It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Caffine and ADD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #31
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User
    Re: Caffine and ADD

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Rich
    I agree, psychiatry is a way to make money for the most part.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    ...but for the most part, they are just there to dispense drugs and make the 200 bucks or whatever they get these days.
    I don't believe these statements any more than I believe that all blondes are bimbos, all divorcees are loose women, or that one race is superior to another! I don't believe that you can generalize about people like that!

The vast majority of psychiatrists that I have met chose their profession because either they themselves or someone in their family was affected by mental illness. They wanted to find a way to understand and to help. Another significant number couldn't handle the hours of some of the other specialities, like OB for instance.

While the money isn't bad in psychiatry, surgeons make ALOT more. If they were in it for the money, they should have been surgeons.

Last edited by index.html; 03-04-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #32
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by index.html
    I don't believe these statements any more than I believe that all blondes are spacey, all divorcees are loose, or that one race is superior to another! I don't believe that you can generalize about people like that!

The vast majority of psychiatrists that I have met chose their profession because either they themselves or someone in their family was affected by mental illness. They wanted to find a way to understand and to help. Another significant number couldn't handle the hours of some of the other specialities, like OB for instance.

While the money isn't bad in psychiatry, surgeons make ALOT more. If they were in it for the money, they should have been surgeons.
    Isn't surgery a bit more messy/labor intensive way to make a living? Actually, surgerons are far more valuable in my own opinion....and you know, there are very few people cut out for it. Doubt some psychiatrists could handle it. They probably were the squemish types in med school.

If surgeons want to make more money, maybe they should start their own business, or become astronauts or even movie stars!!!

I don't know, what's the point here?

I think(my opinion) it is that psychiatry itself has become something different than in the past.....more greedy and fused with the ideas of drug co's of easy money in a prescription pad. The industry as a whole finds and invents biological disease everyday when most times there is none. If, as stated in the commercial for Zoloft, social anxiety disorder is a "serious medical condition", then I'm Tinkerbell.

Last edited by Jennita; 03-04-2005 at 11:08 AM.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:43 PM   #33
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Oh, never mind.

Last edited by index.html; 03-04-2005 at 02:44 PM.

Old 03-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #34
    pakemuumama
    (female)

pakemuumama HB User

Quote:
    And I know that I absolutely CANNOT function without my coffee. I drink it strong, black, all day long. If I don't, my brain fog is horrendous.

Blue, my brain fog went away COMPLETELY when I found out that I was allergic to gluten (contained in wheat, oats, barley and rye) and cut it out of my diet, along with sugar. Further, every time I go back to the sugar it causes an energy coma shortly after the effects wear off. My functioning is even clearer with a whole foods diet that includes lots of raw or undercooked vegetables and fruits, less meat and more whole grains, and lots of water.

Katie

Old 03-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #35
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pakemuumama
    Blue, my brain fog went away COMPLETELY when I found out that I was allergic to gluten (contained in wheat, oats, barley and rye) and cut it out of my diet, along with sugar.

Katie
    Katie,

I had to laugh (at myself -- not you). I was about to congratulate you on finding a diet that works to clear your brain fog, and wistfully say that I too am on a gluten-free diet but it doesn't seem to be doing anything for my brain fog. Then I remembered -- I've been in menopause for 16 years or so (prolonged by various levels of hormone replacement therapy), and I discovered the problems with gluten only in the last 7 years or so. Soooo any ADD benefits of being gluten-free are being canceled out by the brain fog induced by hormones in transition! (I also spend a lot of time on the Menopause board!)

At any rate, I'm glad your diet is working -- it gives me hope.

--Rheanna

Last edited by rheanna; 03-04-2005 at 11:27 PM.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:57 AM   #36
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Oh, never mind.
    Ahhh, now you are making me feel like the wicked witch of the west when I really wanted to be Tinkerbell

Old 03-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #37
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    ...like the wicked witch...
    Your words, not mine!

Seriously, Jennita, this is what I don't get. You've been very open about the problems you had with Ativan. I don't understand why you don't spend more time on the anxiety and panic boards warning about the addiction potential of the benzodiazepenes and, instead, focus your energies crusading against ADD and depression. I know, you're protecting the poor, innocent children. But, why depression? Why is that such a crusade for you?

Old 03-05-2005, 02:29 PM   #38
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Your words, not mine!

