It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Dexedrine question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-02-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
    Bill17724

Bill17724 HB User
    Dexedrine question

I feel very up and down emotionally and physically as far as taking dexedrine is concerned. I've been taking it (10mgs) for about 2 weeks. Does anyone know if this is normal to be so all over the place. Is 10mgs a low dose? Do you guys think it will even out after awhile. I was also wondering if anyone knows the half life of dexdrine. Will the medicine still be effective in the evening if taken in the morning. I actually feel tired while on the drug and in the evening when it's probably wearing off I get a little edgy and irritable and it's a little hard to sleep. Not that bad, though. Any information on dexedrine would be appreciated. Thank You!

Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-02-2005, 04:00 PM   #2
    addprogrammer
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

addprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB Useraddprogrammer HB User
    Re: Dexedrine question

Bill,

Dexedrine (detroamphetamine, d-amphetamine) has a half-life of 2 to 3 hours. It will never smooth out. Sorry.

Talk to your doc about time-released stimulants such as Adderral XR.

Quote from a web under "fair usage" copyright clause: "Ritalin has a half-life of only 2 to 3 hours (Dexedrine’s half life is similar). Each of Adderall’s four combined salts has a different half-life allowing the drug to last for longer periods of time in the brain. This mechanism allows Adderall to alternate between amphetamine salts about every 120 minutes, which allows the body to maintain a high level of amphetamine in the brain for eight hours" (Abernathy et al, 1999).

Shire (and others) have developed technology to time release their active ingredients. The effective half-life of standard release Adderal is 5 hours. XR 20 mg (for example) releases 10 mg at the get go and another 10 mg at the 6 hour mark. You end up with 1 hour downtime waiting for efficacy then a rock-solid 11 hours of efficacy.

I understand that Dexedrine Spansules use time release mechanism. But you can only kick a dead horse so far. It's half life is still only 2-3 hours per release.

You should be aware that Adderall is a mix of 4 similar amphetamine salts. Two of those four salts have tbhe nasty side-effects of jitters and racing heart when taken in excess. Unfortunetly, for those with undetected heart conditions, Adderall can be down-right dangerous whereas Dexedrine is only marginally so. That is why Canada temporarily stopped the legal prescribing of Adderall. You should have, if not already, a thorough workup from you doc before starting Adderall therapy. Dead is worse than alive with ADHD.

For some people, the only recourse is 3x or 4x /day doses of Dexedrine. The damn stuff works a little too well. No side-effects to warn you of over-dosing. The more you take, the better you feel - until it kills you.

Bob

Old 10-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #3
    nickkaylee
    (female)

nickkaylee HB User
    Re: Dexedrine question

Actually, my son takes Dexedrine Spansules and it lasts him 6-8 hours or so. Then he takes Dextrostat when he comes home from school at 3 which is the shorter acting version of the Dexadrine. My son is only 11 and he takes 20 mg. of the Dexedrine and 15 mg. of the Dextrostat.

Closed Thread