It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Does memory loss fit in somewhere?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #1
    kathryn00
    (female)

kathryn00 HB User
    Does memory loss fit in somewhere?

I was reading "does this sound like ADD?" and can totally relate. I zone out when people are talking to me and reading is difficult unless it is a novel. (A cheesy one at that because I cannot read anything remotely complicated.) I start projects and have a hard time finishing them. I am laid back as well.

I have never been diaognosed with ADD, but am starting to believe it.

Anyway, I was wondering if short-term memory loss has anything to do with ADD. I will listen to a song, watch a movie/tv, etc and not remember the name, the lyrics, the characters names, etc. The same goes for conversations. Just anything that even happens that day, I cannot recall.

It is really bothering me, so I am in research mode. Hope it is related, then I could just take a pill and have my memory back. (yeah, right, but it would be nice!)

All input will be greatly appreciated. Does my problem even sound like add?

Last edited by kathryn00; 04-23-2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: add something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
    saleenbty
    (female)

saleenbty HB User
    Re: Does memory loss fit in somewhere?

could b but there are a lot of other factors that must be accounted for...you should get tested

Old 04-23-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kathryn00
    I was reading "does this sound like ADD?" and can totally relate. I zone out when people are talking to me and reading is difficult unless it is a novel. (A cheesy one at that because I cannot read anything remotely complicated.) I start projects and have a hard time finishing them. I am laid back as well.

I have never been diaognosed with ADD, but am starting to believe it.

Anyway, I was wondering if short-term memory loss has anything to do with ADD. I will listen to a song, watch a movie/tv, etc and not remember the name, the lyrics, the characters names, etc. The same goes for conversations. Just anything that even happens that day, I cannot recall.

It is really bothering me, so I am in research mode. Hope it is related, then I could just take a pill and have my memory back. (yeah, right, but it would be nice!)

All input will be greatly appreciated. Does my problem even sound like add?
    kathryn00, I think this is where the "attention deficit" part of ADD comes from. That is, if your attention isn't really THERE, then the activities that are happening in front of you don't really register -- if nothing goes IN, then there are no memories to retrieve later.

I've learned to fake it in my "old age" (56), but I'm always nervous that I'm going to get caught out when I have conversations with someone -- I can't remember the things about the last time we met that they are referring to, so I'm always looking for clues and hoping I'm not saying anything stupid like referring to something that didn't involve them at all.

Anxiety does make everything worse. With counseling, you can learn to be more at peace with yourself, and proud of the talents that you have rather than dwelling on how you're different from other people -- different doesn't mean deficient. When the anxiety goes down, you might even be able to snatch bits of memory from your subconscious -- on good days anyway!

And learn to make lists and write EVERYTHING down in a date book just as soon as you think of them -- then you only need to remember to bring the list when you go shopping or to look at your datebook to see if there was anything that you wrote down in there. You don't need to remember the things ON the list, only the list itself.

What you describe sounds like me, too!

--Rheanna

Old 04-24-2005, 12:57 AM   #4
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User

kathryn00

If it didn't cause me so many darn problems it would be funny.

Recently . . .

Left the house without keys to get back in. Left McDonalds drive through without my change. Girl came running out with it. Drove past the gas station almost on empty, got on the interstate and drove eighty miles. But I forgot the car I was driving was not the one I came home the night before hence was not as low on gas as I thought - almost though. All in one day.

Distraction is the problem, not memory loss.

Write everything down in a notebook. Try your best not to forget the notebook.

addprogrammer

PS I'm a geezer - 53

Old 04-24-2005, 04:22 AM   #5
    rheanna
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

rheanna HB Userrheanna HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addprogrammer
    kathryn00

If it didn't cause me so many darn problems it would be funny.

PS I'm a geezer - 53

I think my sense of humor is the main thing that has kept me sane.

--Also a geezer, Rheanna

Old 04-24-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
    saleenbty
    (female)

saleenbty HB User

I agree with you guys i think the thing i hate most is conversations... I don't talk enough i guess and so people ask me questions... then i feel like such a f*** up. Like I'm taking 3 classes at a university.. and after school began if someone asked me (this happened) what my classes were it would take me a minute or two to think about it... and once i couldn't remember.

