It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Strattera and Licking everything?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #1
    brendamccraw2

brendamccraw2 HB User
    Strattera and Licking everything?

My daughter has been on Strattera for a week and she has started licking things.I've caught her licking the TV remote,her hands,toys,pencils,etc.She can't take stimulants because they bring out tics in her.She stopped Ritalin La a month ago and her tics were completely gone when she started strattera.I don't know if the licking could be a tic or ocd behavior.Any thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 07:28 PM   #2
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User
    Re: Strattera and Licking everything?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brendamccraw2
    My daughter has been on Strattera for a week and she has started licking things.I've caught her licking the TV remote,her hands,toys,pencils,etc.She can't take stimulants because they bring out tics in her.She stopped Ritalin La a month ago and her tics were completely gone when she started strattera.I don't know if the licking could be a tic or ocd behavior.Any thoughts?
    I've heard tics (licking can be a tic) can be a rare side effect, due to Strattera's indirect effect on dopamine. It mainly is a norepinphrine(adrenaline) re-uptake inhibitor but does effect dopamine, just not as much as stimulants.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
    Soulcatcher
    Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User

Have you ever heard of Neurofeedback? Do a web search and look this up. If I can get the doctors name I will write you back with it. It's VERY interesting, I have been reading alot on it and my sister in law is going to get it for her daughter. I'll get the infor and post. It's an alternative to meds or an extra helping tool for children with ADD or ADHD. Maybe some other posters know what I am talking about.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
    hanelo4
    Inactive
    (female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Soulcatcher
    Have you ever heard of Neurofeedback? Do a web search and look this up. If I can get the doctors name I will write you back with it. It's VERY interesting, I have been reading alot on it and my sister in law is going to get it for her daughter. I'll get the infor and post. It's an alternative to meds or an extra helping tool for children with ADD or ADHD. Maybe some other posters know what I am talking about.

Hi

Please keep us posted on that. I would also like to know more about it.

Thanks,
    Chantel

Old 02-23-2005, 11:39 AM   #5
    brendamccraw2

brendamccraw2 HB User

I talked to her doctor and he said a very few people get tics on strattera.He said the licking is a tic and maybe it will subside in a few weeks.I guess I'll keep her on it and wait and see.She can't take stimulants because they all brought out tics in her.I thought strattera was different and was not supposed to cause "tics".

Old 02-23-2005, 11:44 AM   #6
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by brendamccraw2
    I talked to her doctor and he said a very few people get tics on strattera.He said the licking is a tic and maybe it will subside in a few weeks.I guess I'll keep her on it and wait and see.She can't take stimulants because they all brought out tics in her.I thought strattera was different and was not supposed to cause "tics".
    Well, it is different in the sense it does not directly work on dopamine but rather adrenaline. It only indirectly effects dopamine. Stimulants work more on dopamine, which oddly enough is an intermediate to adrenaline. It's pretty weird. Anyway, tics sometimes stay, sometimes they go, sometimes they are permanent, sometimes they are temporary. Hopefully her's will go away very soon.

Also, something else weird, alot of the side effects of stimulants like insomnia, growth, mood changes and appetite problems seem to also be in the Strattera listings. That is surprising because I used to think they were very different drugs too.

Last edited by Jennita; 02-23-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:35 AM   #7
    caroleye
    Veteran
    (female)

caroleye HB User

Replying to Soulcatcher's question about neurofeedback. This is so very new that "most" Dr.'s don't have a "clue" about it.

There's a ton of info if you google for it, and also a list of practitioners listed. I found a great one; she told me some psychiatrists refer to her.

This is "cutting edge" stuff that the drug company won't want to talk about!!

Old 11-30-2005, 11:11 AM   #8
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by caroleye
    Replying to Soulcatcher's question about neurofeedback. This is so very new that "most" Dr.'s don't have a "clue" about it.

There's a ton of info if you google for it, and also a list of practitioners listed. I found a great one; she told me some psychiatrists refer to her.

This is "cutting edge" stuff that the drug company won't want to talk about!!
    Drug co's like to advocate their drugs, any other therapy is looked down upon unless you are going to take the drugs along with it of course!

I read an article recently about how they are "redefining illness" with new research (paid for by drug co's of course?). The numbers that are considered normal for things like cholesterol, blood pressure even bodyweight are lowering down so that more people will ultimately need medications to address the new numbers.

At first I thought the article was of conspiracy theory, I had not heard of any new numbers but then a commercial came on for a cholestrerol lowering drug that shocked me. In it, the guy was saying that it was good "you" started exercising, eating right and got your cholesterol number down to normal BUT now NEW research shows that you might need to get that number down lower......this is where the drug might help!!

I think this is a trust issue being toyed with between patients and doctors, instigated by the drug co's and causing alot of confusion between the truth and fiction of what's healthy and who is.

Old 11-30-2005, 12:11 PM   #9
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    but then a commercial came on for a cholestrerol lowering drug that shocked me. In it, the guy was saying that it was good "you" started exercising, eating right and got your cholesterol number down to normal BUT now NEW research shows that you might need to get that number down lower......this is where the drug might help!!
    I can understand why this makes you skeptical since it was presented in a commercial for a specific medication. However, there are some very large, controlled studies (some funded by pharmaceuticals and some not) that clearly show a direct correlation between increased cholesterol readings (especially low density lipoproteins - LDLs) and heart attacks, strokes, and death. And yes, we are talking about cholesterol readings that were once called "high normal".

While you may be shocked and feel that your trust is being toyed with, I personally am trying to lower my cholesterol still more. Fortunately, I haven't yet needed medication to achieve this aim.

