It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

ADD / ADHD Message Board

• Dexedrine vs Adderall

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
    Bill17724

Bill17724 HB User
    Dexedrine vs Adderall

[I am currently taking Dexedrine 10mgs and not getting any real response. Has anyone taken both dexedrine and adderall and can let me know what they thought the differences were? Or what about ritalin? I am seeing my doctor in a few days and I would like to be in control of what she prescribes for me...within reason, of course. I think at this point she is still open to trying different things. Any response would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User
    Re: Dexedrine vs Adderall

I've been on Dexedrine, Adderall, and Ritalin, and for me Dexedrine works much better than the other two. I believe it is more potent also, although I could be mistaken. The effects of the Ritalin didn't last long enough; Adderall made me feel good, but was less effective on the ADHD symptoms, which, of course, is the whole reason for taking these meds. I'm currently taking 40mgs. of Dexedrine a day, and I wonder if your dose is too low for you to feel any effect. Something to talk with your doc about, maybe. Good luck! Sue

Old 10-03-2005, 09:49 PM   #3
    Bill17724

Bill17724 HB User

Sue

Thanks for your response to my question. In what way did the adderall make you feel better? I mean do you feel just as good on the dexedrine? I'm going to see my dr next week and I'm going to have to make a choice between the two. I mean if there is a signifigant difference as to how they make you feel...in other words do you feel good on dexedrine, too, but just not as good as on adderall? Sorry for the stupid question, you just made me curious when you said you feel better on the adderral. Thanks for clarifying.

Bill

Old 10-04-2005, 06:50 AM   #4
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

Hi, Bill..By "made me feel good" I meant mood-wise. Dexedrine's the best choice for me in terms of helping me focus, decreasing the physical restlessness, and helping me sleep better, and it didn't make me feel bad or anything, but I found that Adderall had the best mood-stabilizing effects. I solved this by taking Wellbutrin for the mood part of things and staying on Dexedrine to take care of ADHD symptoms. I've been on these two for several years now, and this combo is still working very well. Hope this clarifies things! Sue

Old 10-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #5
    Bill17724

Bill17724 HB User

Sue

Thanks for the clarification. It sounds like my choice should be dexedrine if things work the same way for me as they do for you. I sure would like to be able to read! Thanks again...

Bill

Old 10-04-2005, 07:04 PM   #6
    nickkaylee
    (female)

nickkaylee HB User

My 10 year old son takes 20 mg. of Dexedrine in the morning and 15 mg. of Dextrostat (shorter acting) in the afternoon. I'd say maybe your dose is too low. Adderall did nothing for him.

Old 10-04-2005, 07:46 PM   #7
    StitchCarver
    (male)

StitchCarver HB User

Bill, I've only tried Adderall, and it does work pretty well for me, but what's catches my eye about this post is that I've "heard" that Dexedrine is the stimulant with the most effects on mood, which would contridict what Suecat said. Suecat, did you feel less of a mood lifting effect with dexedrine, but more focus, or the same mood lifting effect as with adderall, but more focus? Just curious 'cause I do get a bit of a mood lifting effect with Adderall, and I feel really focuses.

Old 10-04-2005, 08:16 PM   #8
    Suecat3

Suecat3 HB User

Hi, Stitchcarver...no, I don't get the same mood-lifting effect from Dexedrine that I did with Adderall, but I do get much better relief from the ADHD symptoms. I think that it's such an individual thing, the way we each respond to the different meds. What's true for one may not be true for the next. It took some experimentation with meds and dosages before I hit on the right combination. Sue

Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 PM   #9
    Jack Saturn
    (male)

Jack Saturn HB User

Like many others,I have tried Add,Dex,and Rit for ADD.These are the main differences,as far as basics:
    1) Adderrall is composed of 4 different Amphetamine salts and was originally used in the 60's as a weight-loss drug called Obitrol.It has more effect on some folks respiratory system than others,so it was also less likely to be abused.It was re-marketed in the mid-90's as Adderrall,ADD drug.It also lasts longer than the other 2.
    2) Dexedrine has been around for 50 years ,at least,cause it became useful during WWII to fight fatigue.It has only 1 Amph.salt,Dextroamphetamine,and lasts nearly as long as the "ADDY's".It is smoother and less shaky,too.
    3) Ritalin is a name given to that form of the drug,Methylphenidate.It has very close properties to both Amphetamines and Cocaine,but is less potent and lasts about 4 hrs.in the IR form.Lon-acting forms of all 3 drugs do exist.
    Hope this helps,Jack Saturn

Closed Thread