I've said soooo many emberassing things in my life without thinking. So i keep quiet which is not good because if you don't say what you want even if you do sound stupid you'll never get it. I'm only 18 and have thought I had it all my life but never got tested cause i didn't want to have it. but I was diagnosed with it 2 weeks ago and have been put on only 10mg of adderol 2x a day and i love it.

I wish i had been tested earlier in my life because i know it would have made school so much easier... luckily i'm somewhat smart it was only reading that i could never figure out how to get focused on. A couple years ago i found that listening to elevator music on headphones helps you concentrate on boring stuff sooooo much because it blocks out your surroundings.

Oh here's a funny stupid story lol.... a few years ago i got gas and left the handle in so i drove off and it was ripped out of my car. And my friend saw he still always reminds me of how "blonde" of a brunette I am.
    hmm... what else have i done that will make you giggle

i don't remember but i know there is alot... like everyday at least something lil. schedules is the only thing that keeps me sane as well. However if ADD is left untreated it can cause soooo many probs.. I have anxiety, chronic depression, i used to be addicted to pain killers I havn't taken any for over a month though. It's hard to be happy when you feel so different, and if it's soo hard to get through the day cause you feel that you can't accomplish anything. and no good will come of your actions in the long run. It also doesn't help feeling that no one really cares about you. Which i know is untrue my parents do care a bit, and i have one best friend who defenitly cares... but till i got my boyfriend and really tried to fix myself even though i did slip up many times.... i forgot where I was going with that sorry.

Thats also what happens even though i am on adderol as well... I'll be telling a story and I'll forget where I'm at or where i was going, or even what story i was just telling. ugggh. I usually would erase it but it just shows you the add probs i think. I really don't know that much about it... but i defenitly know that i wish i knew about it before i got to highschool. It's a prob i guess and it's not ur fault so you shouldn't feel guilty. = this i think i'm telling to myself this past week over and over. It's such a prob and i really don't like drugs but if it keeps me sane and not wanting to hurt myself than it's the right choice. plus i'm not using pain killers which really didn't do any good. If you take like 20 of them i thought it would kill you but it just makes your stomach kill as it eats out the lining of your stomach. It makes you not feel physical pain when i wanted it to fix my emotional pain... which i think is the fault of the ADD. I just wish someone would have noticed before i ****ed my body up soo much. thats why i just want to reiterate to get tested!

ESPECIALLY IF YOUR YOUNG... cuz the stuff we have to do in school is almost impossible. I go to the university of michigan and i gave up w/ life cuz of all the stress and I've been depressed for 2 and a half years at least. - i didn't open my mouth until november though and go to see someone.
    I don't know I have a poor childhood i guess and that prolly makes you and me alot diff. (my bro used to beat me) lol i had blocked it out of my memory for years everytime it happened it would go into the back of my brain and the door would lock it shut. My therapist brought it out of me a month ago and it was just soo hurtfull. If i wasn't on anti depressants i dont think i'd be here right now. I hated her for opening that door but now i'm learning to cope with it and i know even though i don't like drugs i would not be able to do it without them. my bro's 20 now he's 6'4 really big but he hasn't hit me for 1 -2 years, but he still hurts me day to day with words "your a ****in drugie, your so messed up, my dick's smarter than you" etc. it's ridiculous. He's got an anger prob and i think he was forced to go to counceling for it a couple years ago, i know he had to go sometime im not sure when. But two days or three days ago he tried to take one of my cars (my families wealthy, but i paid for them) and i wouldn't let him. He took my keys since i left the sunroof open (i have a key code and never take my keys out on one of my sable) and he tried to take my camaro. I grabbed them from him while he was in the shower and ran outside. But he still had my sable spare so i told him if he didn't give it back id reck his room. So he in turn through it into my front yard. Then we continued to bicker cause i couldn't find it. And he came up to me as if he was going to hit me then I screamed "hit me, do it!" and i kept on telling him to hit me. he got soooo red pointed at the key then got into his f150 and left - i don't even know why he wanted to take my car i don't drive it much the sables more handy. but anyways. It felt soooo good to yell at him uh i loved it!!!!!!!!

Sorry this is sooo long I kinda got off your topic, but it feels good to journal on the computer. It's so much better than writing to me. And i don't want to save it on here because i have no purpose for it. plus if someone finds out my password they'd be able to read it and thats always a concern. Why take the chance? I always use the same three passwords thats why its such a big risk. otherwise i'll forget them.

oh heres something that happened last week i just remembered. I went to the atm and forgot to take the card out for a minute and it ate it so i thought that i did take it. Then i continued to search through my car for it for bout 15min till i was sure i didn't take it out.

