It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Adult "drug free" days?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-27-2005, 05:01 AM   #1
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Adult "drug free" days?

If you are an adult (over 21) and are taking a stimulant for ADHD control, do you periodically take days off from the stimulant med?

If so, do you feel it has helped you eliminate or reduce tolerance to the med's ADHD control properties?

If you do not take days off, please tell me why.

I am having good success with Ritalin at a relatively low dose - 60mg/day. Its anti-ADHD properties have been holding for about three months now, which, granted, is not a long time. I fear building tolerance and the need for upping the dose or moving on to a stronger med. The higher the dose of any drug the greater the toxicity. I am trying to prevent that by taking the weekends off. Last week I got behind with work and took only one day off. It did not seem to impact the drug's effects one way or the other.

Thanks for your help.

addprogrammer

Sidebar on stimulants vs SSRIs: It is not a good idea to take days off from any drug in the SSRI class and even a worse idea with Wellbutrin and Strattera. A regular SSRI schedule is necessary to maintain efficacy and prevent withdrawal symptoms. However, speaking for myself, Ritalin works immediately and does not produce physical or psychological withdrawals on my days off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
    Blue Lightsaber
    (male)

Blue Lightsaber HB User
    Re: Adult "drug free" days?

Ritalin good have been nicer to me.

Closed Thread