It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Concerta-and good stories to tell?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-21-2005, 04:36 PM   #1
    summer88
    (female)

summer88 HB User
    Question Concerta-and good stories to tell?

Hello,

I am 28 years old. I have felt like I have had ADD basically all of my life. Out of place bc i could never focus and all the other symptoms. I starting taking Concerta this week and am freaking myself out reading about all the side effects.

Any words of encouragement from anyone that has a good experience on this? I am starting to second guess taking this med bc I am so scared of the side-effects.

thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
    littlemiss1976
    (female)

littlemiss1976 HB User
    Re: Concerta-and good stories to tell?

i was just put on concerta myself for adult add.i seem to be doing fine with it. if it works for you and your not having any side effects after a few days i think that you'll be all right.if you arnet sure check with your doc and ask.

Old 08-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
    ammom
    (female)

ammom HB User

Please be careful!! Our son (10) was on Concerta 36mg for a little over a year and over the past month he has developed body tics. First they were all over his body and then they were focused on his head and neck, now they are in his legs and torso. If you have any concerns please talk to your doctor! I hope everything works out for you.

ammom

Last edited by ammom; 08-05-2005 at 04:45 PM.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:03 AM   #4
    Jessesmom

Jessesmom HB User

HI my son is 9 and has been on concerta 36mg for over a year and we have had no side affects at all.. I do think he may need to increase his dose but the next dose we feel is to high.. Everyone is different thought so try it and see how you feel I think if you look things up on the internet you are going to always find the good and bad of whatever it is you are taking... I am pretty sure I have adult add but am scared to tell the doctor(my husband would say I am just lazy)but I can never keep the house clean, laundry done and I want to sleep all the time. I am losing my patience with my children over the smallest things. I was a few years ago on antidepresants and went off but still feel out of sorts..
    Well I must go.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
    mspen1018
    (male)

mspen1018 HB User

I have just started Concerta therapy 27 mg's and it works miracles for me I have grown up misdiagnosed as a rapid cycling bipolar and never has adhd come into the picture until I saw my new doctor who says this may be why I don't respond to any bipolar medication I have been on it for 3 months and my mood is stable I can focus now and I am not hyper or impulsive anymore i think ritalin rather than lithium may have solved a lot of problems. but I must say the concerta is rather sedating at first

Old 09-09-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
    Alyna25
    (female)

Alyna25 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mspen1018
    I have just started Concerta therapy 27 mg's and it works miracles for me I have grown up misdiagnosed as a rapid cycling bipolar and never has adhd come into the picture until I saw my new doctor who says this may be why I don't respond to any bipolar medication I have been on it for 3 months and my mood is stable I can focus now and I am not hyper or impulsive anymore i think ritalin rather than lithium may have solved a lot of problems. but I must say the concerta is rather sedating at first

SEDATING??? are you kidding? I can't even get on track in the morning without it.

Old 09-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
    mamisano

mamisano HB User

Concerta has worked great for me. I was diagnosed with Adult ADD about a year ago and started on Stratera. That did nothing for me so I was moved to Concerta. It was like night and day. I can't even begin to explain how much better each day is.

The only downsides are:
    It wears off in the evening, makes it difficult to converse with my wife.
    When you miss a day, don't expect to get anything done. I feel like a lead weight the entire day, just want to sack out when I don't take the meds. Doctor asked me to skip weekends, but that didn't work out so well. Spent them sleeping

Closed Thread