Well heres a mouthfull... GET TESTED

my best,

Becca

Old 04-25-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
    PrincessBride22
    (female)

PrincessBride22 HB User

I think you should go to a doctor and get tested Kathryn, but honestly, it seems to me like you probably do have it. I can never remember anything about movies I watch. Maybe here and there but i can't explain it to someone who asks "what was that movie about?" i am horrible at explaining since I don't remember details. I am very musical so have music running through my head a lot of the day so do remember the tune and lyrics so so. A lot of people are able to dwell on the movie they watched. After a few minutes, a lot of it has been erased from my memory. Sometimes its a good thing though if i didnt like the movie anyway lol. But yeah I"m very distractable and have a bad short term memory and yeah if people were to ask me what I did yesterday or a couple days ago I wouldnt remember. it's sad! but true. I really have to think about it and even then sometimes I can't think of what I did lol besides saying "work" or whatever. I just do not remember details. Anyway, go get checked up. See what your doctor has to say and let us know . ADDprogrammer I also do crazy things. Once i went to class and forgot my backpack lol, once I lost my ID card for college, went and got a new one, and then found the old one. I forgot my cell phone once when I went to work and that bugs me more than anything. The point of the cell phone is to be with you wherever lol. I also have lost my keys before etc. I have always been scatterbrained and wondered why until now! now i kNow why! it is ADD! It gets worse though when I'm nervous. Like when I'm in the room with my room mate I am not comfortable and am anxious. Hate being there with her because we are total opposites and she's just too nosy. Im pretty quiet and reserved(have inattentive and some impulsivity but no hyperactive). Anyway, when I get in there at night. I do one thing and then go back because i forgot to do something else. I'll put my purse down and then get it because all the sudden i remembered to get something out and then go to the bathroom to take shower and immediately remember that i forgot to get something. It's horrible. I think it happens more too when the med has worn off! But also because I get anxious and my room mate intimidates me and downright annoys me! thank goodness I am getting married in June and will have my fiance as a room mate lol. My patience level is getting low with my present room mate. I just try to stay out of the room and barely talk to her when I'm in there. Although i have to sometimes because she'll start talking which is ok i guess but her nosyness irritates me to no end. What I do is none of her business. I'll tell who I want to tell what i do during the day/weekend or whatever like my good friends. Not people like her though. I never confront. Thats another thing...I struggle with confronting people. I never have really done it. So, i just keep things to myself and leave the room irritated and in 5 minutes after I've left the room I'm having a great time. My fiance's apartment is only 5 minutes away which is wonderful! i stay there during the day and have to go back to the dorm room at night since my college is dumb enough to have "curfews". okay I guess I got off the subject a little....lol. sorry about going off like that about my room mate. I feel better now though! hope what I said at the "beginning" before I started all my rambling about nothing helpful, helps you kathryn!!
    -Princess-

Old 04-25-2005, 10:54 AM   #8
    PrincessBride22
    (female)