As far as biofeedback, I'll have to plead ignorance. But since Soulcatcher's question is from last February, I doubt she is still watching for replies.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #10
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by index.html
    I can understand why this makes you skeptical since it was presented in a commercial for a specific medication. However, there are some very large, controlled studies (some funded by pharmaceuticals and some not) that clearly show a direct correlation between increased cholesterol readings (especially low density lipoproteins - LDLs) and heart attacks, strokes, and death. And yes, we are talking about cholesterol readings that were once called "high normal".

While you may be shocked and feel that your trust is being toyed with, I personally am trying to lower my cholesterol still more. Fortunately, I haven't yet needed medication to achieve this aim.

As far as biofeedback, I'll have to plead ignorance. But since Soulcatcher's question is from last February, I doubt she is still watching for replies.
    Yes, I do understand higher cholesterol means higher risk for heart attacks, storkes, etc. But the fact is "research" can be manipulated to turn the direction of prescribing habits; lowered "normal" numbers can cause more prescriptions to be written.

Actually, I wasn't so shocked, given all the ariticles I've read, even now in mainstream media, of drug. co's fudging research to suit there goals, which is to get more people on medications.

Yeah, cholesterol should be controlled, no doubt. But high cholesterol is a result of lifestyle; high saturated fats cause the liver to produce more. That's not the liver's fault, nor is it liver disease. High cholesterol isn't a disease, it's a result of lifestyle. When people exercise and eat right, they can lower it enough to be out of danger, but with the definitions of what's low going down, those people will be unnecessarily regrouped into the danger zone and put on medication.

Prevention is good but is the use of medication prevention can lead to other complications/disease in the body from the medication itself, so the use of it must be absolutely warrented and not redefined to fit a certain monetary goal.

Old 12-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #11
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jennita
    But high cholesterol is a result of lifestyle; high saturated fats cause the liver to produce more. That's not the liver's fault, nor is it liver disease. High cholesterol isn't a disease, it's a result of lifestyle. When people exercise and eat right, they can lower it enough to be out of danger...
    Sorry, Jennita, but a couple of your points aren't quite accurate. Lifestyle is definitely a contributor to high cholesterol but genetics is a large factor (and possibly the largest factor). If you parents had it, there is a good chance that you will, too. While exercise and good diet can significantly reduce cholesterol (generally about 10 - 20%), for many individuals with drastically increased cholesterols, this reduction isn't anywhere close to reducing them to the "safe" level.

My mother is a good example of this. Her total cholesterol was around 500. A 10% reduction brought her down to around 450 - still double or triple the safe level. She already has significant plaque buildup in the blood vessels leading to her brain. I was 100% behind her decision to use cholesterol-lowering medication. I want my mother around for as long as possible!!! If it pads the pocketbooks of pharmaceutical executives, so be it.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #12
    resqmanswife
    (female)

resqmanswife HB User

Straterra caused tics/ocd in my son, he picked at his fingers/hands (as though he was covered in elmers glue)until they bled he lost a fingernail to infection from this tic.
    He also developed bloody noses that lasted for 20 minutes and absoultey poured as though a faucet had been turned on. We can't say for sure it was the straterra because he was also on concerta and a mood stabilizer at the same time(stupid ped)but when we took him off the tic stopped as did the bleeding.
    Adderall has been amazing for us, my son (8) daughter (12) and I are all on it and none of us have any effects.

BTW he was on it for I think 4-5 months and the tics got worse not better but this was our experience.
    good luck,
    Debby

Old 12-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #13
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

How are the tics on the Adderall?

Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 AM   #14
    resqmanswife
    (female)

resqmanswife HB User

Have almost completely disappeared the only thing left is he picks at his nose (just the inside tip) almost constantly this started with the strattera also his psych. thinks it is residual partly and partly 8 yr. old boy. It is better though his finger was constanly in his nose now it is just mostly lol,.. He is also aware now what he's doing when we tell him to stop and before he didn't know.The hand picking is gone.
    Debby

Old 12-02-2005, 12:08 PM   #15
    Jennita
    Inactive
    (female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by index.html
    Sorry, Jennita, but a couple of your points aren't quite accurate. Lifestyle is definitely a contributor to high cholesterol but genetics is a large factor (and possibly the largest factor). If you parents had it, there is a good chance that you will, too. While exercise and good diet can significantly reduce cholesterol (generally about 10 - 20%), for many individuals with drastically increased cholesterols, this reduction isn't anywhere close to reducing them to the "safe" level.

My mother is a good example of this. Her total cholesterol was around 500. A 10% reduction brought her down to around 450 - still double or triple the safe level. She already has significant plaque buildup in the blood vessels leading to her brain. I was 100% behind her decision to use cholesterol-lowering medication. I want my mother around for as long as possible!!! If it pads the pocketbooks of pharmaceutical executives, so be it.
    Genetics are a minor issue for most people... it's mainly lifestyle. Now you seem to be telling me your mothers' lifestyle has not been a factor....no drink, smoking, decent diet and vigorous exercise at least 4 times a week. So, if your mother is in fact one of the small percentage that is strictly genetic and it is extremely out of control (I'd say her readings are obviously that) then fine, it is probably best she take the medication.

After all, I'm not against medication/medicine/surgery where it is necessary; it's the disregard for caution in prescribing and the sometimes unscrupulous methods encouraged by drug co. based on profits/stockmarket that tee me off. You know what I mean, it's been in the news, the dishonesty for profit. Of course, for everything there are two sides, good and bad. They have developed good medications that do indeed save lives that need saving. It's not all bad, I never said that.

Closed Thread