It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Parents of add teens on Strattera

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #1
    shades.of.blue
    (female)

shades.of.blue HB User
    Parents of add teens on Strattera

Hi, I'm a 16 year old that was diagnosed with add about a year ago. I've been on strattera for the whole time and have had every side effect in the book, but now I'm fine andI love it. If anyone has any questions about strattera experiences, I wouldbe happy to help.
    -Brittany

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #2
    momsbrandi
    (female)

momsbrandi HB User
    Re: Parents of add teens on Strattera

Brittany, my daughter was placed on Straterra and has been on it a little over 2 weeks now. First side effect was while at school she said she was sitting at her desk and just all of a sudden felt like crying. Few days later she says that she has headache and stomach after she eats lunch. Can you relate? How long did it take for these side effects to get a little easier? Did you have trouble being emotional at the beginning? Any information would be a blessing, mb

Last edited by momsbrandi; 02-16-2005 at 04:47 PM.

Old 02-16-2005, 05:54 PM   #3
    shades.of.blue
    (female)

shades.of.blue HB User

Well, I can definatly relate to the nausea. For the first few weeks, I felt sick to my stomach every morning after I took my meds. I never ate much breakfast because I was always in a hurry in the mornings, but after I started talking it with a bowl of cereal, it went away. I don't know when your daughter takes her medicine, but if she doesn't take it with food, that could definatly be the problem. As for the mood swings, I had those too. Never knew when they would happen but, I would get so sad and emotional for no apparant reason. It was awful. That didn't start with me until about two months after I had been taking it. Eventually it went away on it's own. Thank God, my mom was about ready to disown me. Not really, but she just didn't understand what I was going through. Now I'm just about side effect free and doing much better in school. I guess it just takes your body a little while to get used to it. If you or anyone else has any more questions I'm happy to help.
    -Brittany

Old 02-16-2005, 11:13 PM   #4
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Hi Brittany

My daughter was also recently put on Strattera for ADHD. She's been on medication ever since she was small. First Ritalin, then Adderral, now Strattera. She's only been on it for about two weeks and she is pretty moody and tired. I saw you say that you were moody, but were you also tired too? What other side effects did you have?

Thanks,
    Chantel

Old 02-17-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
    momsbrandi
    (female)

momsbrandi HB User

Someone said that I should try giving my daughter her Staterra at night time. Hopefully this will do the trick, I'll post later and let you guys know how it goes. mb

Old 02-18-2005, 05:15 PM   #6
    shades.of.blue
    (female)

shades.of.blue HB User

Chantel2003, as for the tiredness, I only had problems with that for the first few days on it. It went right away after that. I also had a loss of appetite about 5 months into it which eventually gave me fatigue problems but that went away too. For me side effects came in waves, each passing and sometimes leaving another one behind. My bod had adjusted to it and now it's a Godsent.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:11 AM   #7
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by momsbrandi
    Someone said that I should try giving my daughter her Staterra at night time. Hopefully this will do the trick, I'll post later and let you guys know how it goes. mb

I was wondering about this too. My daughter also said that she sweats a lot in the morning because she takes it then. I'm wondering if taking it at night would be better. Let us know how it goes. I'm really curious.

Thanks,
    Chantel

Old 02-21-2005, 03:13 AM   #8
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shades.of.blue
    Chantel2003, as for the tiredness, I only had problems with that for the first few days on it. It went right away after that. I also had a loss of appetite about 5 months into it which eventually gave me fatigue problems but that went away too. For me side effects came in waves, each passing and sometimes leaving another one behind. My bod had adjusted to it and now it's a Godsent.

Hello again

Thank you so much for the information. Any information on this medicine is greatly appreciated. I am also glad you are doing well on it now I will keep you all updated on my daughter. So far, she is still tired and a little moody, but she told me today that she is concentrating better and remembering things better too. Hopefully it gets better.

Chantel

Old 02-22-2005, 04:05 AM   #9
    momsbrandi
    (female)

momsbrandi HB User

I still give my daughter her med in the morning. We have moved up to 40mg. She's been on that dose for three days now. Yesterday she had to stay home from school with a terrible stomach ache. I'm guessing it's the Straterra. She does seem to be calmer on this med. I'll keep in touch. Lets share with each other, we'll figure it out! mb

Last edited by momsbrandi; 02-22-2005 at 04:05 AM.

Old 02-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #10
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    I still give my daughter her med in the morning. We have moved up to 40mg. She's been on that dose for three days now. Yesterday she had to stay home from school with a terrible stomach ache. I'm guessing it's the Straterra. She does seem to be calmer on this med. I'll keep in touch. Lets share with each other, we'll figure it out! mb

I agree and thank you for the information. Let us know how she is in a few dyas on the 40mg dose.

Chantel

Old 02-22-2005, 08:02 AM   #11
    momsbrandi
    (female)

momsbrandi HB User

I just received a phone call from my daughter's teacher. She was rude and smart-allic to her. She said she also did this last week. My gosh, I'm a nervous wreck. Is this the Staterra???????? Please, Anyone, have you ever heard of Straterra making a person more aggressive? Defiant?

Old 02-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
    shades.of.blue
    (female)

shades.of.blue HB User

It didn't really makeme more aggressive, but little things would cause me to get into fights with my mom and that's wierd because the two of us almost always get along great. That was about three months or so into it. It wasn't that i was being agressive, I was just mad. Ask her why she was acting that way. Was it out of anger, or just out of no where. Let me know what she says.

Brittany

Old 02-23-2005, 03:15 AM   #13
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    I just received a phone call from my daughter's teacher. She was rude and smart-allic to her. She said she also did this last week. My gosh, I'm a nervous wreck. Is this the Staterra???????? Please, Anyone, have you ever heard of Straterra making a person more aggressive? Defiant?

I'm not sure if it is the Straterra or not, but I would say that any increase in this type of medication could give some symptoms until the body has adjusted to it. I am on Lexapro, which is an anti-depressant for my panic attacks and Straterra is kind of like an anti-depressant too, and I know for me, when my dose was upped, I got aggitated and moody a little. It didn't last long, but it did happen. Talk to her doctor and see if he/she thinks it could be the medicine. I wouldn't give up on it quit yet though, unless she is getting way out of control.

Did you let her teacher know that she was on this medicine? They all need to know so that they can be easier on her in the future. Let her principle know too.

Chantel

Old 02-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #14
    tgoulart4
    (female)

tgoulart4 HB User

So how did strattera affect your appetite?

Old 03-10-2005, 07:18 AM   #15
    bjharris1214
    (female)

bjharris1214 HB User

Shades,

My 9 year old son has been on Strattera for 2 months now. He has been complaining about stomach aches alot. He takes his meds before bed. Did you have stomach problems?

Closed Thread