PrincessBride22 HB User

okay Saleen,
    I have to respond to you too! Sounds like we have a lot in common! Conversations are very hard for me too. I do stuff about school and classes like that too and I have social anxiety along with ADD which really doesnt help! I feel like a screw up in conversations when i stumble over words. IT is so painful! and when i can't think of answers to easy questions which i should! man its hard! I grew up with a loud, hyperactive ADHD type brother who is wonderful for the most part now, but he used to criticize me constantly. I got into the habit of keeping quiet. I might have still been quiet, who knows? but I Think I got super introverted because of criticism and developed social anxiety. I'm always afraid now that people will criticize me too. I'm such a people pleaser! which isn't always a good thing because I know i can't please everyone! people at college think I'm stuck up because I'm so quiet and shy. Talking to people I don't know in person scares me to death. I really want to get better about that. Groups are the worst though. One-on One is at least a little better but still difficult. Anyway, don't worry you are not a F*** up as you put it. If it makes you feel any better, I'm probably worse with all this than you are. So there are other people like me out there in the same boat as you. I always felt different and hated that. I wanted to be normal and to socialize. I also think that being homeschooled up til 8th grade also hindered my social skills as well! I went to high school my freshman year and didnt know what to do. All the other people were totally ahead of me socially. They knew how to socialize and talk. I was so excited to go to school and talk to people but that didnt happen! The first year was horrible. Nobody would come up to me and talk and I was so painfully shy that i couldnt talk to many people either and I did get my first boyfriend then but he ended up to treat me horrible (but we wont go there)and my self esteem went lower from there. I started getting a little more talkative my sophomore year....but still struggled. Then we moved and the couple friends I had, I had to leave behind and start over at a different school. That was very hard as well. At college it has almost been the worst though. I have one friend. Most of my friends are at work though and we just hang out at work and never anywhere else. It is hard. I wish i was comfortable enough to ask people to hang out with me and go shopping or whatever it might be but I get scared todeath. I asked my best friend from work and she is so busy she just doesn't have time for much of anything right now. I understand though. At least I "know" that she is my friend too. Some people are nice but a lot of the girls are younger than me. I'm a hostess at a restaurant by the way. Anyway, they talk about people sometimes behind their back and I try to avoid that. I keep wondering "what do they say about me when I'm not working?" I want more "true" friends. I have 2 and that's about it right now. At least I have my fiance though! I'm so excited to be married! I have connected with him like nobody else ever. I feel comfortable with him to totally open up and same with my other 2 close friends but other then that nobody. Unless I really click with someone from the first start, I usually always keep a shell around me. I usually don't get out of my shell and socialize to the person. I just want to be able to talk to people! my mom and brother are very outgoing! My dad is more reserved but at least he talks too. I just hate having social anxiety/ADD. I am determined not to make that an excuse for anything though. Ijust have to work on not being so self conscious and afraid of peoples reactions to me. I know I need a higher self esteem. It's just hard sometimes? anyone know what I mean? Saleen, I have also said too many impulsive embarrassing things and that makes me be quiet more too. I too have bad anxiety. I get so anxious about making presentations for class or just talking one on one with a teacher(intimidated by authority figures) I get bad knots in my stomach and my blood pressure gets high! I don't really have depression. I get angry or sad but it usually only lasts for a few minutes then I'm completely over it. I also tell stories and forget where I'm at. Then I have to be like "sorry I forgot what I was saying" so embarrassing! I also feel like a failure at school. This is my 5th year and have another year to go. I couldn't handle 16 hours each semester. Only like between 9 and 12 because I get soo overwhelmed and my stress level is high! SO, I'm a senior and "hope" to graduate next May. It's depressing though. Very hard not to compare myself to my brother, who graduated in 4 years and knew exactly what he wanted to do the whole time in college making straight As. Rarely a B. Me? I'm lucky to have a C in classes. I've failed some and have felt like I was a failure to my family. I have always been so indecisive. It is hard for me to find something interesting to go into for my major. I kept changing majors forever. I still don't know if computing is right for me. I just want to choose the right thing I really do! but what? It's hard having ADD because I always want something stimulating and get bored really fast with anything that isn't stimulating to me. That is SOO wrong about your brother? cant you tell your other family about it? or tell the cops or somebody? you do NOT deserve that treatment. ALways remember that okay? no matter what you don't. I wasn't going to say this but my first boyfriend would hit me(I was 14, he was 15) and after that I was scarred for life although I'm trying to forget about the past and focus on the future. I found a great guy who treats me very very well now!! so I'm much happier but things like that in your life can make you have very low self esteem . Iknow it has for me! lol I do that all the time. I get off the topic so easily!! Whatever pops into my head I'll write or talk about. its crazy. I'm so random! so don't worry about it! I'm the same way. Well I hope everything gets better for you!! write back if you want . And remember, you shouldnt put up with bad treatment!
    -Princess-

Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 PM   #9
    kathryn00
    (female)

kathryn00 HB User

Thank you all for your input! I am not alone!

Did medication help with your memory loss or your social skills?

