It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• 6 Year Old Boy Diagnosed With ADHD

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
    diva78
    (female)

diva78 HB User
    Question 6 Year Old Boy Diagnosed With ADHD

My six year old son was just recently diagnosed with ADHD by a child psychologist that we have been seeing. She gave me letters that I could take to our primary care doctor but I'm not sure if I want to put him on medicine or not. I'm scared that it will change him for the worse or change his great personality. I don't want him to be a zombie...but to sit still for 5 minutes would be nice. Am I worrying over nothing or should I wait and see what the future holds without medication for him? Please help...confused in Texas!

The following user gives a hug of support to diva78:
    AthenaMercedes (11-15-2011)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 07:29 AM   #2
    rowboat
    (female)

rowboat HB User
    Re: 6 Year Old Boy Diagnosed With ADHD

Are you absolutely certain he has ADHD? Not to doubt you or the psychologist, but sometimes they can misdiagnose it. Does he get enough sleep at night? My daughter used to get really hyper and I actually thought she either had ADHD or autism. Until I learned about sleep apnea. We found out she wasn't getting a good night sleep ever. They took out her tonsils and adnoids, and now she's fine.

Now, assuming he really DOES have ADHD, meds can be very helpful. The hard part is finding the right dosage. Every child is different. My nephew is on them and when he first started, he was very much like a zombie. They adjusted the dosage, and now he is doing much better.

Good luck and let us know how he's doing!!

Becky

Old 03-30-2005, 07:37 AM   #3
    diva78
    (female)

diva78 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rowboat
    Are you absolutely certain he has ADHD? Not to doubt you or the psychologist, but sometimes they can misdiagnose it. Does he get enough sleep at night? My daughter used to get really hyper and I actually thought she either had ADHD or autism. Until I learned about sleep apnea. We found out she wasn't getting a good night sleep ever. They took out her tonsils and adnoids, and now she's fine.

Now, assuming he really DOES have ADHD, meds can be very helpful. The hard part is finding the right dosage. Every child is different. My nephew is on them and when he first started, he was very much like a zombie. They adjusted the dosage, and now he is doing much better.

Good luck and let us know how he's doing!!

Becky
    Thanks Rowboat! Actually...he could just be acting like a normal 6 year old boy...but now a days people want to put a label on everything don't they? :-)
    Well my son sleeps very good so I know it can't be sleep apnia.....he goes to bed at 8 and sleeps until 7 so he sleeps very well and never gives me problems in that department! Thank God for that! I just don't want to put him on medication and regret it later.....its a really big decision....and I'm not sure which way to lean on it.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
    LLinder

LLinder HB User

Been there. Our son too was diagnosed at 6. We started on medication and it has changed his life and ours. He's now 9 and doing great! We've played with the medicine over the years (long acting, short acting, etc.) but once we got it right, he's done fabulously well. He's much happier and is doing well in school. We still have challenges, but we're able to manage them much better. Our son is still the funny, loving, positive and high energy kid that he's always been - the medication gives him more control of his impulses and himself.

Good luck.

Old 03-30-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
    pkraft
    (female)

pkraft HB User

diva78-
    I also have a son with ADHD... He was diagnosed last year when he was 7. As for whether or not you are sure he REALLY has it, I think that you would know. For a long time I suspected that he might but kept thinking he was just immature. He always had to have a "special behavior system" at school because he couldn't succeed with what they hat in place. But it was more than that. It was exhausting trying to help him follow directions. I cut out sugar, we did charts, we moved bedtimes around. Nothing worked or if it did....it didn't last.

It wasn't until last year that I was forced to face the situation when he was basically being mistreated by his teacher at school. I realized that he couldn't stay focused on much of anything and that sometimes he was so overly focused that his attention couldn't be broken from that. His eyes would shift around the room and he couldn't stay focussed. I used to ask him to put on his shoes (for instance)...I would ask if he heard me (he always said yes) and I would ask him to tell me what I asked him to do....he rarely could. When I finally got him to hear and repeat what I wanted him to do (a very common practice for children with ADHD) he would run off to do it but would forget by the time he got there....this went on for everything. Like I said "exhausting" But my point is.....there is really no denying it if your child truly has this.

He has been on meds for about a year and is doing great. We didn't experience the zombie thing at all. He is the same kid only now he is better behaved. He is actually on the best behavior board at school! Like another post said...he is just better able to control himself now. A friend of mine explained it to me this way. When they have ADHD, it's like they can see out of the window but just can't get outside. WHat our job is is to help open the window for them. I wish you the best of luck!

Old 03-30-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
    index.html
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

index.html HB User

Diva, the decision of whether or not to use medication is a very personal one and one that only you and his dad can make. Just because he is diagnosed does NOT mean that you have to start medication!

You didn't mention how he does in school. Is he learning? How about friends? Is he able to make friends?

I guess I'm wanting you to think about how severely he is affected. If he is functioning pretty well, you may not want to go the medication route. If, however, he is severely affected, that's a different story.

It's not an easy decision to make; I feel for you!

Old 03-31-2005, 07:33 AM   #7
    diva78
    (female)

diva78 HB User

PKraft.....thanks so much for everything that you wrote. I really believe that your son and my son are the same exact person. I go through the same exact scenerios! Listening is a huge thing for us ... we always seem to be working on it...you convinced me to at least test out the medications and see what happens. I can always take him off of them if it doesn't work in our favor. I really hope that we have a success story similair to yours! And for everyone else that responded...thanks to you as well. I know that this is soley my decision....but getting answers and support from people that have been there is such a great thing....you have no idea. Thanks again and God Bless everyone!

Old 03-31-2005, 09:57 AM   #8
    nickkaylee
    (female)

nickkaylee HB User

Yoou also have to remember that not every medicine will work so if the first one doesn't that doesn't mean another won't. My son is on a medication right now that seems to work the most since he outgrew his other one. It by no means takes it all away but makes it bearable most of the time. My son is 10 and was diagnosed at 6. He still has a hard time following directions and all and is struggling with school. They are just now FINALLY trying to get him classified as Special Ed and I soooo hope it works. Good luck to you!

Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #9
    pkraft
    (female)

pkraft HB User

Diva78-

You are sooooo welcome! And please know that I'm in no way trying to push the idea of medication on anyone. That is a very personal decision that only the parents can make. We agonized over the decision for quite some time. In our situation we felt that his self-confidence was diminishing because he was basically yelled at by his teacher at school all day and labeled as "non-cooperative" and was forced to sit at a desk all alone facing the wall for a while and he felt horrible because he said he just felt like he "couldn't make his teacher happy". And then things were compounded by our frustration at home in addition to that....so, for us it was the right decision.

Good luck to you and your family.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:56 AM   #10
    diva78
    (female)

diva78 HB User

Thank you very much for your kind words and advice in sharing your exoeriences with me. It does get hard but I know that I need to at least try for my son.....thank you again for everyones kind words and thoughts. I'll keep each and everyone of you in my prayers.

Old 04-30-2005, 11:57 AM   #11
    Shababy
    (female)

Shababy HB User
    Lightbulb Re: 6 Year Old Boy Diagnosed With ADHD

Just because a psyc gives you letters doesn't mean you have to go to the doctor at all. I have children with ADD and not on meds. I had one on meds years and years ago, I wouldn't do it again. Matter a fact, one daughter was later also diagnosed with Non-verbal learning disorder(Autism spectrum). Go to Autism board to read more if you are interested.

Closed Thread