Seriously, Jennita, this is what I don't get. You've been very open about the problems you had with Ativan. I don't understand why you don't spend more time on the anxiety and panic boards warning about the addiction potential of the benzodiazepenes and, instead, focus your energies crusading against ADD and depression. I know, you're protecting the poor, innocent children. But, why depression? Why is that such a crusade for you?
    Well, as a result of my problem I became very interested in the effects of other psychoactive drugs, such as benzos, AD's, stimualants and antipsychotics. I do hang on the other boards, I tend to shift back and forth and sometimes leave a board for quite some time and then may come back later.

I do enjoy some of the other boards like the Fitness, vitamin and alternative boards too although I do not post as much there because I havent' read up as much on those issues so I just read and learn. It's very helpful and I like the information.

I think also some of it here is because my nephew was diagnoised ADHD and for awhile he was on the drugs, so I started hanging around here more.

He's ok, doing good, but off the drugs due to his parents did not like the adverse effects, although mild compared to some, they did not choose to continue.

Now a year and a half later, he is actually doing very well in school, can play the violin, skateboards and now is interested in learning guitar. He still tends to hype up slightly at times, but it seems he has matured now to actually act quite normal. Even my daughter has noticed his higher maturity level now, as she used to wonder if he'd ever stop being a "spaz" (her terminology not mine).

I think he was just a bit behind in maturing, alot of kids mature faster than others. His was slower, but it happened. Can those smaller brains can still grow larger in time, just as feet and height I wonder.

I really believe it's not how fast you get there, but it's getting there that really counts in the end.

Old 03-06-2005, 12:50 AM   #39
    pakemuumama
    (female)

pakemuumama HB User

Rheanna-

I just wanted to make sure you understand that I only mean that the diet has cleared up the general fog/spaciness in my physical person that I have had as far back as I can remember. It did not clear up the fog that comes from spending too much time on the computer, letting my mind get into a passive unfocused state. I differentiate between the two, and what has helped for the latter over a long period of practice has been meditation and experiments with and practice in awareness.

I wish to make a further distinction between the foginess/spaciness and the confusion/lateness/forgetfulness arising from disorganization. This is a yet entirely separate and different thing.

What I have found that helps here is the Julia Morgenstern approach (her book is 'Organizing From the Inside Out') of first completely disassembling and reorganizing your space and weeding yourself of what is not needed, and relentlessly following a program of keeping things organized. I had a freind come over to my place on three occasions to help me approach this, and then even made a physical move to a new apartment, giving me the opportunity to further weed out my stuff and organize into a completely new space. I keep on top of the organizing every day, and it has REALLY helped. I no longer have to waste energy on procrastination (for the most part--some tasks still hang me up a bit like paying bills and my design work. I am working on finding solutions for those), and my mind is clear because I don't have to be reminded of unfinished tasks, misplaced items, etc. Keeping a schedule and a daily list with prioritizations helps further, with alterations to these made for the visual mind, like color coding and the whole month on one page, etc. Therefore I can actually do something, anything, rather than sit and stew in my own juices and waste yet more energy and fog out. (Morgenstern's other book, 'Time Management from the Inside Out' has some great suggestions for this, too.)

It took a lot of experimentation and effort to find out what works for me, and I am still working on some aspects, but it was so worth it, and sure beats having to take speed!

Old 03-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #40
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Rheanna-

I just wanted to make sure you understand that I only mean that the diet has cleared up the general fog/spaciness in my physical person that I have had as far back as I can remember. It did not clear up the fog that comes from spending too much time on the computer, letting my mind get into a passive unfocused state. I differentiate between the two, and what has helped for the latter over a long period of practice has been meditation and experiments with and practice in awareness.

I wish to make a further distinction between the foginess/spaciness and the confusion/lateness/forgetfulness arising from disorganization. This is a yet entirely separate and different thing.

What I have found that helps here is the Julia Morgenstern approach (her book is 'Organizing From the Inside Out') of first completely disassembling and reorganizing your space and weeding yourself of what is not needed, and relentlessly following a program of keeping things organized. I had a freind come over to my place on three occasions to help me approach this, and then even made a physical move to a new apartment, giving me the opportunity to further weed out my stuff and organize into a completely new space. I keep on top of the organizing every day, and it has REALLY helped. I no longer have to waste energy on procrastination (for the most part--some tasks still hang me up a bit like paying bills and my design work. I am working on finding solutions for those), and my mind is clear because I don't have to be reminded of unfinished tasks, misplaced items, etc. Keeping a schedule and a daily list with prioritizations helps further, with alterations to these made for the visual mind, like color coding and the whole month on one page, etc. Therefore I can actually do something, anything, rather than sit and stew in my own juices and waste yet more energy and fog out. (Morgenstern's other book, 'Time Management from the Inside Out' has some great suggestions for this, too.)

