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Extreme Rage from Zoloft,

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2005, 10:21 PM   #1
    mohouse
    (male)

mohouse HB User
    Extreme Rage from Zoloft,

Can someone explain to me what is happening to me. i am being treated for Post tramatic stress disorer. I have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD since i was a kid but never took meds for it.

Doc gave me 25mg a day of Zoloft and it is making my ADHD worse. SHe gave it to me for my PTSD depression and anxiety. My anxiety has turned into outright hatred, rage, outbursts. I cant stop moving my legs. I have to stand up and jump. I have only been on them for 3 days and stop taking them since two days and I am still agressive. i curled up into a ball while constricting all the muscles in my neck and back and legs. I yell at my wife for no reason. i hate everything. i hate everything. I am crazy now. i am litterally crazy as the social norm would consider crazy. its bee two days and im still messed up. I work night shift bymyself and can not see my dr. till i have an off day. by the time i wake up when i do sleep its too late to call my dr. i will see my dr. thursday but can anyone tell me what is wrong with me. Do SSRIs adverse effect people with ADD/ADHD? its made me into an insane hyperactive mo-fo! I am 30 years old and think i am going to die. I know i will be fine because this is just the affects of the zoloft.

does anyone know what i should be taking for ptsd if one has adhd. I think the SSRI zoloft has made the part of my brain that causes my hyperactivity more overactive to the point of insanity. i have so many questions, i dont know the right one to ask so if you have any feedback please tell me. ANy stories similir to mine and how they were fixed would help. mY dr. didnt seem to care i had adhd or give me enough questions to find out w hat woudl the best treatment be i dont think.

thank you ,

mohouse

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2005, 12:26 AM   #2
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User
    Re: Extreme Rage from Zoloft,

Mohouse,

It sounds very much like the Zoloft has flipped you into a manic state. Bear in mind that many people experience mania not as euphoria, but as extreme irritability and agitation. Talk to your doctor ASAP!

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2005, 05:15 AM   #3
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

I totally agree with index.You also need to stop that med asap.My son had a very similar reaction to all the ssris we tried.But his reaction built up over time.In the end(after a year from absolute hell)my son was dxed with bi polar III.This was completely and totally caused by the ssris he had been taking.some people will react this way to any type of anti ds,even the tricyclics.You need to talk to your doc today and get off of the zoloft.under no cicumstances would i ever go on any other ones either if I were you.You really seem to have a very very oversensitive type of reaction to these types of meds.I really doubt that trying another one would really be in your best interest as the likelyhood of the same thing happening is pretty high.The fact that you reacted to this so quickly would indicate to me that it is not something that your body is going to like or tolerate.Do some research on bi polar III.I really do feel that this would be where you would end up if you continue with this particular type of meds.Its scarey.my son would go into these rages from hell while on this crap.He was a very caring nice kid with a fantastic sense of humor.These meds turned him into someone I did not know.His last manic type episode last March resulted in having an episode right out of COPS in our livingroom.Please see your doc today.You should be able to just stop the zoloft without having any major wd symptoms as luckily, you were not on this very long.Be very wary if your doc wants you to try another one of these ssris.ask him to do some research on bi polar III and then discuss this with you.we have absolutely no hx oneither side of our family of ANY type of mental health disorder.My sons bi polar was totally created by the use of the ssris.The really strange thing here is that my son has such a huge sesitivity to these meds but I am taking 20 mgs of Lexapro daily and have been for almost two years,and i have had no problems what so ever.good luck to you,I hope things will work out for you.Marcia

Old 01-19-2005, 09:35 AM   #4
    Vintage Wine
    (female)

Vintage Wine HB User

Zoloft did that to me, too. I was so ANGRY the entire time I was taking it. It totally caused a major inability to focus, concentrate, breathe....ewwww! The thought of it makes me shudder.

I would scream at rude customers, cuss them out on the phone, etc. I wasn't out of control, per se....just VERY agitated.

I got off of it ASAP.

Old 01-19-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
    Asperger family
    (female)

Asperger family HB User

Zoloft did fine for me but it made my sister crazy as hell, literally. It affects some people like that, stop using it asap and call your doctor.

Old 01-20-2005, 03:31 AM   #6
    rachelmc
    (male)

rachelmc HB User

hi,
    i have never posted on this board before, I have 2 sons that are adhd, my eldest who is 11 is on zoloft and has been scince june 2003, we have trialed him off them but he reverts back to the way he was before starting them.
    what im concerned about are long term effects of them any responses greatly appreciated
    thanks rachel

Old 01-20-2005, 04:22 AM   #7
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Just curious here rachel.what is that behavior(before the zoloft)like?I am also rather suprised that a child of 11 is on Zoloft as the only SSRI that I know of that has been approved for use in children is prozac and no others.Marcia

