It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Second day on adderall xr went to er with high bp and heartrate

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-24-2005, 10:18 PM   #1
    A2K511
    (male)

A2K511 HB User
    Second day on adderall xr went to er with high bp and heartrate

I have adhd and high anxiety. I just started taking adderall xr 15mg and the first day was great, I felt like a new person. Just to be safe I checked my blood pressure at the grocery store and it was 139 and heartrate was 73. The second day I took the pill I felt good in the morning but around 12-1pm I started to feel really wired and started to feel a fast heartbeat. I went to the walgreens and picked up a blood pressure monitor and the blood pressure was around 150-160 and heartrate was 95. I went into a panic and went to the grocery store to check my bp and it was 169 with a heartrate of 115. I was thinking this was a bad reaction to the med so I went to the er. When I got to the ER the bp was 170 and heartrate was 137. They did a cardio test and it was ok. They gave me
    2 xanax and the bp came down to 138 and hearrate to around 90. The er doctor
    told me that the high bp and heartrate was consistent with the affects of the adderall and I should discontinue use and call my doctor. When I got home at around 5 I checked my bp was around 130 and heartrate at 73. The discharge papers said that a significant amount of the symtoms were cased by anxiety. I asked my doctor today if anxiety could make your bp and heartrate go that high and he told me not likely. My doctor gave me script for 5mg adderall xr and told me to start it tomorrow. Today when I picked up the prescription I asked about food interactions and they told me that anything with high sodium can intesify the effect of the adderall and cause a high bp or heartrate. Was this incident most likely a panic attack or could I have ate something that caused the bad reaction? Has anyone had similar problems when starting the adderall? I am real nervous about taking the 5mg xr but feel terrible off of the adderall.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
    mikilyn
    (female)

mikilyn HB User
    Re: Second day on adderall xr went to er with high bp and heartrate

Did the ER doctors rule out the possibly that you may have had a panic attack? That's what your symptoms sound like. What do you take for the high anxiety? Adderall is a stimulant and if you are experiencing high anxiety, adding a stimulant may not be your best choice.
    Good Luck to you,
    Michelle

Old 01-31-2005, 09:24 AM   #3
    uptown22

uptown22 HB User

It does sound like you had a panic attack which was worsened by the fact that you were checking your bp. and sorry to say this but your doctor is wrong-anxiety and panic and stress DOES make your heart beat faster-and raises your blood pressure. When you're scared, doesnt your heart start beating faster? when you first start on the stimulant, it usually makes your heart rate and bp higher this usually goes away after a few days and if it makes you nausea then eat a piece of chocolate or gingersnaps ..it will go away in a minuite. if the XR 5mg is still giving you that effect, then I would stop and ask about other medicines (provigil, imiprimine, etc)

Old 01-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #4
    seriousperson
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

seriousperson HB Userseriousperson HB User

I just started Adderall xr too, 2 weeks ago, and had a similar reaction (minus the ER visit--been there, done that, felt sheepish ).
    But I was started on just 5mg. Of course, I'm a very small-framed person who is generally hyper-sensitive to medications.
    Eventually the shaking went away.
    When I was told I had to take more, and was prescribed 10mg., I waited until Saturday when I wasn't working--my job has a high level of interaction with people. I was very glad I did wait, too. Today was the following Monday, and though I'm still not "normal," it's already starting to tone down a bit.

And I think I'm being a bit less scattered. Or at least noticing when I do it. The problem is that I'm also OCD, so I find myself randomly focusing on one thing--like computer coding--when there are other things that I should be doing. I've noticed, for instance, that my rent and bills almost became overdue--which is atypical for me.

Old 02-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #5
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by A2K511
    I have adhd and high anxiety. I just started taking adderall xr 15mg and the first day was great, I felt like a new person. Just to be safe I checked my blood pressure at the grocery store and it was 139 and heartrate was 73. The second day I took the pill I felt good in the morning but around 12-1pm I started to feel really wired and started to feel a fast heartbeat. I went to the walgreens and picked up a blood pressure monitor and the blood pressure was around 150-160 and heartrate was 95. I went into a panic and went to the grocery store to check my bp and it was 169 with a heartrate of 115. I was thinking this was a bad reaction to the med so I went to the er. When I got to the ER the bp was 170 and heartrate was 137. They did a cardio test and it was ok. They gave me
    2 xanax and the bp came down to 138 and hearrate to around 90. The er doctor
    told me that the high bp and heartrate was consistent with the affects of the adderall and I should discontinue use and call my doctor. When I got home at around 5 I checked my bp was around 130 and heartrate at 73. The discharge papers said that a significant amount of the symtoms were cased by anxiety. I asked my doctor today if anxiety could make your bp and heartrate go that high and he told me not likely. My doctor gave me script for 5mg adderall xr and told me to start it tomorrow. Today when I picked up the prescription I asked about food interactions and they told me that anything with high sodium can intesify the effect of the adderall and cause a high bp or heartrate. Was this incident most likely a panic attack or could I have ate something that caused the bad reaction? Has anyone had similar problems when starting the adderall? I am real nervous about taking the 5mg xr but feel terrible off of the adderall.
    This is typical of stimulants. Perhaps you can get by on a smaller dose; however, tolerance to these meds happens after awhile so the small dose may not be enough someday; tolerance can also cause withdrawal like symptoms even while still on the med if it is not raised. I know ADD is hard but someday you may have to choose between good vascular/cardio health and taking the meds. Anyway, you could just try the 5 mgs. and see or not, it's up to you hopefully either way things will get better..

Old 02-02-2005, 08:34 AM   #6
    malibubarbie999
    (female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
    Arrow Re: Second day on adderall xr went to er with high bp and heartrate

What you experienced are classic panic attack symptoms. I highly doubt the Adderall had anything to do with your alarmingly heightened blood pressure. Seeing that you have anxiety, stimulants are probably not your best option for ADD treatment. Stimulants may actually exacerbate anxiety symptoms, making them harder to deal with. If you are dead-set on controlling the ADD with meds, talk to your doctor about trying a non-stim med such as Strattera. While Adderall may be controlling your ADD, it is obviously making your anxiety worse.

Pharmaceutical stimulants (like Adderall) have a very slight concentration of amphetamine compared to "street speed" and therefore they usually have little impact on the blood pressure of a healthy person. Personally, I have not noticed any extreme fluctuations in my blood pressure since I started taking Adderall. In fact, at times my blood pressure was even considered low. The likely cause of your soaring blood pressure is anxiety. The fact that it continued to rise as you became more & more worried points toward a typical panic attack. The Adderall may be to blame for the excessive worry/panic you experienced but it is probably not the actual cause of those symptoms.

I'd suggest stopping the Adderall unless of course you enjoy feeling anxious and panicked all the time. Try a non-stim med or even an herbal remedy.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:53 AM   #7
    blurayne

blurayne HB User

Hi, I just wanted to add, I also went through the bad panic attack stage. It passed for me. After about 1-2 weeks, the anxiety went away. My doctor prescribed me a low dose of valume to take everyday until I got use to the effects and it worked great! Now I don't even need it and the adderall seems to mellow me out if anything. Maybe your doctor would be willing to try this since the xanax worked so well for you. I believe it's an adjustment and I am glad I hung in there because now the benefits of adderall outweigh the anxiety i had for just a few weeks. As I said, it helped having the valume for that short period of adjustment time. lisa

Closed Thread