It took a lot of experimentation and effort to find out what works for me, and I am still working on some aspects, but it was so worth it, and sure beats having to take speed!
    Katie,

I can appreciate that the first step in trying to bring some order into one's life is to differentiate among various types of brain fog. Different causes would respond to different methods. I'll think about how that applies to me over the next few days.

As for bringing order out of chaos in the physical space, I've got (relative) order in some areas but not in others. My kitchen may often look like a mess, but i've got places for things so I CAN clean up when I get tired of looking at it. When we moved to this apartment, we had to put in our own kitchen, so I thought carefully about what I would need. My husband said we may as well bite the bullet and pay for a decent one, because he was tired of listening to me complain about ALL the crappy rental kitchens I've ever had to work in!

My primary chaos at the moment is my art studio. I like your idea of asking someone who's not emotionally involved to come in and help to organize. It overwhelms me and makes me catatonic to think about going in there to paint -- but that's really what I want to do. I'll look into Julia Morgenstern's books and think about who might be able to help. I have seen ads here for folks who do that for a living. It may come to that!

Thanks for the ideas. This ain't gonna change overnight!

--Rheanna

Old 03-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #41
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Hey, index, I must also say I'm sorry if I come on too strong in these and other posts we've been in. I will admit, going thru protracted benzo withdrawal left me with alot of anger.

Then when I became interested in reading about other classes of psychoactive drugs, I got even more angry when discovering all the side effects and also personal stories out there. One time I read about a girl who started out with mild depression and by the time doctors got done with her, she was in a wheelchair due to Tardive Dyskinesia from the meds they eventually had to give her when her tolerance worsened. It was so sad to hear of a young girl becoming a cripple like that over something that could have been prevented and found myself crying for her loss. Of course, that just ended up making me even more angry.

My husband fears someday we'll befriend or meet someone in the psychiatric business and I'll just go postal on him. Well, comeon, I still have some restraint left I hope. Besides, I know there are good people in every profession. So I reassure my husband I won't embarrass him someday in public if that ever happens.

Guess I need to get a grip on that anger thing or perhaps nobody will listen to me, eh? I'm telling you though, its not easy.....my life was almost ruined and I am of Italian/Irish decent, so maybe that's why I hold a grudge???

Old 03-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #42
    Zenfish
    (male)

Zenfish HB User

I'm a 200 lb guy with ADD, 46 years old. Even the mild amount of caffeine in tea fogs up my brain. Makes me confused and depressed. It constricts the capilliaries, and a good 30% of a person's blood flow and oxygen is needed for the brain. My ADD is caused by inactivity of the cerebral cortex, the control center. Cut oxygen off to that and my inactivity gets worse. Caffeine for me is real bad.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:09 PM   #43
    Blue102

Blue102 HB User

Quote:
    Blue, my brain fog went away COMPLETELY when I found out that I was allergic to gluten (contained in wheat, oats, barley and rye) and cut it out of my diet, along with sugar. Katie
    Thanks for the suggestion--I've read some stuff about that on here, and I'm curious. Some day I'll experiment with that. Seems like the diet would take some planning though.

Random comment, loosely related to thread: 12:00 a.m. Monday, Blue had a cup of coffee on top of her Adderall before bed, up and surfing the net.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 AM   #44
    Zenfish
    (male)

Zenfish HB User

Pakemumama,
    I too have wheat gluten intolerance, and 43 years of the exposure got me deep into ADD. I'm much better off having discovered that this is my ailment, and having gone on complete gluten-free diet. ADD is just one of a couple dozen symptoms I've had over the years. To anyone wondering, check out celiac disease websites and see how many symptoms you have.

Old 03-12-2005, 07:22 AM   #45
    goddessgrl65
    Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hi-
    Ive been selfmedicating add-w/ caffiene-w/o coffee-im am totally non-functioning..cant form a sentance..straight from bed to coffee maker and then its one cup after another till 4/5 in the afternoon-.I am interested in starting low doses of stimulant meds(adderall)-5/10 mgs.
    I did take adderall for about 6 months..5 years ago-and i really pulled my life together..started my own business/more social-organised.
    Has anyone used low dose adderall for a period of time-w/o having to increase dosage?
    Im concerned about addiction to the med.
    thanks..ggrl

Closed Thread