Old 01-20-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
    rachelmc
    (male)

rachelmc HB User

hi marcia,
    i had been in hospital for major surgery, when i got home my son was in a terrible state (very depressed, afraid i would die or never be able to walk agian, could not go to sleep as he would have nightmares and would not let me out of his sight. he would not socalise with anyone and would withdraw into himself)
    We tried counseling and everything else before putting him on zoloft i was really afraid of what he might do to himself in the future if he wasnt treated earlier ( i have 2 brothers that suffer from manic deppresion, shciziphenia and bi polar and one of them has tried to suicide)
    Before i hurt myself and had the ops my son was a noraml little boy with adhd that was on dexamphtimes and that controled it however the change in him was unbelievable and now on zoloft he is like he was
    I dont want him on these foreva but dont know a solution.
    maybe the laws and such are different here in australia, where are you from?
    thanks rachel

Old 01-21-2005, 04:55 AM   #9
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Considering the strong family history of mental health conditions,your son is kind of at a much higher risk of developing some type of mental health problem.Has he ever really been evaluated by a pshyc doc?there is many many different types of testing that can be done to determine what is causing his problems.It took a fifteen day stay at a really good mental health facility for adolescents to finally get to the bottom of my sons problem.sometimes,the meds that someone is on(very highly likely when they are taking any type of SSRIs)can trigger bi polar type episodes(this was my sons problem)and other mental health conditions.he really needs a little more in depth type testing to try and determine the "real" problem.By the way, i live in the US.I hope you can find the cause of your sons problem.Marcia

Old 01-22-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mohouse
    Can someone explain to me what is happening to me. i am being treated for Post tramatic stress disorer. I have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD since i was a kid but never took meds for it.

Doc gave me 25mg a day of Zoloft and it is making my ADHD worse. SHe gave it to me for my PTSD depression and anxiety. My anxiety has turned into outright hatred, rage, outbursts. I cant stop moving my legs. I have to stand up and jump. I have only been on them for 3 days and stop taking them since two days and I am still agressive. i curled up into a ball while constricting all the muscles in my neck and back and legs. I yell at my wife for no reason. i hate everything. i hate everything. I am crazy now. i am litterally crazy as the social norm would consider crazy. its bee two days and im still messed up. I work night shift bymyself and can not see my dr. till i have an off day. by the time i wake up when i do sleep its too late to call my dr. i will see my dr. thursday but can anyone tell me what is wrong with me. Do SSRIs adverse effect people with ADD/ADHD? its made me into an insane hyperactive mo-fo! I am 30 years old and think i am going to die. I know i will be fine because this is just the affects of the zoloft.

does anyone know what i should be taking for ptsd if one has adhd. I think the SSRI zoloft has made the part of my brain that causes my hyperactivity more overactive to the point of insanity. i have so many questions, i dont know the right one to ask so if you have any feedback please tell me. ANy stories similir to mine and how they were fixed would help. mY dr. didnt seem to care i had adhd or give me enough questions to find out w hat woudl the best treatment be i dont think.

thank you ,

mohouse
    Yep, sounds like a bit of mania. And a bit of akathisia, a neurological driven mania/aggitation common with SSRi's, SSNRI's and neuroleptic meds that can cause suicide and self harm.

There is also a reaction called Dystonia, severe body movements, I don't know if the ball-curling-tightening up muscle thing is exactly that but it sounds suspicious. A doctor might know the exact signs.

Look, serotonin is actually an excitatory neurotransmitter and a powerful vasoconstrictor.

As far as fearing a bi-polar diagnosis, IMHO people who react in a manic way to SSRi's are simply just more sensitive to the drugs.

Many people are sensitive to drugs, foods, alcohol, etc. Drugs also have many unknown mechanisms and actions, thus things like paradoxial reactions and tolerance building.

Not everyone reacts the same way to everything. My husband gets sick on tomato sauce and I don't. Neither one of us have stomach problems otherwise, but that sauce gets him good sometimes!! It's hard to resist it, it's so good on pasta.

I know a few people who became manic on SSRi's like Zoloft and then when they tapered off the drug, the mania disappeared and didn't come back....this was without the aid of any drugs used for bi-polar. I think sometimes it's easier for doctors to blame an unknown, or supposedly hidden previous condition than say the drug is to blame or can cause severe side effects. Bi-polar, ADD, etc are still theorectical in the biological sense. Intil they can test your brain chemicals for levels and actually know the proper levels, it remains theory as far as a biological cause/solution goes.

So, IMHO, I think the drug is causing your problem. I wouldn't buy into any other mental illness; that will mean more drugs for you and perhaps other reactions. I would wean off the Zoloft slowly....

Last edited by Jennita; 01-22-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Old 01-31-2005, 06:08 AM   #11
    sweetheartsok
    (female)

sweetheartsok HB User

Hi

I just wanted to let you know that I had extreme rage on Celexa but I am now on Effexor and don't have the rage but it does cause me alot of anxiety. Now I am just diagnosing myself as ADD after 37 years of thinking that I am crazy. My brain never seems to be quiet and in overdrive all the time but yet my body is exhausted from all this mental activity. Doctor put me on antidepressants due to depression that I believe was caused by ADD.

After all this I do not believe that in my case, not sure about others, that SSRI's are good for me. If anything they have made me alot worse. I hope this help and that you are now off Zoloft.

Closed Thread