Old 04-27-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
    saleenbty
    (female)

saleenbty HB User

i just started on friday taking adderol and it does help. But the problem that we have isn't really about memory it's about paying attention to the things that we do. Like i can read a book and not remember a single word of it because i didn't "listen" to the book. you know? Like if your easily side tract and your not there to start with how are you going to remember where "there" is? It's kind of confusing but i think you get my point.
    I have social anxiety as well, but the meds don't help for it. I think it will be helpfull over time once i learn not to be afraid of the stupid things i might say. Because that's sort of what social anxiety is, fear of not being liked. That is why i keep quiet at least. Im afraid what i say might come out wrong since it has so many times in the past and hit me in the face. - so in one way it'll help kind of but its not really the meds i don't think. I think you need to just teach yourself to slow down what your thinking in order to get it out if it will add to the convo. Or be like me - I'm defenitly a DOER not a Sayer. I talk to people one on one but in groups i just make comments or joke with people about the convo so as to be included. But i am silly. I don' know its not for everyone. but i defenitly have to say that getting on the meds for finals defenitly saved my GPA cuz there was no way that i was going to get all the **** that i had to done. I have one test left tommorow and am struggling with it but the 2 6 page papers, and a test is finished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm soooo proud of myself, i have such problems with papers!.

You know what though it hasn't helped memory loss that wasn't caused being focused. but i shouldn't really be the one explaining i don't think since i've only been using it for less then a week. How old are you? If you don't need to concentrate though you don't really need the meds. Im only taking them for finals, and having them as back ups for when i feel like ill need some help. there are side affects that suck as with every drug so you have to figure out if the benefits outway the affects.

Old 04-27-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
    saleenbty
    (female)

saleenbty HB User

Now princessbride,
    I'm so happy to hear that your getting married. Having someone that love's you like that is soo important in keeping us sane and happy. We have sooo much in common it's unbelievable. but then alot thats not but i'll focus on the stuff that is. Yeh I've only been in college for a year and a half and have decided on 3 completly different majors for the same reason. I'm trying soo hard to figure out what will keep me wealthy and happy. but who knows? I went to a private school from kind - 8th grade. and had 2 really close freinds. (either one or 2 is always the case) One of them went to my highschool and the other to another highschool. But my friend was a DORK and she still is. I was so yearning to be accepted by the "popular" croud that i wouldn't hang around her at school etc. I'd rather be alone than have my reputation ruined... lol. But when i got to highschool she was the only person i knew! everyone else knew eachother, they all had there little cliques etc. And it took me a year to finally find one friend at school who I felt comfortable with. And I'm fine in groups as long as i have someone that i feel comfortable with, and there is no one in the group that i feel threatened by. threatening meaning, they are prettier than me, etc. - sadly thats what i mostly focused on. Luckely i am pretty, so i didn't have to hang with the total dorks. I was very superficial in groups and everyone thought/ thinks i am stuck up. I act that way around people who i don't want to get to know though, it keeps them from talkin to me lol. I have dealt with people talking behind my back my whole life, and i'm glad i don't care anymore. It really doesn't make a diff. hey at least they care enough to talk!! lol hmm... what else did i want to talk about? I go to u of m michigan where do you go? just curious. I'm not sure if i'm alowed to ask this on here so i hope i dont cause this email to be blocked. Oh i don't take it from my brother anymore i scream at him and i wish i could block out his words but if he hits me than i dont know. But he has gotten better. The prob that i'm finding is that i really like to be pushed around by the ones that i love, this i know is because of my childhood. but still. My boyfriend is so sweet but he won't push me even innocently!! I asked him to step on my back yesterday cuz it feels good to me, and he wouldn't do it!!!! I love playful wrestling, being overpowered, fighting back! lol, i don't like it when im hurting, but this is innocent! the worst that could happen is a bruise. It's soo aggravating, because i know where it comes from, but i still know that i love it. what meds do you take? well i'm out of ideas of what to still write about, sooooo i guess this is it... ttul

Take care,

Becca

Old 04-27-2005, 01:43 PM   #12
    simmscity4
    (female)

simmscity4 HB User

I am not a geezer but I have days like that too. I forget almost everything and I always thought I was just dumb or maybe did too many drugs in my teens! It's nice to hear that others have had this problem too. The scariest thing I ever "forgot" was that my two year old was outside with me it dawned on me 10 minutes later that I wasn't watching him. Thank God he hadn't left the park but I think that's when I realised that there was more wrong than just a bad memory. Since I started meds I find I sometimes remember if I think a little bit where as before I would have no recollection of things I said or did or watched. I am newly diagnosed with all of this but my son was diagnosed a year ago it's just nice to know I'm not loosing it.

Closed Thread